Extra Punctuation: BAFTAs Are Bollocks

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
BAFTAs Are Bollocks

Yahtzee complains about which games won the British Academy of Film and Television Awards.

Read Full Article

KILGAZOR

Magnificent Retard
Dec 27, 2010
In my opinion, all awards like these are bollocks, but I am really disappointed with the people who voted Blops as the game of the year... even the multiplayer of that game was a load of gimmicky unbalanced crap.

Must...resist....not...to....say....first....

EDIT: Holy fuck, I just noticed Blops got nominated for story. What. The. Fucking. Hell.

L4Y Duke

Nov 24, 2007
Yeah... I'd have to call foul on that last one too. No way was Call of Doody: Bullplops the best game of 2010.

On a different forum, I voted Halo: Reach, simply because it's keeping the tradition of split-screen multiplayer alive, without following the masses into the "Online or bust" deathpit.

Looking back, I'm leaning back towards Mass Effect 2, as it has a lot more willpower-longevity* AND doesn't sell out to the multiplayer crowd. Something that requires a very special game to do.

*If you've never heard of willpower-longevity, it's because I just made it up. It's essentially how long the average player will be willing to sit down and play the game, not just how long it is.

DaHero

Jan 10, 2011
Thank you Yahtzee for calling out BlOps, the only award that game deserves is the "bottomless cow with a sign that screams 'milk me' award"

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I guess even if games get their own respectable awards, it's probably a little too optimistic to think it's going to be any more objective than movie awards.

DevilWolf47

Nov 29, 2010
I think the fact that BioShock 2 was nominated for a story award was conclusive proof that the BAFTA is a farce. I know gaming is a relatively young medium but for fucks sake, COD: Black Ops being nominated for ANYTHING?! Give the award to the fucking engine if you must, but don't pretend that Call of Duty had any major innovations since Modern Warfare was released years ago. I'll flat out state it, aside from a few indie developers and some trace modifications, there pretty much were no new games in 2010 at all, just expansion packs sold as sequels that dwindled in quality.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
FIFA 11 got a best game nomination? Just what about the entire FIFA series makes it even remotely valid for that award?
At lest Mass Effect 2 ripped that award right out from under it.

Nice to see Heavy Rain and Brotherhood did well. Two games this year i enjoyed a bit more than others.

Capcom, as usual, got ignored again.

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
Just Cause 2, Dead Rising 2 and Amnesia: The Dark Descent didn't score a single nomination....

-Yahtzee

Poor Yahtzee, finally realizing maybe his tastes aren't as refined as he thinks it is...=*(

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
CoD:BlOps? What the fuck people?

I think it's about time we get rid of democracy. People simply don't know what's good for them... -_-

Before anyone comes to rip me in half for the last statement, I've just one thing to tell you: Hyperbole. Learn it. Use it. Love it.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
It's a popular award. Think in terms of Voltaire: not everyone can reason, and of those than can, most choose not too. If 10% reason, and only half of those do, anything based on the popular is brought in to power by those that have no knowledge of what would be otherwise better for them.

Hooray for democracy.

Grogman

Mar 2, 2011
How exactly does Black Ops get nominated for a story award? The COD games have had decreasingly worse story lines, and it wasn't that great to begin with.

t_rexaur

Feb 14, 2008
I have to admit I feel a little bad cause I voted for Mass Effect 2 for the players choice awards, used the £5 voucher Game sent me to buy Red Dead Redemption, and then realised I should have probably voted for that.

Fun game.

ALPHATT

Aug 15, 2009
heavy is indigo prophecy more or less though, so it wasn't groundbreaking or anything

Nomanslander said:
Just Cause 2, Dead Rising 2 and Amnesia: The Dark Descent didn't score a single nomination....

-Yahtzee

Poor Yahtzee, finally realizing maybe his tastes aren't as refined as he thinks it is...=*(
what the hell are you talking about, do you think this is about refined taste, I bet your ass the nominees were the only games the BAFTA members played all year if they played any games. They are a bunch of well marketed heavy hitters.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
I thought the idea of the BAFTAs was that it would only include British media. Not, you know, French-Canadian games. Or American games. That's why I'm confused there's no nomination for Fable III or whatever. Something British...

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
Its things like this that really makes me wonder if a career in the games industry is the best choice for me...

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
The worst bafta for me was best multiplayer, need for speed? really?

I even enjoy codblops more than that and ass creed bro hood has awesome MP