More Losses at PC Gaming Alliance

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
More Losses at PC Gaming Alliance

The bleeding continues at the PC Gaming Alliance [http://www.pcgamingalliance.org] as Sony DADC quietly slips out the door and Dell scales back its role to "contributing member."

Last month the PC Gaming Alliance lost two heavyweight members [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107913-Microsoft-and-Nvidia-Quit-PC-Gaming-Alliance-UPDATED], Microsoft and Nvidia, which despite being a pretty obvious blow to the organization's credibility was played down by PCGA President Matt Ployhar, who said he didn't expect their departure to have much impact. Even Microsoft spun the situation as a positive for PC gaming, saying it no longer needed to participate in the PCGA because all is now well with the platform and it wants to focus on its own PC efforts.

But now the group has suffered two more losses in the form of Sony DADC [http://www.dell.com/], which has slipped off the membership roll entirely. That leaves only two PCGA founding members, Intel and Epic Games, in the upper-tier Promoter category, along with Razer and Capcom.

Sony DADC may not be everyone's favorite member, what with that whole SecuROM thing, but at this point any shrinkage in membership can't help but look bad for the PCGA. It's possible that the shifting nature of its mission as detailed by Ployhar [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107858-PC-Gaming-Alliance-Will-Bring-the-Noise-in-2011] in February is driving the membership changes and that everything really is hunky-dory, but it seems at least as likely that it's suffering from rather serious questions of relevance. If that's the case, this sure isn't going to help.

Source: Big Download [http://news.bigdownload.com/2011/03/20/more-changes-in-membership-for-pc-gaming-alliance/]

ThePirateMan

Jul 15, 2009
I find it funny how I don't hear about the PC Gaming Alliance outside of hearing about them losing stuff, such as members.

And I'm a PC gamer.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
I don't understand - what was their purpose again? This is an open platform - they can't exactly force anyone to make concessions or changes in their business model or something. At the end of the day, PCGA is irrelevant.

skitskat

Apr 14, 2009
bye bye pc games, its been good couple of decades...

well...last...5-6 years havent been good in the slightest, what with rampant piracy and the fact that every game made seems to of skipped the pc entirely or just "postponed" for a while...

wheres that fable 3 i was promised with the release date of december 1st last year?

i remember now, it was postponed 5,000,000 times and i'll never be able to play it unless i get one of those silly xboxs...

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
Nobody does, has, or will care about the PC Gaming alliance besides its constituent population. Seeing as most of that population seems to be leaving, nobody cares bout the PC Gaming alliance.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
maybe if they had done something besides just take membership fees... which Im assuming they took allot of, then people wouldnt be leaving

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
Not having SecuROM in something that starts with PC is a good thing. But it still doesn't change the fact zat ze PC Gaming Alliance zoez nozing!

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
ShadowKatt said:
What's the PC Gaming Alliance and why is it important?
That's my initial response.

TO WIKIPEDIA!

I also don't understand how PC games can be dying. I mean, it's not like we don't own another large computing box for personal use. Possibly with a Playstation 3 or giant X stamped somewhere on it.

2theAJ

Mar 15, 2011
PCGA haven't done almost anything in past 3 years apart from telling "PC gaming is not dead"

Seriously this organization is such a failure, what was the purpose of creating it in the first place?

RT-Medic-with-shotgun said:
I will ask again because i really want to know and google won't tell me...

What is the point of this alliance?
To promote PC gaming. Console gaming are promoted by corporations (Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo), but since PC is an open platform these corporations have zero interest in promoting it. PCGA was created to promote PC gaming, but again they didn't really do anything yet.

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
What the heck is PC gaming alliance? Never heard of them? Can someone explain why this is important? Never heard of them.

Muco5681

Apr 2, 2010
well guys lets be frank here the PC is dead...its true what movie bob said but to that i will add consoles are dying as well my reason we live in a more mobile world with tablets that can work as a mini computer and cellphones that can email(christ i still remember having a nokia 3210 just a few years back it could sms call and knock a dead person dead again that was it)within a generation of consoles i think cloud computing such as onlive will become the new steam just think about it...why would you need a PC when you can play all your AAA games streaming on your Ipad?

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Muco5681 said:
well guys lets be frank here the PC is dead...its true what movie bob said but to that i will add consoles are dying as well my reason we live in a more mobile world with tablets that can work as a mini computer and cellphones that can email(christ i still remember having a nokia 3210 just a few years back it could sms call and knock a dead person dead again that was it)within a generation of consoles i think cloud computing such as onlive will become the new steam just think about it...why would you need a PC when you can play all your AAA games streaming on your Ipad?
You need a PC for a lot more than gaming, and generally it's a lot cheaper (for a lot more and better!) to build your own than to purchase a tablet with limited functionality and limited hardware.

Moviebob might be right about the end of the "family computer area", but he's dead wrong about the end of the PC in general.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
ShadowKatt said:
SinisterGehe said:
What the heck is PC gaming alliance? Never heard of them? Can someone explain why this is important? Never heard of them.
They somehow, by the act of existing, promote PC gaming. So, really, they don't do anything. Competition and profits promote PC gaming, just like every other gaming platform in history.

Muco5681 said:
Integration has its advantages, but integrating gaming into every day devices is not really a valid idea. You get your _______(insert random tower defense game), and you get your Angry Birds. And on an exceptionally rare occasion you get your Infinity Blades. You do not get your Skyrims or your Call of Duty's, or your Total War 2's on this platform. To assume that anyone wants games relegated to tiny screens with dodgy on screen controls is just plain poor sighted. Also, the technology in PC's advances much faster than your iPad or you smartphone, and you can upgrade components versus having to purchase a whole new iteration. It's this view that holds back PC gaming in general. Other consoles will lead to a dead end far sooner than any PC will, and a smartphone is not a valid platform because of the price points and the rate at which it progresses in such a manner that newer things cannot be played on older iterations.

MovieBob was dead wrong I think, and it's not because I am a PC fanboy, it's simply because it's easy to see the disadvantages of moving gaming to exclusively mobile platforms. I am not afraid to say that I do have an aversion to some of the points of view of columns such as MovieBob's and Extra Credit for no other reason than they are presented as fact and not opinion, which is what they are. What I am saying is obviously my opinion, but I'm not stating it as fact.

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
I have never heard about this PC Game Alliance before their two other losses.
I expect this alliance to dissolve quite soon to be honest.

Muco5681

Apr 2, 2010
Baresark said:
ShadowKatt said:
SinisterGehe said:
They somehow, by the act of existing, promote PC gaming. So, really, they don't do anything. Competition and profits promote PC gaming, just like every other gaming platform in history.

Muco5681 said:
Integration has its advantages, but integrating gaming into every day devices is not really a valid idea. You get your _______(insert random tower defense game), and you get your Angry Birds. And on an exceptionally rare occasion you get your Infinity Blades. You do not get your Skyrims or your Call of Duty's, or your Total War 2's on this platform. To assume that anyone wants games relegated to tiny screens with dodgy on screen controls is just plain poor sighted. Also, the technology in PC's advances much faster than your iPad or you smartphone, and you can upgrade components versus having to purchase a whole new iteration. It's this view that holds back PC gaming in general. Other consoles will lead to a dead end far sooner than any PC will, and a smartphone is not a valid platform because of the price points and the rate at which it progresses in such a manner that newer things cannot be played on older iterations.

MovieBob was dead wrong I think, and it's not because I am a PC fanboy, it's simply because it's easy to see the disadvantages of moving gaming to exclusively mobile platforms. I am not afraid to say that I do have an aversion to some of the points of view of columns such as MovieBob's and Extra Credit for no other reason than they are presented as fact and not opinion, which is what they are. What I am saying is obviously my opinion, but I'm not stating it as fact.
you do have a point but with the rampant piracy of PC games i think the dev's will find its way to the console in order to avoid piracy and even consoles cant stay piracy free forever that is why i think devs will move on to onlive since the user don't have the game so they cant modify anything on the games end...after all what better way is there to control piracy then to take it out of the hands of the gamers?