Microsoft Helps Out Battlefield Dad

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Microsoft Helps Out Battlefield Dad

The man who found himself stuck with a copy of Battlefield 1943 that his son couldn't play finally got a happy ending and a way to ensure that he won't run into the same problem again in the future.

Thomas Wetzel, you may recall, ran into some grief [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108464-Blogger-Denied-Refund-for-Game-EA-Wont-Let-Him-Play] with Electronic Arts and Microsoft when he purchased a copy of Battlefield 1943 for his nine-year-old son so the two could play together online, only to find out that the game couldn't be used on the boy's child account on Xbox Live. Things got stickier when EA trundled out its "no refund" policy; the actual amount of money involved was relatively tiny but you can't put a price on principle.

After horsing around for awhile, Wetzel made a @xboxsupport [http://www.lmnopc.com/2011/03/14/psa-when-signing-up-for-xbox-live-lie-about-your-kids-age/] on Twitter, which responded quickly but said, at first, that there was nothing to be done. After a little more pushing, however, somebody asked him to forward the two Gamertags involved, and then the wheels started to turn.

A Microsoft support rep named Davey called Wetzel the next day and gave him a refund for the points he spent on the game, but he also went above and beyond the call of duty by coming up with a way to make sure this nonsense wouldn't crop up again. He confirmed that Microsoft cannot alter the ages on Xbox Live accounts but told him to create a new account, after which he'd send him codes equivalent to the time left on his current Gold subscription to add to it.

It's not a perfect solution - Wetzel's not looking forward to replaying the hard missions of Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis [http://www.amazon.com/Jurassic-Park-Operation-Genesis-Xbox/dp/B000086JYJ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1300397464&sr=8-3] - but aside from that, he says it's just about exactly what he was after. And yes, he used the refunded points to re-buy Battlefield 1943 for the new account so after all this, he'll finally get to play the game with his son.

"A couple of the commenters on The Escapist piece cracked me up. They were applauding my decision to be involved in my kid's hobby," he wrote. "Little do they know I'm dragging the poor kid into *my* hobby. I've been a gamer since I first got an Atari 2600 back in the day, and now I'm passing along the terrible tradition to my son."

He also said he was surprised by the number of users who felt he shouldn't be given a refund because the BF1943 terms and conditions make it clear that players must be at least 13 years old. A screenshot posted by YouTube video [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/mjc0961] to make his point and although the notification isn't hidden away under 47 pages of microscopic text, let's be honest about it - nobody ever reads the T&C anyway and slapping a potentially crippling restriction like this in there isn't exactly playing fair.

In any event, it's a happy ending for the Wetzel boys and I'm glad to see them get it. Way to stick it to the man, guys!

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
its still bullshit, they shouldnt even allow a game to be purchased for an account that cant play it, if they do then thats a trap that should be illegal

Camarilla

Jul 17, 2008
I'll leave my opinion regarding whether he deserved a refund or not etc out, but there's one thing:

'Deeply buried?' His own Youtube video shows that it's included on the game's marketplace page and take 2 seconds of scrolling to find, within the first 6 sentences of a pretty short set of Terms and Conditions. I can understand calling it deeply buried if it's on page 9 of a 14 page legalese strewn PDF, but it's literally right there before you buy the game.

Call me arsey, but when the T&C are that short, there's no excuse not the read them.

Crimsane

Apr 11, 2009
Camarilla said:
'Deeply buried?' His own Youtube video shows that it's included on the game's marketplace page and take 2 seconds of scrolling to find, within the first 6 sentences of a pretty short set of Terms and Conditions. I can understand calling it deeply buried if it's on page 9 of a 14 page legalese strewn PDF, but it's literally right there before you buy the game.

Call me arsey, but when the T&C are that short, there's no excuse not the read them.
Not only that, it's in freakin' caps that jumped out at me as he scrolled. Pretty hard to miss.

Calcium

Dec 30, 2010
Camarilla said:
I'll leave my opinion regarding whether he deserved a refund or not etc out, but there's one thing:

Took the words right out of my mouth... um, fingertips.

Everyone seems to get a refund if they shout loud enough, but at least this guy had a decent reason to. Not the best reason but not the worst either.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Sorry, but America needs the "recommended age limit" to become a legal age limit. I know that opinion isn't exactly popular on here, but it would at least give some validity to decisions like this. The game was rated 13, the kid is 9. These are the same parents that moan when their kids are exposed to "offensive" material in games or online.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Actually he did not deserve any refund, it was there in the information area.

When buying stuff online you should always take a quick look at that kind of stuff. If you do happen to not pay attention to that stuff then it is your fault.

All the needed information is there

Natdaprat

Sep 10, 2009
Morale of the story: You get a refund for a 'non-refundable purchase' if you complain loud enough and get attention.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Is this a news post because The Escapist was the only site that would run with the story?
I don't agree the terms were "deeply buried" nor do I beleive he should have received a re-fund [something that I assume only occurred due to this media "outrage"]. Then again after the news post, created by The Escapist on the issue that, seemingly, purposely mis-directed readers about the nature of the incident I'm not surprised.

Worgen said:
its still bullshit, they shouldnt even allow a game to be purchased for an account that cant play it, if they do then thats a trap that should be illegal
Though this is true; Microsoft should make the conditions clearer for those that refuse to do even the most basic of research.

whaleswiththumbs

Feb 13, 2009
You guys are being horrible to this guy. He just wanted a refund or something for a game he was "tricked" with buying. It may say that you must be 13, but I know for a fact there are many things online that say you have to be a certain age, and they don't eat you wallet out of your pants if it finds out you did it anyway.

EDIT:
+5 cool points for mentioning The Escapist :D

kane.malakos

Jan 7, 2011
How many ToS have you actually read? It may not be the best habit, but 99% of people just scroll to the bottom and click "I agree." I recall the incident where Gamespot or something put a notice in their ToS saying that they got their customer's souls... Should he have read it more carefully? Yes. Do most people read them carefully? No. He purchased the game, he shouldn't be barred from playing and then told he can't get a refund.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
What I find the most interesting about this whole situation was that the game was bought on a 9-year-old's account when the game can only be played by 13+ year olds.

And yet, he was still allowed to purchase the game.

Whether or not the warning was there I don't think is the issue, and if it was it seems that the game itself didn't even abide by it if it allowed a 9-year-old that he wouldn't have been able to play in the first place. That's just shady, I think, and as other people had pointed out before it's akin to letting a 16-year-old buy a beer, then calling the police on him due to "illegal possession".

Bags159

Mar 11, 2011
Jumplion said:
What I find the most interesting about this whole situation was that the game was bought on a 9-year-old's account when the game can only be played by 13+ year olds.

And yet, he was still allowed to purchase the game.

Whether or not the warning was there I don't think is the issue, and if it was it seems that the game didn't even abide by it if it allowed a 9-year-old that he wouldn't have been able to play in the first place.
This and kudos to the customer service representative.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Natdaprat said:
Morale of the story: You get a refund for a 'non-refundable purchase' if you complain loud enough and get attention.
the moral of the story is that ea and ms are perfectly willing to sell you something that they wont allow you to use just because you didnt read all of a contract that is of dubious legality

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
kane.malakos said:
How many ToS have you actually read? It may not be the best habit, but 99% of people just scroll to the bottom and click "I agree." I recall the incident where Gamespot or something put a notice in their ToS saying that they got their customer's souls... Should he have read it more carefully? Yes. Do most people read them carefully? No. He purchased the game, he shouldn't be barred from playing and then told he can't get a refund.
that was actually an april fools joke that a company threw in the tos, it wasnt gamespot, it was just reported by them

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
He confirmed that Microsoft cannot alter the ages on Xbox Live accounts
That's BS.

There's many ways to do it, you don't even need to know how the thing works, just look how isntructions.

Plus, if MS can do it once the age that was put in becomes 18 or 13 or whatever, then they can do it any time.

Madman123456

Feb 11, 2011
Actually, the age thingy should be a recommendation only. If the Parents think their child is ready to play or see this and that, it is.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
I'm tired, so I didn't read the whole thing, but what I'm getting from this is that WalMart gave this guy a happy ending.