Tech Company Aiming at 1,000 Player FPS World Record

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Tech Company Aiming at 1,000 Player FPS World Record

[vimeo=20338131]

A new form of network technology could see 1,000 players fragging each other in the same game.

The typical online multiplayer shooter will only pit a few dozen players against each other at a time. The network technology required to do any more than that can get complicated. Games that allow 12, 24, or even 256 players like the PlayStation 3's MAG [http://www.amazon.com/MAG-Playstation-3/dp/B001COV1CY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299598098&sr=8-1] have nothing on network technology company Pikkotekk, which is currently aiming at a 1,000 player game.

Pikkotekk talked to Rock, Paper, Shotgun about the wizardry behind such a feat. The company's method works similar to how cellphones silently switch their users between base stations as they move around.

Pikkotekk's technology would connect hundreds of players to a central "Pikko Server," and several "cell servers." As players move around the virtual world, they'll switch between cell servers seamlessly, taking a large amount of load off the network.

Once Pikkotekk perfects its work, it hopes to go for a world record. It'll pit 1,000 players against each other in a virtual world, and from a web browser no less. Pikkotekk plans to let the public get involved, as it doesn't employ 1,000 people, so keep an eye out for more information if you'd like to participate.

Source: Rock, Paper, Shotgun [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/03/07/pikkotekks-1000-player-fps/]

Dec 14, 2009
500 vs 500

All of them camping snipers.

Imagine the kind death that would be be rained down on a player that went into that killzone.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
This looks absolutely insane, but the good kind.
The maps would have to be so fucking big.

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
And with that we are now one step closer to perfectly emulating a real war.

DeadProxy

Sep 15, 2010
you all notice it said "from a web browser" right? So you'll probably be shooting at blocks with less definition than runescape to hit 1000 people simultainiously

EDIT- ok i watched the trailer...its gonna be one huge flashy clusterfuck, thats for damn sure

Ajna

Doublethinker
Mar 19, 2009
DeadProxy said:
you all notice it said "from a web browser" right? So you'll probably be shooting at blocks with less definition than runescape to hit 1000 people simultainiously
Did you watch the attached video? That's pretty much accurate. Cool idea, terrible graphics.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
When they build something like this for something like Battlefield and it works, let me know. Sure it'll be impressive for a browser FPS too, but mostly from a technical standpoint and still somewhat too far for "real" application :\

Beastialman

Sep 9, 2009
I can see this becoming hugely popular in Korea for some reason.

Eitherway I'll give it a shot, I don't see why not to try it.

DeadProxy

Sep 15, 2010
Ajna said:
DeadProxy said:
Did you watch the attached video? That's pretty much accurate. Cool idea, terrible graphics.
lol I watched it after i posted my thoughts...i wasnt too far off. But we cant say anything really until it comes out...which is a sneaky way of saying im actually kinda interested

S_K

Nov 16, 2007
As a world record attempt fair enough this is fine, but as an entire standalone game all I see coming out of this is LOTS of rage quit, the lemming players will charge in like cannon fodder into an area of the map which is the FPS equivilent of no mans land, while everyone else camps and uses trenches and other terrain advantage best as they can... trust me when I say that's no-where near as awesome as it sounds, it's hard enough to get small teams of strangers to work together let alone 500 vs 500.