Tomb Raider Returning to the Big Screen

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Tomb Raider Returning to the Big Screen

The movie doesn't have a writer yet, but sources are already suggesting that it will be an origin story.

Last month, rumors emerged [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107823-Rumor-Tron-Star-Olivia-Wilde-Tipped-for-New-Tomb-Raider-Movie] that suggested there was a new Tomb Raider movie in the works. As it turns out, that rumor was absolutely true, and Lara Croft should be returning to theaters sometime in 2013.

The movie rights to the franchise now belong to GK Films, headed by British producer Graham King. The project is in its early stages - it doesn't even have a writer attached to it yet - but it's thought that GK films intends to make an origin story. According to a statement from GK Films, the goal is to "create daring new adventures for the young and dynamic Lara Croft." This suggests that Angelina Jolie won't be playing Croft a third time, despite her recent work with King on last year's The Tourist, as well as an untitled movie about the Serbian War in which Jolie will make her directorial debut.

As well as the rumor about the project existing in the first place, there was the suggestion that Tron: Legacy star Olivia Wilde was being considered for the lead role. It's not clear whether those rumors are also true, but it's not outside the bounds of possibility.

The third and final part of last month's rumor was that the movie would be darker than previous outings, and looking at King's filmography, it looks like it might have some legs, too. King's previous work includes movies like Blood Diamond, a drama set during the Sierra Leone civil war, and The Departed, which starred Matt Damon and Leonardo DiCaprio as an uncover criminal and cop, respectively, with each desperately trying to discover the other's identity.

King's has also worked on lighter fair, like the recent Rango, but most of his work is rather serious. That doesn't necessarily mean that the Tomb Raider reboot will be grim and gritty as well, but it seems to be a pretty common thread running through all the films he works on. Moreover, with Crystal Dynamics' upcoming Tomb Raider game reboot also aiming for a darker tone, a darker movie would seem to be a rather nice fit.

Source: Heat Vision Blog [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/tomb-raiders-lara-croft-get-165065]

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
Would be interesting to see how this plays out, I actually really liked Jolie as Lara, despite the quality of the films being not so flash.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Ah Lara, when will they leave you alone....she's been plundered more times than any tomb.
Taking that euphemism at face value can really make for some odd images.

OT: Didn't Olivia Wilde reveal she was playing the part in January? I distinctly remember that being a story on here.

And didn't they try the "Darker Tone" thing before with the games except it came off as being retarded since she would act horrified about killing people while firing wildly in all directions.

Feb 13, 2008
manythings said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Ah Lara, when will they leave you alone....she's been plundered more times than any tomb.
Taking that euphemism at face value can really make for some odd images.
Made for the innuendo, glad you spotted it. :)
OT: Didn't Olivia Wilde reveal she was playing the part in January? I distinctly remember that being a story on here.
Mentioned in the writeup.
And didn't they try the "Darker Tone" thing before with the games except it came off as being retarded since she would act horrified about killing people while firing wildly in all directions.
"Darker Tones" usually come off badly because you lose all reason to care for the character. That picture still looks like some anime guy.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
This is nice. I'd watch something new. Just about everyone is willing to reboot a franchise than to let it die these days, which i wholeheartedly endorse.

so when are they gonna reboot the Resident Evil Franchise? cause that one REALLY NEEDS A REBOOT!

Worr Monger

Jan 21, 2008
Revelo said:
So basically the 'reboot' idea is being used again and by a film series that really just needs to be forgotten about...

Okay, Batman Begins started a trend and yes it is a good idea, but with the amount of franchises trying this it is already getting on my nerves, they will try rebooting The Gofather next >.>
Yeeeccchh... Even with the recent news about Blade Runner, I never thought about the Godfather... They wouldn't.. I mean... no.. they just couldn't..

OT: Tom Selleck for Lara Croft, I say..