No Dragon Age 2 for Suspended BioWare Forumite - UPDATED

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
No Dragon Age 2 for Suspended BioWare Forumite - UPDATED

A BioWare fan received a nasty surprise when he learned that his suspension from its forums means he can't install his newly-purchased copy of Dragon Age 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Age-2-Pc/dp/B0047THYWC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1299861319&sr=8-2].

The BioWare Social Network user known as "v_ware" received notification yesterday that he'd been suspended from the service for 72 hours. He claims the reason is that he asked, presumably in a forum post, if BioWare had "sold your souls to the EA devil?" It's a pretty thin reason to suspend someone, although we have nothing but his word to go on in that regard, but he acknowledges his transgression and appears willing to accept the punishment.

His more serious problem is that his forum suspension means he can't activate and play the shiny new Dragon Age 2 Signature Edition he purchased from the alternate account [http://eastore.ea.com/]. "What I did not know was that I needed to activate the game before being able to play it. So now I've got a dead game for 50 euros."

The whole thing had the appearance of an "oops" on BioWare's part until community rep Stanley Woo weighed in [http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/6459941#6460367]. He explained that while BioWare community bans are "forum only," EA community bans are a different beast and can affect access to games and DLC, even when the games in question, like Dragon Age 2, are single-player.

"Because the BioWare community now operates under the same umbrella as all EA Communities, community members here have all explicitly agreed to abide by and be governed by both sets of rules," he wrote. "Consider it an added incentive to follow the rules you say you're going to follow."

As Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/#!5780876/how-saying-bad-things-can-keep-you-from-playing-a-video-game] pointed out, the situation isn't something that's likely to happen very often because v_ware bought it online from the EA Store and hadn't installed it prior to the suspension. But it did happen; by BioWare's own admission, a customer is being refused access to a game he dropped 60 bucks on because he said something he shouldn't have on a forum. And if it happened once, it can happen again, more or less at EA's discretion. Calling that an "incentive to follow the rules" is one way of looking at it, I suppose, but I'm inclined to frame it in somewhat less polite terms.

UPDATE: BioWare Community Coordinator Chris Priestly issued a statement on the situation indicating that the whole thing was a mistake.

"EA strictly enforces the code of conduct at Social.BioWare.com. If a player violates the rules by using profanity, they will be temporarily banned," he wrote [http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/6465725/48#6483189]. "Unfortunately, there was an error in the system that accidentally suspended a user's entire account. Immediately upon learning of the glitch, EA restored the user's macro account and apologized for the inconvenience."

It's not clear how this jibes with Stanley Woo's explanation that the loss of game access was a valid part of the suspension, except possibly that some forum transgressions do warrant it but v_ware's in particular did not. Whatever the reason, he's apparently back in action and in this case, at least, all is well.

Thanks to Knight Templar [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/Knight+Templar] for the tip.

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
I commented on the earlier thread, but just so it's here as well, I was shocked with this and the action they took. This is absolutely ridiculous, I should be able to buy any goddamn game I want regardless of my opinions on the company that publishes it. You got their sale, doesn't mean you have to be worshipped.

This is absolute shit and should never have even been on the table as worthy of punishment, at least not in this way.

the.chad

Nov 22, 2010
he did break the rules i guess... I wouldn't think they would stop you from playing their games though, isn't that how they make business?
still, how dirty would ya be not being able to play a game you spent $60 on!

ddq5

I wonder what the character limi
Jun 18, 2009
Funny how the comment that got him suspended is given credence by Bioware's response.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
As much as they've probably had the rights to do it, it's still a really fucking shady thing to do to your customers, BioWare.

This is terrible. He paid his money. Your rules are bullshit.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
This happened with BC2 accounts all over the place. People think EA are these awesome, wonderful publishers that rise above the standard lately.... how wonderful ignorance must be.

Penguinplayer

Mar 31, 2009
Wow. The guy paid 60 (hopefully) hard-earned bucks to get a brand new copy of the game and he can't even play it because he wanted to dicuss a topic in a forum and show his opinion on a subject. True, he might have gone too far, and was even willing to recieve the punishment, but this is another discussion for another time.

Also, funnily enough, this does means that his point (BioWare sold it'a soul to EA.) is kinda of valid.

TheBelgianGuy

Aug 29, 2010
uppitycracker said:
This happened with BC2 accounts all over the place. People think EA are these awesome, wonderful publishers that rise above the standard lately.... how wonderful ignorance must be.
I doubt there are people who think EA is awesome :p

Honestly though, I don't think anybody at Bioware is responsible.
And wouldn't getting a ban on steam result in you losing all your steam games?

Vayce

Mar 3, 2011
uppitycracker said:
Who the hell thinks that? I have an Extra Credits episode, some commercials, and a whole backlog of shady deals and shitty games to show them!

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
So it is pretty much the next step for DRM? If you aren't nice to the publisher you can't play the game. Next you will have to send them an Xmas card every year otherwise you have a perma-ban.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Meh, lucky i dont asscociate with EA communities.

Really the guy should have known that Bioware is owned by EA as of 2007, so its employees are working with this 'EA devil' whether they like it or not.

And im sure they do like it, or they would have left by now.

SFR

Mar 26, 2009
Okay, I'm completely against pirating, but I'm inclined to say that this fellow should pirate the fuck out of it. He bought the damn game, and he should get to play it. Pirates wouldn't have to deal with this problem, why do those who steal the game get punished less than those who purchase it?

They essentially stole 60 dollars from him. Seriously. Return the favor, guy.

Petromir

Apr 10, 2010
While an over reaction the guy did overstep the line.

There is a difference between critisism and abuse, and what he did, did step over the line, albet only minorly

He will be able to play the game when the ban expires, and once he's activated fuuture bans will disable DLC, and achievements not the entire game. Hell he could play now if he registered a second account.....

simple moral of the story is if you cantt trust yourself to remain civil while critising, then don't post on an account linked to your game. simples

TheBelgianGuy

Aug 29, 2010
This seems to be the latest trend, huh?
We're buying things that apparently aren't actually ours. Imagine you'd put a steak in your fridge, and whatever shop you bought the fridge from comes to take it away, because their owner is a vegetarian.
It's completely ridiculous, yet we gamers always get treated like this.

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
I guess it's a good thing it wasn't a permaban, eh? :p

But yep - sucks big time I s'pose. Might not happen to many people, since it was a combination of poor timing along with poor policy, but still stories such as this will help fuel piracy in these instances. And in this case, I honestly don't know if I could blame them. Conceptually, it isn't much different from the OtherOS thing with PS3s. If you paid for a product and its advertised functionality, you should be able to play it - good forum manners or no.