Nintendo Boss Says 3DS Ocarina of Time Boasts Mystery Improvements

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Nintendo Boss Says 3DS Ocarina of Time Boasts Mystery Improvements

The 3DS has more tools than then N64, but Nintendo is staying tight lipped about how it plans to use them.

Nintendo boss Satoru Iwata says that the 3DS version of Ocarina of Time is "crammed" with features that the original didn't have. Unfortunately, he says that Nintendo isn't going to reveal what these new features actually are until much closer to the game's release in the summer.

Nintendo released Ocarina of Time for the N64 back in 1998. It was the first Zelda game to be made in 3D, and remains one of the most highly regarded videogames to this day. The new version is scheduled to come out in June, and until then, we can only speculate on what the changes might be.

The 3DS has a number of hardware features that the N64 lacked, like its touch screen and gyroscope, and Nintendo has revealed a few of the refinements we can expect to see. The graphics and the inventory screen are much improved - a real boon for navigating some of the games temples - and is using the 3DS's gyroscope to aim weapons like the slingshot. The 3DS also has a Wi-Fi connection, which could come into use, particularly if Nintendo expands the collection element with the Skulltulas.

Of course, Nintendo could pretty much leave the game alone and it would have a winner on its hands. If it's able to streamline, refine, and enhance the experience, however, then that can only be a good thing.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/293308/zelda-ocarina-of-time-3d-crammed-with-things-that-werent-in-the-original-iwata/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS]

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
Severely tempted to buy a 3ds at this point.

All I can say to the prospect of an updated OOT is this.
[HEADING=2]DO WANT[/HEADING]

Apr 28, 2008
I'd rather have a Majora's Mask remake. Maybe if this does good we'll get one. Hopefully.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
Irridium said:
I'd rather have a Majora's Mask remake. Maybe if this does good we'll get one. Hopefully.
Seconded.

It'd be cool if This included Majora's mask, I heard that there's enough memory in the DS cards now to hold both games.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
Hardcore_gamer said:
New features?

Odds are they are just talking about some new fancy 3D effects and perhaps a couple of new items and areas.

I am far more interested in hearing about the Star Fox 64 remake/re-release that is coming out for the 3DS.
I can't disagree, but I'd much rather see a remade Starfox Numero Uno. 64 was great, but the original was so much more fun. With modern graphics and a good framerate, I'd take the original over the sequel any day.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
I'd rather have a remake of (3D remake) of Link To The Past, also I wish they kept the water temple as it was, it was easy, don't know why so many people ***** and whine about it.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Sir John the Net Knight said:
Gee, is one of those features making the game good? I'd rather play old school Zelda anyway. Especially Zelda II, now that game is fun.

No, I'm not trolling. I really disliked OoT and really liked Zelda II. It is possible to do that without dividing by zero, despite what metacritic tells you.
I had a math teacher tell us if we divided by zero our papers would burst into flame. So the next day I brought in a torched copy of my homework and told him I had tried to divide by zero.

Unimportant story aside I'd be interested to hear what you disliked about the game. No, I'm not going to try and say you're wrong; it's your opinion and you're very much entitled to it.

OT: Graphics upgrade looks nice, tempting to pick up a 3DS now but not entirely since I'm still getting lots of mileage out of my first generation DS.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Great googly moogly the 3ds is looking tight. Now imagine flying an arwing with gyroscopic motion and shouting "Smart Bomb" and "Barrel Roll"!

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
rembrandtqeinstein said:
Great googly moogly the 3ds is looking tight. Now imagine flying an arwing with gyroscopic motion and shouting "Smart Bomb" and "Barrel Roll"!
Nono, you have to SPIN the 3DS to barrel roll!!

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
So, we can finally reach the fabled Light Temple and acquire the Triforce?

Wow, as if adding the Master Quest wasn't enough, now I'm SO getting the 3DS just for this game.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Hardcore_gamer said:
New features?

Odds are they are just talking about some new fancy 3D effects and perhaps a couple of new items and areas.
I'd say odds are the improvements are going to be more significant than that, or they wouldn't have bothered announcing that they'll be announced later.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
I like Ocarine of Time, but I'm not shelling out on a 3DS until it actually has games that appeal to me that I can't already play, and haven't already played elsewhere, regardless of whatever "improvements" they've made.

I might have got it if the Rayman game was new, but again, that's just a remake of the second Rayman game. Nothing else that's been announced so far has really appealed to me, and they can't sell me on the 3D of the thing alone, as much as they'd like to. I really can't justify a 3DS for just remakes.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
By adding a feature to screw with your eyes by making you use the gyroscope and 3d display at the same time obviously. No doubt they'll add a wonderful blow into the mic "feature" as well.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
This plus the new Mario games, are the reasons I want a 3DS. And it will be totally worth it, even though the hardware is sloppy and will be replaced within a year.