Pokemon Black/White Surprises Nobody By Selling Amazingly Well

Scott Bullock

Nov 11, 2010
Pokemon Black/White Surprises Nobody By Selling Amazingly Well

The Pokemon franchise has a tradition of outdoing itself (and everyone else, for that matter) every time it puts out a new game, and this was no exception.

Pokemon Black/White is the fastest DS game ever to sell 5 million copies, had the single largest launch of any game in Japan, and now occupies both the number 1 and number 2 slots on the top of UK charts.

So I'd say it's done pretty well for itself.

These record numbers weren't exactly unexpected, however. The game was lauded as the "best Pokemon ever" by Official Nintendo Magazine, and Japanese magazine Famitsu gave the title a 40 out of 40 rating, the highest any Pokemon game has received from any publication. Our own John Funk gave the game 5/5 stars [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/8692-Review-Pokemon-Black-White-Versions.3].

Of the two games, (which, as usual, are basically the same except for a few differences in which Pokemon can be acquired) White has sold better, beating Black by about 13,000 copies. Combined, the games are the third biggest UK launch in Nintendo history after Wii Fit and Mario Kart Wii

As the 5th generation of the franchise, Pokemon Black/White had a lot to live up to, and news that the developers were going to change up some of the tried-and-true mechanics of the series caused a minor panic amongst fans. Tinkering with the perfect and ineffable equation of the Pokemon Series? Blasphemy!

It appears the changes have gone over fairly well with the public, if these numbers mean anything.

Source: GamesIndustry.biz [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2011-03-07-pokemon-black-and-white-tops-uk-charts]

Apr 28, 2008
I have White, and I must say, its really, really good.

Plus, the fact that it was only $35 USD helps things.

Alpha Maeko

Uh oh, better get Maeko!
Apr 14, 2010
I take it buying the white or black version gets you a special bonus that the other doesn't have?

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
From what the reviews are saying, Black and White are the best ones yet. I won't get iot cause I'm in the habit of getting the released later, combination one (like Yellow, Emerald, or Platinum). Presumably, this generation will be Pokemon Grey... Hmm. Exciting.

But to the point, the game is pretty much the best so far, according to critics.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Good to see it being successful, but who didn't see this coming?

I'm curious whats in White that made it more successful than Black? Is it the cool looking legendary on the cover(and in the game?)

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
"What's that? We made another zillion dollars? That's cool, I guess... Look what I can do with my eyebrows!"

At least, that's what I imagine goes on at Nintendo HQ.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
I skipped the 4th generation but I bought Pokemon White on the first day and so far it's really good.

Zaleznikel

Sep 3, 2008
I'm not getting it until it comes out on a smartphone.

Hahaha I can't say that with a straight face. Oh Pachter...

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
inb4 someone calls them the same game over again with barely any changes. ---> http://ds.ign.com/articles/114/1143427p1.html

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Armored Prayer said:
Good to see it being successful, but who didn't see this coming?

I'm curious whats in White that made it more successful than Black? Is it the cool looking legendary on the cover(and in the game?)
I am getting pokemon White...mostly for the badass legendary on the cover, but appearantly in White there is White Forest where you can catch Wild Togepis and Porygons, in Black it's Black city or something. In Black City there are no pokemons.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Hazah! Way a go White (I bought White) since I was under the impression that Black had sold more (well people would of gotten Black more).

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
I haven't played a Pokemon game since Gen2 but I have to say...... Pokemon White is pretty awesome!

stupiddrummer

Apr 2, 2010
i got white version yesterday...I love a lot of the changes they made, like IR battles and trades. The c-gear in general is a very welcome change.

Having used most of the wifi features in soulsilver, it seems like they actually play tested it for w/b and got rid of all the retarded crap. You can battle and trade like 5 times faster than in last games.

They did remove a lot of little things though that i'm slowly noticing as i go through the game. They took out the L=A option, so you are forced to play with both hands and can no longer make dinner and play pokemon at the same time...

They also removed the auto-run, so you have to hold down b to run. I imagine this wont be a problem once i get the bicycle...i mean assuming there is one.

These are just little things though. The over all changes to battles and gameplay greatly outweigh the problems ive encountered so far. And im having fun coming up with names for all the new weird pokemon, like Scoutmunk and Gaydog.

edit: feel i should also mention i got white because i thought the legendary looks cooler. i dont know the differences but my roommate got black so i'll find out eventually.

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
I plan on getting Black to go with my 3ds on the 27th (hopefully). What is the real difference? or is it just people buying things based on what colour they like better?

Twilight.falls

Jun 7, 2010
Braedan said:
I plan on getting Black to go with my 3ds on the 27th (hopefully). What is the real difference? or is it just people buying things based on what colour they like better?
There are minor storyline differences and some cosmetic differences. The biggest difference is in Black you have access to the Black City and the White Forest in White.

On an aside note, hurray for the Pokemon series succeeding once more! Let's continue to develop further with each game!

Byere

Jan 8, 2009
I dunno why white sold more than black... maybe it was just the first one everyone picked up.

Myself? I got White. It would have just been because it was the first I picked up, but my friend bought Black and INSISTED I get White (probably so she can nab all my pokeymanz...)

Anyway, on topic...
I definitely agree that the changes they did make certainly were worthwhile.
Firstly, it's nice to have ONLY the new gen Pokemon to get before getting the National Dex. Every time I played one of the other generations, I'd usually end up with a team consisting of pokemon from the first or second gen RATHER than the newer ones. This one, however, means I can look through and find out the ones I like from THIS gen instead and collect other gen pokemon later.

Secondly, graphics. Now, I'm not usually one to pick on or enjoy a game just because of the graphics. I've always had the understanding that graphics do not make a game. However, they can improve how much fun a game can be if done correctly. I've just gotten to the 3rd gym (after a very long 3D bridge area where the camera follows behind you showing it from multiple panned angles) and the city it's in is AMAZING! As you move, the city turns and moves around you as well. There are streets where people are running around busily, not just standing or moving in a tiny area like before. The camera pans around with your character. It's very well done and the game is worth a play just to run around that city alone. Game Freak outdid themselves and pushed the DS beyond any game that's been released thus far.

Another point on the graphics is the battles. Before now, battles have been still and very static. Your opponent appears and makes a little moving gesture, you send out your pokemon who also does a mini gesture. A few static movements and/or graphical pieces for moves. Nothing special. In B/W however, both your pokemon AND the opposing pokemon are moving almost constantly, moves seem a long more real in look and feel. Not only that, they've actually sped moves up a bit. Fury Swipes would make one hit and then wait for the HP bar to droop before making another hit. Now, damage on the bar just instantly disappears and rather than taking about 10 seconds for a move like Fury Swipes, it takes less than a second per hit.

All in all gameplay is faster and more fun and the game itself is much nicer to look at and play. I still hear people moaning about how the new gen looks terrible and there was no thought put into it, but I personally feel that this is the best gen since generation 2 (1st gen still being top of my list, of course). I haven't enjoyed a Pokemon game this much since Ruby/Sapphire was released.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Eri said:
inb4 someone calls them the same game over again with barely any changes. ---> http://ds.ign.com/articles/114/1143427p1.html
Thanks for the link. But as usual, people are going to ignore it and go ahead saying it's just a rehash.

Meanwhile, I'm still not over this alternate dimensional badassery! http://th03.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/f/2010/010/7/6/Giratina_by_aocom.jpg