Toys R Us Offers "Buy One, Get One 50% Off" 3DS Game Sale

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Toys R Us Offers "Buy One, Get One 50% Off" 3DS Game Sale

If you're planning to get a 3DS and some games on launch day but aren't sure where to go shopping, Toys R Us has a pretty tempting offer.

This Sunday is going to be a big day for game retailers, thanks to the fact that Nintendo is launching the 3DS. There are, undoubtedly, going to be a a number of bundle deals, but Toys R Us has announced a pretty good launch day bargain: a "buy one, get one half off" deal that will apply to all 3DS games.

The deal is only going to be available on Sunday, and many stores will feature 3DS demos on Sunday from 12-3 PM that day. On top of all this, Toys R Us has announced that it's offering up to $75 in credit to people who trade in their DS hardware towards a 3DS.

Toys R Us's deal sounds like a pretty good one, overall, provided you've got around $350 in spare change to throw around. I, on the other hand, am going to have to wait on that transaction, seeing as how I've got rent to pay.

Source: Joystiq

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
I too must wait, between rent and needing to finish my graduate thesis. URK

Smeagol150

Emperor of the Moon
Oct 20, 2008
Toys R Us is still in business? They closed the one near me and I had thought they'd have died out by now.

HyenaThePirate

Jan 8, 2009
Two 3DS's for $350? Less if you trade in your old DS for $75?! This is how Nintendo has such a strong built in install base: That's a Black Friday, MUST BUY offer. I'll be sleeping outside my local freaking toys r us for that. Then, during the ensuing inevitable shortage, I'm going sell that extra 3DS (assuming that the technology isn't shoddy and plagued with failures and hardware meltdowns within the first few months, and if I don't suddenly go blind from having my eyes melted) for a nice, tasty fat premium.

Ah, Greed. It makes me warm at night.

bladester1

Feb 5, 2008
HyenaThePirate said:
Two 3DS's for $350? Less if you trade in your old DS for $75?! This is how Nintendo has such a strong built in install base: That's a Black Friday, MUST BUY offer. I'll be sleeping outside my local freaking toys r us for that. Then, during the ensuing inevitable shortage, I'm going sell that extra 3DS (assuming that the technology isn't shoddy and plagued with failures and hardware meltdowns within the first few months, and if I don't suddenly go blind from having my eyes melted) for a nice, tasty fat premium.

Hate to burst your bubble, but the article says buy one get 1/2 for the games.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
So basically you get 25% off if you buy two 3DS games.

That's a good deal, obviously.

Rubberbandninja

Sep 30, 2009
I'll skip this deal... because there aren't two 3DS games I want. That's not to say the launch games are bad, they're just not my type of thing. I mainly play RPGs, Zelda, Harvest Moon, and a few puzzle games. I only pre-ordered it because I knew the trade-in value of my DSi would drop like a rock once the 3DS comes out. With my self-control, I'd be getting it before the year's over anyway because of:
1. potential cool games coming later,
2. eventual streaming 3D Netflix, and
3. classic gameboy games eventually downloadable.

HyenaThePirate

Jan 8, 2009
bladester1 said:
HyenaThePirate said:

Hate to burst your bubble, but the article says buy one get 1/2 for the games.
Bubble bursted.
I think... I think I'll go /wrists now...

Notthatbright

Apr 13, 2010
This better be legit because I just cancelled both of my preorders for 3DS games.

I'm going to pick up Nintendogs Plus Cats for the girl and Street Fighter for me.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
I too must wait, because there are no 3DS games worth my money coming out at launch, so I'm not going to buy one and get a second half off when I don't want any of them.

I mean the only thing that slightly interests me is Bust-a-Move Universe, but when it's developed by Arika and not Taito and then published by Square Enix, that is not something I'm going to rush out and buy. I'll wait for reviews and if the game isn't terrible, I'll wait some more so I can get it cheaper just in case (I remember when reviews said Sonic Rush was a good game and so I bought it and found myself playing a game that was almost as bad as Bubsy 3D).

Desert Tiger

Apr 25, 2009
Christ, I hope they don't release the next Pokemon games on the 3DS. I'd hate to have to buy the frigging thing.

Ghaleon640

Jan 13, 2011
But... but... I only own like 7 ds games. Will the new one have anything thats... you know, good? I so badly want Megaman legends 3, but... I think i'll have to wait and see some reviews.

Granted, if they're publishing pokemon for it, like they have for all the nintendo games in the past... yeah, fine I'll get a 3ds, but I'm not going to be thrilled. Maybe.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Desert Tiger said:
Christ, I hope they don't release the next Pokemon games on the 3DS. I'd hate to have to buy the frigging thing.
Count on it. Black and White *will* be the swan song for Pokemon on the DS.
In fact, the DS probably has about one more year of anything relevant (or first party support).
Well, Toys R Us obviously doesn't care if they take a "loss" on the games; the launch lineup is total shit.

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
Maybe I need to buy the games there, and then wait for a paycheck or two to buy my own 3DS. My brothers are getting theirs on launch day, and unlike them, I have bills to pay.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
I misread at first, and thought it applied to the handhelds themselves. If it did, would've run out and gotten two for my partner and I ASAP.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
So, you could buy two games, e-Bay the other one at 75% of its retail price (a good deal any which way), and thus get your keeper game at 25%?