Bethesda Tinkering With Fallout For Mobiles

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Bethesda Tinkering With Fallout For Mobiles

Bethesda [http://fallout.bethsoft.com] has looked into ways to bring the post-nuclear RPG series to mobile phones but while some aspects of the game translate well, the company hasn't yet found a way to do the whole thing justice.

"I think that the world of Fallout is unique enough that it could work on any platform. I think some of the things we do like iPhone [http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/V.A.T.S.]," Howard told Joystiq. "We've looked into those things, we just haven't found the thing that supports the brand well."

But despite the difficulties, Bethesda apparently isn't giving up on the idea. "I wouldn't be surprised if it does happen one day," he continued. "The iPhone versions that we've designed and said 'Ehh, we don't think we're going to do that right now,' there are... There are a lot of them."

Personally, I'd be happy with some bare-bones dungeon exploration and a VATS simulator. Slow-motion exploding skulls on my mobile? I'd buy that for a dollar.

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
NoMoreSanity said:
I think a game with an isometric perspective like previous Fallouts would work well on Mobiles.
Agreed that is exactly what I thought of reading this.

Arachon

Jun 23, 2008
Malygris said:
the company hasn't yet found a way to do the whole thing justice.
much like the PC/consoles version then... no change there.

"NMAing" aside, the original fallout concept might actually translate pretty well to mobile phones, seeing as people can play Pokémon on phones, I'd say that Fallout 1 might work perfectly allright as well.

obisean

May the Force Be With Me
Feb 3, 2009
Considering that they STILL have problems with the PC version of VATS, if they perfect it on mobile phones, I will be pissed. Wouldn't be surprised though, PC games are usually not on game companies radars, and are usually just thrown together to have it on another medium and hopefully get more sales.

Kyp

Feb 13, 2009
You know, maybe if Bethesda spent less time trying to put their most recent hit on iPods and iPhones, they'd spend more time working on Elder Scrolls V. Maybe a screenshot or two, or a juicy plot detail, or the confirmation that it won't be a damn MMORPG (oh, please, God, don't let Elder Scrolls go the way of KotOR), or maybe even the subtitle telling us where it may take place.

But no, instead it's definately much more important to try to put Fallout 3 on iPhones, because everyone with an iPhone or iPod Touch will definately drop all of their music or other apps to put Fallout 3 on there. I mean, who buys an iPod for music anymore?