218: A Penny Saved Is a Dollar Spent

Rob Zacny

Jun 23, 2008
A Penny Saved Is a Dollar Spent

Discount games can be a great way to trim your entertainment expenses without having to sacrifice much. But the temptation of a good sale can also cause you to abandon restraint. Rob Zacny explains how trying to economize on games actually doubled his budget.

Read Full Article

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Great article. I am the exact same way. I rarely spend more than $10 on a game, never more than $20. I'm even worse with movies. Rarely more than $5, never more than $10. Very good article.

ravensshade

resident shadow
Mar 18, 2009
heh i usually play only games that price range to (with a few exceptions for series i love (like empire total war). But yeah it can end up costing alot more. I'm sure i have icewind dale 2 and alot of the older things lying around waiting for a playtrough.

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
I suffer exactly the same problem. I haven't bought a full-price game for a while now (though that'll change by Friday), yet my collection keeps on growing.

"But I had to buy Lost Odyssey and Infinite Undiscovery, they were in a 2-for-£30 sale!" - same goes for Blue Dragon. Of course, I've never played the bloody things because I have no inclination to invest hundreds of hours in a JRPG right now, and haven't for a while, the last one I got really into was Final Fantasy 9.

Still, I got the PC version of Oblivion for £2.99 thanks to student discount and in-store loyalty card points, which was nice. I've had plenty of fun with that, despite already having ploughed 200 hours into the 360 version. We'll ignore the fact that I had to fork out £85 for a new graphics card to be able to play it...

Great article as ever.

stranamente

Jun 13, 2009
You think that paying 59$ for a game is much?
In italy most of the new games that in america cost 59$, will cost 69?.
With the change and everything is about 30$ of difference.
So goes for Batman (ten hours of gameplay 70??), Call of duty modern warfare 2 (same prices), Assassin's creed 2 and so on.
How could it be possible that european games cost so much more, even now, with recession and the euro that's 1,5 to 1 for a dollar?
And games like batman are region free and with multilanguage. It means that the same product cost almost 50% more if is bought in italy...
I'm not buying a game at its release since months...

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
While I generally do go for the highly rated games right just weeks after the release date, I find it hard to resist to Steam's sale offers too. Take the 2K huge game pack, for example. It's twenty games for about ?50. The thought that I should check see which games in the pack would be worth purchasing by itself was quickly pushed away by twenty games for ?50!!! As it turned out, I played three of the twenty and I actually don't have much desire to play the other ones.

Although I do buy the games I know I'm going to like before they lower in price, I don't have loads of money to spend. To keep the bank account from running low, I use a very profitable alternative to bargain bin hunting: Currency crunching! Being located in the Netherlands, I can purchase goods online (specifically downloadable ones) in at least three different currencies with relative ease: Euros, GB Pounds and US Dollars. A year or so ago, dollar rates were exceptionally low, and European tourists took this opportunity to go on massive shopping sprees in New York. During that time I bought the Orange Box on Steam, which still charged Europeans in dollars, three months early and ?10 cheaper than local retail. Nowadays the GBP is at a comfortable position in respect to the Euro, and I can get my games up to ?20 cheaper at sites like Amazon UK or Direct2Drive UK.

So here's a tip for those in advantageous economic regions: Pick your currencies wisely, because a Pound spent is a Euro saved.

mrhertz

Jan 6, 2009
SOMETHING IS MISSING ON THIS ARTICLE !!!

These discounts CAN BE a trap, but they can ALSO be a good cheap way to introduce or to reapproximate you to some genre you already missed or never played before.

By paying cheap you can try the real thing, and maybe you realize how could you stay away from that fun all this time, just because you simply didn´t try it before.

And then you become a fan and a consumer for that new title/genre.

Of course you may hate the title even more, and then you either leave it away and lost the small money you paid for, or sell the game for someone else for the same bargain price you bought it. Anyway its not a DEAD END.

It happened to me this weekend, and I SHOULDNT DID THAT, but i bought Street Fighter 4 on Steam for 50% OFF discount after 1 month from release date.

Everyone knows that I simply dont play brawlers. Once I did when the 1st SF2 came for SNES, and then i quit the genre for all this time. Played a bit Tekken 3, occasionally...

BUT im excited to play Street Fighter again, and this time online, for 20$, so I´m comfortable with that spent.

I guess the safest way to keep on your feet is ask yourself: "do that title/genre is or was somehow appealing to me?"

As for me, if Blizzard offered me 2 years of WoW, or Starcraft 2 for free, I´d pass both. :)

Gunner 51

Jun 21, 2009
I'll admit it's very tempting to grab a new game the minute it comes out. But here in Wales - you'd be looking at a very long wait until a game comes down in price. By the time one can afford the game you were wanting - there's another 50 other great looking games all winking at you like the stars in the sky.

Krakyn

Mar 3, 2009
I just did this on Ebay. In two days, I bought six games that I'd missed out on because they were all so cheap, and I know there's no way I'm going to get to play them all as a student and employee who's busy six days a week. I ended up spending more than I would've on a used copy of Arkham Asylum, which is what I really wanted.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
nice to know im not the only one who every half our has to announce that every console game would be better whit a mouse and a keyboard, and i am also a sales junkie, every weekend i think that steam are angels for lovering the prices and every Monday i think they are evil for making me use the food budget in a few clicks.

Frankydee

Mar 25, 2009
For awhile I used to be the guy who grabbed a big title the day it came out at full price. I recall picking up The Orange box release day for 50 bucks only to find it in the bargain bin in a few short months. After switching jobs I pretty much had to force myself into looking around the bargain bins finding those few decent titles. I didn't have much room to complain I suppose since the bins were usually updated every month or so, picking up God of War COO for 15 bucks, Silent Hill Origins for 10, and Mercenaries 2 for 15.

These days I usually wait for a game to go down to a "greatest hits" price at the very least (20-30 bucks) before I pick it up. Currently I've been waiting for Killzone 2 and Fallout 3 which I don't expect to drop for at least another year or so while developers are still milking them while they're still hot. It's a pain waiting, I used to do this with my old XBox back when I was a teenager, wanting to play Doom3 and Half Life 2. I must have waited a year for the two to drop in price and another 6 months before the Doom3 expansion.

In the near future, considering that I'll soon be joining the Navy, I expect I won't be waiting for price drops on titles so much as trying to finding the time to justify purchasing a game.

D-Ship

Typing From Inside Your House!
Jul 13, 2007
My most amazing bargain bin gaming experience was System Shock 2. For some reason I only remembered bits of the extensive praise my friend gave the game, but just like in this article the price tag was the last bit of convincing I needed.

I still buy a lot of games right when they come out, but my method of budgeting comes down to a lot of self-discipline these days. I try and make it a point to beat old games before buying new ones, and I generally will try and play catch up with my catalog rather than cram it full of fresh releases.

Still, the part about Steam also spoke far, far too true to me. Weekend discounts are the devil :(

Meemaimoh

Aug 20, 2009
As much as I am in totally the same situation as the article writer... what was the point of this article? It basically just felt like "Hey guys, anyone else like this? I know right?"

I was hoping for, I don't know, some tips or something.

Skratt

Dec 20, 2008
I got Bioshock for $5 on steam. I was completely blown away, but I suspect some of that comes from the $5 price tag. In all, I've spent probably $100-150 on bargain bin games in the past 2+ years and maybe $30-50 of that have been games so terrible I wish I could delete them permanently from my Steam games list I am so embarrassed I bought them.

However, it has given me the opportunity to play games I never would have given the time of day before. I know publishers and devs don't want to hear all their hours of blood, sweat and tears reduced to "hey that's a pretty good game for the bargain price of $xx.nn", but it's true - most games aren't worth their release price of $50+, and those that don't release a DEMO so you can play it before you buy it KNOW THEIR GAME ISN'T WORTH THE $60 they ask for it.

Midniqht

Beer Quaffer
Jul 10, 2009
This really hits home for me, because I'm the exact same way. As a broke grad student, I usually try to save money all around, so naturally, when I see that Gamestop is having a buy 2, get 1 free sale, I HAVE to check it out. That ends up biting me in the ass (more correctly, my wallet) as I'll usually end up spending more money than I would have if I had just bought 1 really good new game. You bring up a good point. Yeah, certain titles weren't worth the $60 to some people, but at $20 you'll stop and consider. I think this constitutes a majority of games in my stack. I look at it as more of an opportunity to play games that I never would have given a second thought to beforehand. Cool that you bring up Steam too, because I'm always on the lookout for those sales where they drop the price of a game for a weekend or something. As a student, I think I spend more on gaming by "sale shopping" than I actually spend on food or rent...

michaelleung

Jan 7, 2009
Why should you care about playing a game like Prototype while everyone cared about it? You play games for yourself, not for others. It's a solitary experience enjoyed from the comfort of your home, not some frat party.

Good article though, I agreed about the deals and such. I haven't paid full price for a game since... well, Doom 3. Even games like Fallout 3, I've gotten cheaply through GoGamer or other places, even though it was around launch time. Gems can definitely be found in the cheap games pile (notice how I didn't call it the bargain bin?), and even those misunderstood games are worth it at $5, $10. That's why as a rule, I never buy DD games unless they're really cheap, on a deal, or is really worth it, like L4D.

Echolocating

Jul 13, 2006
This article definitely struck a chord with me. I don't have much disposable income (or free time), but that doesn't stop me from "window shopping" at retail outlets. It helps to fall behind the curve of immediate release dates. Once you get over being the "first kid on the block to have it" mentality, it really allows you to see what games (movies, books, etc.) you wanted for their merit versus the marketing hype built around them.

ReverseEngineered

Raving Lunatic
Apr 30, 2008
Thankfully, Canada isn't hurting as much as the US when it comes to the recession. Still, finances are tight because the cost of goods keeps going up without salary increases to match them. I find myself having to pick and choose games too, often missing out on games that my friends really enjoyed. It's lead me to be more proactive about getting games, but with more free time than money, I've had to find another way to acquire them.

I'll be honest: I pirate a lot of things. Most of them I try once, dislike, and never use again. Some I really like and will even buy a legit copy of because I appreciated it so much. And many other things just never see a dollar from me for their use. It's not fair, but that's what happens.

If developers and publishers want to sell games to people in this penny-pinching era, they need to lower prices or face pirating. I'm not talking morals or ethics here, just economics. Pirating games has become trivial, and will be no matter how hard companies try to invent new ways to block people from doing it -- even enacting laws aren't enough; just ask the prohibitionists.

But people only pirate because it's so much cheaper than buying the game. Getting the games can be a lengthy process, fraught with the risk of viruses, fakes, and everything else you see in a black market. If it was only $5 or $10, many people would be willing to buy it just to save the hassle. I know even for myself, I'll pay $5 or sometime s$10 for a game if I think it looks worth it, even though I could download it for free in less than an hour. I still have respect for the companies and am still willing to pay for things that are worth buying, but $50 and $60+ is just ridiculous.

As the article noted, there's a different psychology associated with cheaper purchases. $5 or $10 is expendable -- it's worth taking a risk on because it's not much of a loss. But $50 is a significant investment, something you can't afford to do more than once or twice a month. That had better be a good game at that price. But how do you tell? Few high-priced titles have demos available, most reviews are full of hype and payola, and if you don't like it, you can't return it, and you may not even be able to resell it. That's a huge risk for $50. So it gets pirated.

But if people are pirating it because it's too expensive to purchase, then lowering the prices will encourage sales among people who are willing to pay the lower price. How much is enough? It depends on the numbers, but I'm sure it's fair to say that, at $5, almost nobody would pirate something, except a small group who will pirate because they want to. At that point, no amount of lowering prices will get more sales. But until that point is reached -- say $5, $10, maybe $15 -- you'll increase sales by lowering the price. There will be some curve of diminishing returns to this that I imagine would balance out somewhere around the $20 mark.

If they did this, everyone would win. The developers complain about piracy and the used market, but with games cheaper, piracy and used sales would be diminished because more people would buy retail. Gamers would get to keep money and would be able to buy more games, making them happy. The developers would win again, because people would buy more games -- they'd still spend as much on games per month, they would just get more of them. Imagine if they dropped prices from $60 to $20 and 3x as many people purchased games. But they still kept spending $60 a month on games -- that means the industry is getting $60/mo from 3x as many people!

Again, I'm not encouraging piracy, nor am I even excusing it, I'm just echoing human nature: if people can't afford it, but they can (and they can) pirate it, they will. If companies lower prices, fewer people will pirate because it makes pirating less appealing, and it will raise sales. Depending on how the numbers balance out, this could mean increased income for the developers and more games for the gamers. Everybody wins.

sneakysnake128

Mar 31, 2009
Skratt said:
I got Bioshock for $5 on steam. I was completely blown away, but I suspect some of that comes from the $5 price tag. In all, I've spent probably $100-150 on bargain bin games in the past 2+ years and maybe $30-50 of that have been games so terrible I wish I could delete them permanently from my Steam games list I am so embarrassed I bought them.

However, it has given me the opportunity to play games I never would have given the time of day before. I know publishers and devs don't want to hear all their hours of blood, sweat and tears reduced to "hey that's a pretty good game for the bargain price of $xx.nn", but it's true - most games aren't worth their release price of $50+, and those that don't release a DEMO so you can play it before you buy it KNOW THEIR GAME ISN'T WORTH THE $60 they ask for it.
I know, Universe at War was atrocious, huh?

Sanaj

Mar 20, 2009
I sometimes can't stop myself from buying games online when there is a sale on steam or gog.com...
However, I only buy games that I actually know something about and actually want to play.

I do have a backlog of games that I own but I haven't played yet... but who doesn't really?

I think I have more of a issue with stopping myself from buying bargain bin DVDs then games.
I use the faulty logic "well it doesn't cost much more to buy it then to rent it..."
even when I know I probably won't watch the movie more than once.