Hacker Awarded for Discovering Rift Security Issues

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Hacker Awarded for Discovering Rift Security Issues

Trion MMO Rift is now more secure thanks to a hacker from the game's community.

As with many MMOs, Trion's Rift [http://www.amazon.com/Rift-Pc/dp/B002I0HIC8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1300812942&sr=8-2] has been under assault from the seedy underbelly of the hacking community trying to gain access to people's accounts since its release in early March. While these hackers are a thorn in Trion's side, it isn't bothered by all of them.

An "ethical hacker" that goes by the alias "ManWitDaPlan" and works at a security firm by day found a loophole in Rift's servers, but instead of using it to cause trouble, he told Trion. After learning of it, Trion jumped to fix the potential exploit.

ManWitDaPlan told ZAM it was a loophole that was "easy to miss" at first. He commended Trion for its swift response, saying it channeled Bruce Lee and hit the exploit right away, acting within two hours. It's a good sign that Trion is working hard to protect its customers.

According to rumor, ManWitDaPlan received a special reward, perhaps a lifetime subscription to Rift, for his efforts. ManWitDaPlan said he'll "be around [Rift] for a while." Unethical hackers, beware!

Source: PCGamer [http://rift.zam.com/story.html?story=25684&storypage=1]

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
I bet certain other MMOs would probably just ban him and call him a cheater for daring to find an exploit in their "perfect" game.

Konatacalypse

Dec 30, 2010
Eri said:
I bet certain other MMOs would probably just ban him and call him a cheater for daring to find an exploit in their "perfect" game.
Sadly I believe this.

Good job ManWitDaPlan you are not an asshole.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Eri said:
This happens even more often than you know. :/

Konatacalypse said:
Eri said:
Sadly I believe this.

He is bro. :p

OT: Brofist for haxbro. :p

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
Good to hear. Rift isn't the greatest game, but it certainly doesn't deserve to be exploited. I think every MMO should find someone like this to dig up weaknesses.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Wonder how long it'll take until he decides to supplement that infinite time with some more in-game cash by "ethically" hacking people's accounts.

Sep 14, 2009
stuff like this is good to see, that hackers aren't "all bad" per say (not saying they all were to begin with, but most of the media captures the nastiness of it)

respect points +1 to manwitdaplan and trion

Tuqui

Mar 2, 2011
Irridium said:
So... what was the exploit?
Apparently there was a loophole in the login code that let u log into other people account without the need of user and pass.

This shows there are a lot of good people out there :D

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
LegendaryGamer0 said:
Eri said:
This happens even more often than you know. :/

Konatacalypse said:
Eri said:
Sadly I believe this.

He is bro. :p

OT: Brofist for haxbro. :p
Falcon Bro-Fist!

CommanderKirov

Oct 3, 2010
Even though I have not a slightest interest in another hotkey MMO.
I have to say, thumbs up for Trion. Real gentleman like behavior

Also big thumbs up for the Hacker that proved that there are people with computer savy that can act classy instead of exploiting the problem.

Raesvelg

Oct 22, 2008
Pumpkin_Eater said:
Sony would do well to take some pages from Trion's playbook.
There's a wee difference between hacking something then telling the people who own it what you did, and that they should fix it, and hacking something, then telling the world how to hack it too.

I imagine, for example, that if GeoHot had gone directly to Sony and said "Hey guys, I hacked the PS3, here's how, you might want to fix that", he probably wouldn't be in half the trouble he's in now, and if he'd done it right, he probably could have even gotten the credit for it.