Kratos Throws Down in New Mortal Kombat Trailer

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Kratos Throws Down in New Mortal Kombat Trailer

Knives, fire, and severed heads herald Kratos' Mortal Kombat debut.

Gamers all over the world know that God of War star, Kratos, is pretty handy when it comes to dispatching gods and creatures of myth, but thanks to the latest Mortal Kombat [http://www.amazon.com/Mortal-Kombat-Playstation-3/dp/B003O6E1JS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300907417&sr=8-1] trailer, we now have an idea of how well he'd do against ninjas, man-lizards from other dimensions, and evil wizards.

With the blessing of Sony, NetherRealm has included Kratos as a PS3-exclusive character in the upcoming Mortal Kombat reboot. Although it's been months since NetherRealm announced his appearance in the game, this is the first time - bar some leaked footage earlier in the week - that we've actually seen him in action. Kratos isn't an official part of the Mortal Kombat canon however, so he can't be used in the game's story mode.

Fans of the God of War series will likely recognize the various pieces of Kratos arsenal, which all seem to be drawn from God of War 3. His most obvious - and most frequently used - weapon is his Blades of the Exile, which are chained to his arms, but he's also packing items like the Bow of Apollo and the Nemean Cestus. Amusingly, at least one of his attacks seems to trigger a quick time event - similar to those found in the God of War games - although it seems likely that that will be an end of round deal, perhaps even part of his fatality.

Mortal Kombat comes out for PS3 and Xbox 360 on April 19th. Unfortunately for Xbox 360 owners, the console won't be getting an exclusive character of its own.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/295013/mortal-kombat-kratos-trailer-is-official/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-News-RSS]

Xjin

Jul 7, 2009
Talk about over kill. Still wish for Kain or Raziel for MK games.
And the quick times for him are a nice add in.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Great. And I just have to have an Xbox.
Also, I laughed heartily at the QTE prompts. Bravo, Kratos.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
the thing Im still looking forward to the most is the fatalities against kratos since hes pretty much a game villain that you just happen to play

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
I like how his fatality required a quick time event.

That pretty much sums my opinion on the whole thing.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
If you think about it, all the 360 exclusive characters kinda suck compared to Kratos, it would be like that Soul Caliber 4 thing all over again. Fucking Yoda

[sub]I'm holding out for the Viva Pinata fighting game anyway[/sub]

Axelhander

Feb 3, 2011
The Wykydtron said:
If you think about it, all the 360 exclusive characters kinda suck compared to Kratos, it would be like that Soul Caliber 4 thing all over again. Fucking Yoda

I can think of one kinda-sorta 360 exclusive character candidate: Skorge, everyone's favorite Kantus leader [http://gearsofwar.wikia.com/wiki/Skorge].

Space Spoons

Aug 21, 2008
Definitely a worthy addition to the roster, and a great way to celebrate MK returning to its violent, blood-soaked roots.

Still kind of hoping Xbox players will get a similar treat at some point down the line, though. I can't really think of anyone who would fit quite as well as Kratos does, but it'd be nice all the same.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Carlos Alexandre said:
The Wykydtron said:

I can think of one kinda-sorta 360 exclusive character candidate: Skorge, everyone's favorite Kantus leader [http://gearsofwar.wikia.com/wiki/Skorge].
Skorge was weaksauce compared to Raam imo.

I like Kratos's scar on his chest, from the sword at the end of GoW 3, nice touch with that and the QTE xD

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
The Wykydtron said:

So, yeah...i get what you´re saying about not having the extra character :S
The only 360 exclusive characters that i could see working on the MK universe would belong to the Gears of War franchise.

ZehMadScientist

Oct 29, 2010
Kratos really is a badass. Too bad 360 isn't getting an exclusive character, would've loved something crazy like a Big daddy or something :p (I know it's not 360 exclusive but D'oh well)

Midniqht

Beer Quaffer
Jul 10, 2009
I must be the only one who thinks that Kratos in MK looks really hokey and out of place...

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
if that last part was his fatality, then im not buying this game. this game needs god of war 3-level of gore fatalities, or its a no go.