AMD Says Long-in-the-Tooth DirectX is Holding Back PC Gaming

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
AMD Says Long-in-the-Tooth DirectX is Holding Back PC Gaming

Richard Huddy, the worldwide developer relations manager of AMD's GPU division, says one of the biggest obstacles to PC gaming performance is simply that Microsoft's venerable DirectX keeps "getting in the way."

I'm not quite the PC hardware nut I used to be so I'll let Ben Hardwidge of bit-tech.net [http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2011/03/16/farewell-to-directx/1] set the stage in his own rather poetic words. "Despite what delusional forum chimps might tell you, we all know that the graphics hardware inside today's consoles looks like a meek albino gerbil compared with the healthy tiger you can get in a PC," he wrote. "Compare the GeForce GTX 580's count of 512 stream processors with the weedy 48 units found in the Xbox 360's Xenos GPU, not to mention the aging GeForce 7-series architecture found inside the PS3."

You don't have to be a rocket surgeon to figure out that 512 stream thingies is a lot better than 48 so the obvious question is, why isn't the PC pounding its console counterparts into the ground on the graphics front? PC visuals are generally accepted as being at least potentially better but side-by-side, the differences are usually slight and sometimes, in terms of overall performance, the PC actually finds itself outpaced.

According to Huddy, one of the biggest stumbling blocks is the technology that Microsoft rolled out years ago specifically to make PC gaming better. "It's funny. We often have at least ten times as much horsepower as an Xbox 360 or a PS3 in a high-end graphics card, yet it's very clear that the games don't look ten times as good," Huddy said. "To a significant extent, that's because, one way or another, for good reasons and bad - mostly good, DirectX is getting in the way."

Those good reasons are what led to the widespread adoption of DirectX in the first place. PC gamers of a certain age will no doubt have fond memories of messing around with VESA drivers or buying "special editions" of games that would only run on specific video hardware but while nobody wants to go back to that era, unified APIs carry their own price tag.

"Wrapping it up in a software layer gives you safety and security, but it unfortunately tends to rob you of quite a lot of the performance, and most importantly it robs you of the opportunity to innovate," Huddy said.

He acknowledged that "programming directly-to-metal" would make life more difficult for just about everyone, as hardware manufacturers would have to ensure component stability while developers push the limits of the performance envelope and PC enthusiasts end up dealing with the inevitable fallout, but he maintained that when it came to the question of performance uber alles, it's the way to go. "In terms of doing the very best for the platform, that's how they would actually achieve that," he said.

Of course, how individual developers feel about that idea depends largely on what sort of game they're making. "I don't want anything to do with that, but presumably it depends on what you're developing," said Chris Delay, lead designer and developer at Defcon [http://www.amazon.com/Darwinia-Pc/dp/B000FDN3HE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1300475385&sr=8-2] studio Introversion. "If you're making Crysis 3 or something like that, then it may be exactly what you want."

Crytek's R&D Technical Director Michael Glueck did in fact say the idea "would appeal to us," although he added, "It definitely makes sense to have a standardized, vendor-independent API as an abstraction layer over the hardware, but we would also prefer this API to be really thin and allow more low-level access to the hardware. This will not only improve performance, but it will also allow better use of the available hardware features."

Wodan

Feb 8, 2010
I am no PC buff, I know enough to make my own PC. But this is something that always bugged me. It always seems like the Hardware is amazing but somehow or someway the software is always a problem. I always had a huge gripe with how Nvidia drivers would always give me issues, and in some cases destroy my Gcards. Now I have to keep in mind shitty DirectX software is robbing me of performance. Sigh I wish things just worked the way they are supposed to...

Matt_LRR

Unequivocal Fan Favorite
Nov 30, 2009
I like the "we have 10x the power, but not 10x better graphcs" argument.

Diminshing returns, much?

-m

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Despite what delusional forum chimps might tell you, we all know that the graphics hardware inside today's consoles looks like a meek albino gerbil compared with the healthy tiger you can get in a PC...

Wow, I'm an elitist, and even I don't flame that hard...

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
There's also the fact that 4.5-year-old-ish consoles are pretty much the main focus of developers these days. That said, I'm pretty sure that graphics is reaching a plateau: the Unreal Engine near-as-damn-it 4 tech demo honestly is not that much better than the stuff Crysis 1 mods or the STALKER Complete mods produced, in my opinion. Ultimately, power will probably be used in other ways (e.g. more open environments, mass physics, and generally making gaming worlds bigger, rather than better looking).

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
I understood everything he said but while I do not believe we would see a 10x increase in graphics power/performance I can at the very least acknowledge that it would be a major bound. Personally I would like to have the option of either using Directx when I want it easy or no Directx when I want to go all out despite a long and arduous hassle.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I just want a piece of software that lets me play anything from Wolfenstein 3D to Crysis. An all purpose piece of tech.

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
Graphics are now in a situation of diminishing returns, no doubt about it. Having 10x the computational power is no guarantee of having things looking 10x better, and this will be true from now on.

This is a reason why nVidia is pushing the use of its cards for general computing instead of just graphics.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Delusibeta said:
There's also the fact that 4.5-year-old-ish consoles are pretty much the main focus of developers these days. That said, I'm pretty sure that graphics is reaching a plateau: the Unreal Engine near-as-damn-it 4 tech demo honestly not that much better than the stuff Crysis 1 mods or the STALKER Complete mods produced, in my opinion. Ultimately, power will probably be used in other ways (e.g. more open environments, mass physics, and generally making gaming worlds bigger, rather than better looking).
I hope that is true because I would be a real bummer when the only feature advertised on the box would be... TWICE AS HIGH GRASS RESOLUTION! Rather than... WORLDS LARGEST 5000 CONTESTANT MONSTER TRUCK DEMOLITION DERBY IN A VIDEO GAMES!!!

spasicle

Nov 9, 2009
DirectX is not holding back PC gaming, it's consoles and the fact that PC games aren't developed for one specific set of hardware.

DirectX is equal to OpenGl in terms of features and performance. As usual, AMD is wrong.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Matt_LRR said:
I like the "we have 10x the power, but not 10x better graphcs" argument.

Diminshing returns, much?

-m
Well, I'll take that over having to get a specific version of the game for my specific hardware setup.

Microsoft did some amazingly great things back in the day, and people tend to forget that without them doing what they did(making and enforcing standards via DOS and Windows) that trying to build a PC would be all but impossible on a normal person's budget.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
i don't really care as long as i continue to find games that interest me doesn't matter what system they are for or what they look like

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
I think the point the guy tried to make is that technology is to a point where the return on actual visuals is heavily attached to diminishing returns.

Someone needs to come up with an alternative to allow software to catch up. Minus Crysis 3 I could build any machine now for under 1500 that would play any game out at the moment on top spec with room to spare. I think this has been the case now for about 1-2 years. Which is wierd since in my entire PC building and gaming career that has just never been the case.

I think because of this (and the price drop on rediculously large and high quality TVs)consoles are easily seen as a better bang for your buck (definetly easier to start using).

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
I still have my Rage 3D version of Mechwarrior 2.

I don't know that doesn't contribute much to the conversation, but it's all I got.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Xzi said:
Even looking as good as it does on DX9 consoles, Crytek had to severely limit the level design in Crysis 2 in order to achieve that. As opposed to the first Crysis which is very wide-open and still absolutely gorgeous because it was designed with DX10 and PCs in mind.
Yeah, I think the prime comparison would be between Crysis 1 (which was a PC only game with a design document that said "lol let's break as many computers as we can with our MASS GRAPHIX") and Crysis 2 (which is a multiformat game with a design document that read "How the hell can we get our engine running on consoles?").