Ninjas Can Beat Arkham City in 8 Hours

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Ninjas Can Beat Arkham City in 8 Hours

Gamers will be able to conquer Batman: Arkham City in 8 hours, but only if they follow the way of the ninja.

Being a ninja must be awesome. I mean sure, you need to go through years of rigorous training and live in paranoia for the rest of your life, but think of all the cool powers you get! Depending on the medium, you can activate your Knife Eye Attack [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75awmrcSXBg&feature=related], and I'm sure that those kids in Naruto have something worth-while that they can do. Maybe not.

According to Rocksteady Studios, another thing that ninjas can do is conquer the upcoming Batman: Arkham City in eight hours. "It's very difficult to put a number on [the campaign's length]," Rocksteady marketing game manager Dax Ginn told CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/293613/batman-arkham-city-campaign-length-is-8-hours-minimum/]. "I can tell you that our QA guys, who are ninjas and obviously know everything in the game, can do just the core story missions, nothing else, in about eight hours, just straight-lining."

"And they know exactly where to go what to do - the most efficient way of doing it. So, someone who has no idea what to do and wants to complete everything it's going to be significantly more than that." Given how Arkham Asylum - as a proper Metroidvania-style game - had a ton of little sidequests to accomplish and plenty of exploring to be done, one can only expect that number to rise from here on out.

Arkham City is out this October [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108413-The-Batmobile-Rides-Into-Arkham-City-This-October]. Better polish up your ninjitsu.

(CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/293613/batman-arkham-city-campaign-length-is-8-hours-minimum/])

FaceFaceFace

Nov 18, 2009
If they want to promote it maybe they SHOULD put an estimate on how long an ordinary gamer could play through it. I'm certainly hoping for much more than 8 hours of Batman.

DarkSpectre

Jan 25, 2010
Sounds like we'll have quite a nice length of time getting to play as the Dark Knight. I am not sure which has me more excited, Arkham City or Mass Effect 3. So much awesome coming this fall.

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
John Funk said:
I'm sure that those kids in Naruto have something worth-while that they can do. Maybe not.
Silly John, Naruto's not a ninja. No ninja would wear something as dumb as an orange jumpsuit. The camouflage would be awful.

OT: If 8 hours is the speedrun, this should be a decent-lengthed game.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
I'm sure it will take at least 15 hours for those who want to finish every side mission and everything. 8 hours is a stealth-speedrun I'm sure.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
well we know how fast ninjas can do it, but how fast can BATMAN do it?

batman is superior to ninjas in every way. (as are pirates and viking but i digress)

coil

Apr 5, 2007
Can't wait till the speed runners get their hands on it to continue the proud tradition of speedrunning Metroidvanias. Watching a proper speed run of something like Shadow Complex or Metroid Prime just gets me all tingly. ^_^

8 hours doesn't bother me at all. I poured a ton of time into the first one and didn't come close to 100%; I suspect this one will be just as satisfying.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Well even if it didn't require Ninja skills 8 hours sounds like a good time for the core missions. I know I spent a long while in AA hunting for all the hidden gems (and the picture of Harley Quinn in that outfit). I also, however, spent hours stuck on that damn Killer Croc level. Let's not see a repeat of that disappointment of a level again.

Osaka117

Feb 20, 2011
My best speed run of RE4 was about 3 hours, and that was a pretty long game (especially on your first playthrough) so I'm sure it's save to assume that City will be just as long as Asylum if not longer.

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
coil said:
Can't wait till the speed runners get their hands on it to continue the proud tradition of speedrunning Metroidvanias. Watching a proper speed run of something like Shadow Complex or Metroid Prime just gets me all tingly. ^_^

8 hours doesn't bother me at all. I poured a ton of time into the first one and didn't come close to 100%; I suspect this one will be just as satisfying.
I'm not saying you're doing this, but everyone seems to be thinking, "Only 8 hours?!?" and missing the whole part where it's the guys who made the game completing it in 8 hours and not just us Schmoes. Also, they were only doing the main story missions and none of the sidequests. Yeesh, evidently reading comprehension has suffered since I graduated.

Spygon

May 16, 2009
News:Day after launch day someone completes Arkham Asylum in under 5 hours

Belgariontheking1

Sep 11, 2008
Well 8 hours is a nice estimation for the core missions of a game. For example I finally played Mass Effect,(Yes I know I'm way behind on this one), and thought that it would be a very long epic game but the main story is like 7 levels long and I beat the game in a little under 10 hours. Though I really should have expected that since most of Western RPGs focus on side quests instead of main ones. So if B:AC is like this I think it should be a pretty long game.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
It takes the guys who made the game eight hours to beat it straight through huh? That's good to know. Means that I'll be play for twelve at least, probably more. Looking forward to this game, especially since it's the last time Mark will be The Joker. Sad about that.

Naruto skills:

Thousands of clones of yourself, near unlimited weapons from paper, make drawings come to life, use millions of insects to "eat" your enemies, Telescopic/x-ray vision, breathe fire, burn things with your eyes, send people in their own personal Hell for several days when it's only been a second, and summon a giant animal. Cookie to anyone who's actually willing to step up and name each person that has said ability. :)

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
i gotta say, this seems damn promising! i mean 8 hours for a campaign seems to be standard now (excluding RPGs), but this is 8 hours, just story missions, by people who know it well. looks like its gonna be a lengthy game, and i couldn't be happier ^-^

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
bahumat42 said:
thenumberthirteen said:
Well even if it didn't require Ninja skills 8 hours sounds like a good time for the core missions. I know I spent a long while in AA hunting for all the hidden gems (and the picture of Harley Quinn in that outfit). I also, however, spent hours stuck on that damn Killer Croc level. Let's not see a repeat of that disappointment of a level again.
i had more trouble with scarecrow, that said I LOVED those segments xD
Yeah he was quite tough in later stages. I just got lost in those annoying featureless sewers. Of course Croc was a piece of cake to take down when he attacked so there was no threat, just boredom.

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
Sniper Team 4 said:
It takes the guys who made the game eight hours to beat it straight through huh? That's good to know. Means that I'll be play for twelve at least, probably more. Looking forward to this game, especially since it's the last time Mark will be The Joker. Sad about that.

Naruto skills:

Thousands of clones of yourself, near unlimited weapons from paper, make drawings come to life, use millions of insects to "eat" your enemies, Telescopic/x-ray vision, breathe fire, burn things with your eyes, send people in their own personal Hell for several days when it's only been a second, and summon a giant animal. Cookie to anyone who's actually willing to step up and name each person that has said ability. :)
Naruto
Tenten
Sai
Neji or Hinata
Sasuke
Itachi
Any one with a contract.

I write Naruto Fanfiction, I could of done that with one hand.