218: Hooverville ... Now Loading

CyberKnight

Jan 29, 2009
Bravo, well done.

Somewhere in the middle of page 2, the narrator in my head broke out into a song about trouble right here in River City.

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
LTK_70 said:
Is there, by any chance, a translation? My American isn't quite up to scratch.

It slightly helps by having this guy [http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/dd/Cletus.gif] read it out loud.
It's less like Cletus, and more like this:
<youtube=QZcCtnUroJs>

Caimekaze

Feb 2, 2008
That was a brilliant, enjoyable read. I came into it expecting to be told about useful modifications for consoles, so I was a little nonplussed until I realised it was designed more for entertainment.

I'm rather bemused at the fact that I understood this article, considering I haven't really exposed myself to anything related to the 1930s. It was rather hilarious internally narrating it in a fitting voice.

Geoffrey42

Aug 22, 2006
I say, this chap has a certain natural gift of rhetoric. Observe the rhythm of his native woodnotes wild. Sentimental rhetoric! That's the Welsh strain in him. It also accounts for his mendacity and dishonesty.

If Higgins were to take this man in hand for three months, he could choose between a seat in Congress and a popular pulpit anywhere in the country.

[a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pygmalion_%28play%29]Source[/a] (Modified)

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
The Rogue Wolf said:
I don't know what's worse. The fact that I narrated this entire article in my head in a 1930s New York snake-oil salesman's voice, or that I UNDERSTOOD EVERY LAST REFERENCE.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to kick my feet up, turn up the old Victrola and let George and Ira Gershwin bring me those sweet soft melodies.
You too? I heard it in an old timey voice and it made me happy inside.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Yeah, there's a definite Hudsucker Proxy vibe to parts of that spiel. Very amusing! If understanding all of that the first time through is wrong, I don't want to be right.