Dead Space Movie Still Kicking, Says Director

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Dead Space Movie Still Kicking, Says Director

The man behind the upcoming Preacher [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107951-Preacher-Movie-Nabs-Director-of-I-Am-Number-Four] film thinks it would be "fun" to make a movie as scary as Dead Space.

Director DJ Caruso says that the live-action Dead Space movie is still in development, despite very little news about it since its announcement [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93442-More-Dead-Space-on-the-Way] in 2009. Caruso's previous work includes the Shia LeBeouf movies, Disturbia and Eagle Eye.

Speaking in a video interview to promote his most recent movie, I Am Number Four, Caruso said that he had originally started work on a prequel story, but that it hadn't worked out quite as well as he had hoped. He said that what he really wanted to do was capture the horror of playing Dead Space in movie form, and thought that that would be a lot of fun to make a film like that.

To give I Am Number Four star Alex Pettyfer, who was being interviewed with him and had never played Dead Space, an idea of how scary the game was, he related a story from when he first received it from EA. He had stepped into another room to speak to his wife, leaving his two sons playing the game. All of a sudden, they heard an almighty scream coming from the boys, and rushed in to see what the matter was. They found the two boys breathlessly exclaiming that Dead Space was the scariest game ever made.

It seems like Caruso is a pretty big fan of Dead Space. Obviously, he's not going to say anything bad about the game in public, but all the same, there's an enthusiasm for the project that seems rather genuine. Whether that enthusiasm will translate into a good movie is harder to gauge, but it certainly can't hurt.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2011/03/21/dead-space-movie-still-in-production-caruso-toyed-around-with/]

standokan

May 28, 2009
You know, that wouldn't make THAT bad of a movie, they might even be able to pull it off.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
To give I Am Number Four star Alex Pettyfer, who was being interviewed with him and had never played Dead Space, an idea of how scary the game was, he related a story from when he first received it from EA. He had stepped into another room to speak to his wife, leaving his two sons playing the game. All of a sudden, they heard an almighty scream coming from the boys, and rushed in to see what the matter was. They found the two boys breathlessly exclaiming that Dead Space was the scariest game ever made.
That's some great parenting there. Personally the horror elements of the game were more comical when I played.

Anyway, I would be willing to give a Dead Space movie a shot...even though Disturbia was a movie I really...really didn't care for. I mean, it can't be worse than Doom (the movie being pretty similar to Dead Space)

As for the title of the article, 'Dead Space Movie Still Kicking Says Director': I wonder how many people will exclaim, 'quick! Cut off the legs or it won't die!' I was thinking it personally ^^;

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
Hell, as long as they cast Gunnar Wright as Isaac, I'm chill with it. Well, and sticking to the basic premise would be nice as well, of course.

Alandoril

Jul 19, 2010
If it follows a line of creeping, insidious dread that something like the necromorphs really represent rather than just the brutal carnage they unleash [or a combination of the two for filmic purposes :D] then it could be a truly awesome sci-fi horror.

spwatkins

Nov 11, 2009
I don't know much about Dead Space and I didn't see Disturbia but I had to mention that Eagle Eye was one of the worst movies that I have personally seen so I'm afraid this might be bad news for fans of Dead Space.

Visulth

Jun 25, 2009
No no no no no.

I've been tricked by Director/Actor/Whomever enthusiasm before.

I remember what the director of Dragonball Evolution and what James Marsters said. They claimed they were fans. That they loved the property. They watched it with their children. The actors all read the manga. All this bullshit.

And do you know what we got? Quite possibly one of the worst movies ever made.

I'm not a huge Dead Space fan, but let me warn ye who are: this is not good news.

Mister Benoit

Sep 19, 2008
Can't they just make another anime? The original one was alright, with a little more love it could of been great,

The Real Sandman

Oct 12, 2009
EmperorSubcutaneous said:
Isn't it already out? And called Event Horizon?
Yeah... pretty this.

Seriously,

While Dead Space is not a complete ripoff, the setup, the characters, the pacing, and few key moments are virtually indistinguishable from Event Horizon.

EDIT:

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
A movie as scary as Dead Space? Aren't all horror movies as scary as Dead Space, and by that I mean hardly scary at all? The only difference is that there would have to be an orchestra in the background who was paid to go absoultely insane on their instruments whenever a necromorph shows up.
I enjoy Dead Space because it's fun and I generally enjoy the story, but without the fun and hilariously terrible death sequences (which are so ridiculous that Dead Space is now an adjective in my personal vocabulary which means "Ridiculous gore with very little effort to trigger), then this will pretty much be another horror film.
(Also, the reason I use dead space instead of Mortal Kombat is because in MK it actually looks and sounds like it actually hurts and takes effort. In Dead Space, as Yahtzee said, everyone's limbs are attatched with wet paper towels.)

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
EmperorSubcutaneous said:
Isn't it already out? And called Event Horizon?
It took 6 responses before someone said this? The internet must be slipping!

But in all seriousness, I think that Dead Space is one of those rare titles that might actually make for a decent film, considering how clearly inspired by various pre-existing cinematic properties it was. I'm not saying it would be a particularly original film mind you, but it certainly wouldn't take much to adapt what's there into a film that, in a surprising twist, might be a great deal scarier than the game; the horror elements of Dead Space were somewhat betrayed by the constraints of gameplay mechanics, so removing gameplay from the equation could objectively improve the potential for genuine horror.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
If they do make that game into a film then it better be good, otherwise to me it would a generic sci-fi horror movie.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Shoggoth2588 said:
As for the title of the article, 'Dead Space Movie Still Kicking Says Director': I wonder how many people will exclaim, 'quick! Cut off the legs or it won't die!' I was thinking it personally ^^;
Well, that's certainly what I'm thinking now, thanks.

GoGo_Boy

May 12, 2010
Dead Space is nothing like Event Horizon oh wait, a horror movie that plays in space, gotta be the same then.
Maybe I'm even wrong and there's a Marker and Necromorphs in EH? And the Church and Planet Cracking? Perhaps I always missed something when watching that movie.

But a Dead Space movie will most definitely turn out to be huge crap.
I doubt they'd put in enough of a budget to make the settings authentic enough and god, probably the writer doesn't even play Dead Space.

Just look at the pathetic piece of crap that is the 2 animated movies. Disgusting, and not in the way Dead Space 2 should be :/

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
It wouldn't be a bad movie...but..I have to ask, how old are his kids? Dead Space is a rated M game (Or 18+ if you live outside the states), there is no way they can be old enough to play it. And I could also challenge his kids claim of it being the scariest game ever. Only thing to ever make me jump in it was a single flashback. Everything else is a confusion between scary and gore.

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
Dead Space isn't particularly scary though... it's all jump scares. I'm sure if they really tried they COULD make the mix of iscolated atmosphere in a hostile envorinment very eerie and emotionally creeping... but would they? Chances are, when there are CGI monsters they can have saying 'Blargh' then that'll be a no.

As much as I love Dead Space, it doesn't really have...MUCH in the story department.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Pettyfer sneezes and Caruso automatically chimes "God bless you". Seems like a decent fella. He does genuinely seem to like the game and it's plot. That said enthusiasm alone can't carry a project, in fact it can get in the way of an objective analysis. Uva Boll really loves games and he does a horrible job every time. We'll see how this turns out. I can't say I've ever seen one of his movies but I have to automatically assume he knows something about what he's doing form his big-budget repertoire.

And man, that was some bullshit from the interviewer on the Willy Wonka role. The actor did not look amused.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
They already made a movie as scary as Dead Space.

It's called Wallace and Gromit.