Short Film Demonstrates the Dangers of Real-Life Lag

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Short Film Demonstrates the Dangers of Real-Life Lag

High latency can be annoying in Call of Duty, but it can be quite deadly in real life.

At some point, we've all experienced the dangers of high latency when playing online. You click the mouse to blow the head off of the enemy Sniper on TF2's 2Fort, but he somehow gets you, instead. Your heal in WoW lands too late to save the party's tank and you all die. But as irritating as lag can be in gaming, we should all be thankful that we don't have to deal with it in reality.

This short animated video by Guy Collins [http://www.youtube.com/user/guyjcollins] gives us a brief glimpse at what real life might look like if we were suffering from latency issues. Think about how much more difficult it would be to do simple things like drinking, opening doors, or driving a car - all of which happen in the minute-and-a-half sketch.

It's cute and silly, and if nothing else it'll make you feel better the next time the server doesn't register the fact that you totally jumped over that super Hadouken in Marvel vs. Capcom 3. Get a better ISP, noob!

(Thanks, biodisaster!)

Aedes

Sep 11, 2009
The lag! Kill it with fire!!!

It would be terrible to have it in RL indeed. Silly short, yet amusing.

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
Neptunus Hirt said:
I was hoping for a live-action short, but this was pretty good.
I saw one quite some time ago:

The part on the stairs kills me every time.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
The animation was nice, but this is one video that is vastly improved by the mute button. What the hell was with that awful MIDI/cell phone ringtone looping jingle? Mine ears, they weep.

-Samurai- said:
I saw one quite some time ago:

The part on the stairs kills me every time.
That was better in every conceivable way. Especially that stairs part you mentioned: that part was hilarious.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
This car one is good too:

(I'd edit my first post, but I can't see it right now. Damn forum glitches)

ahiddenfigure

Hunter of Monsters
Sep 14, 2009
That was cute, but is anyone reminded a bit of the old LRR sketch Out of Sync [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWai_0azO0I]?