Crysis 2 Is a PC Game First, Console Game Second, Claims Crytek

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Crysis 2 Is a PC Game First, Console Game Second, Claims Crytek

Crytek's goal was to bring a PC game to consoles, says Crysis 2's executive producer.

Crysis 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Crysis-2-Xbox-360/dp/B002BSA1MQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300963252&sr=8-1] might have taken the series multi-platform, but Crytek's Nathan Camarillo says the studio hasn't "consolified" it for the new audience on the Xbox 360 and PS3. Camarillo says that Crysis 2 is a PC game made to fit on a console, not the other way round.

Speaking in a video interview with Games.On.Net [http://games.on.net/article/11963/Video_Interview_Crysis_2], Camarillo said that Crytek wanted to bring a Crysis-like gameplay experience to consoles - something he thought that it lacked - and that fundamentally meant that the PC had to be the primary platform. That goal, he said, was one of the motivating factors behind the creation of CryEngine 3. He said that Crytek had torn apart the engine that the first Crysis had run on, and rebuilt it so that it could scale more easily on consoles.

This new engine also meant that PC users could get the best out of their hardware. Players with a low-end PC could still enjoy the game - something that couldn't be said about the first Crysis - but those with the really powerful computers could turn everything up to maximum and see the fruits of their investment. This is obviously good news for PC gamers, especially those who feel like they're being sidelined by the larger console demographic.

Crysis 2 is already out in North America, and comes out for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 tomorrow in Europe and Australia.

Source: via Industry Gamers [http://www.industrygamers.com/news/pc-roots-are-still-important-for-crytek--crysis-2/]

GoGo_Boy

May 12, 2010
Yeah is so much fucking bullshit PR, pathetic.

If this was a PC game first, where are all the settings a PC game?

Of course this game's focus always lay on consoles.

Alexnader

$20 For Steve
May 18, 2009
I don't care how much the pander to PC gamers I'm not going to get it if there isn't an option to turn off the "ARMOUR MODE ACTIVATED", "CLOAK ENGAGED", "NANOVISION ENABLED" crap that I wind up hearing over and over again. Oh my god the original crysis... "Maximum Armour" "Maximum Speed". WE GODAMN GET IT ASLDKHASKLJDHAKSds

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
If the PC is the 'lead' platform why is the game launching with a two generation old renderer on the 'lead' platform? The same render used on the Xbox, I wonder...

Obviously Crytek's definition of 'lead' platform is different to the rest of the world's.

They should have just come out and said that the Xbox was the actual platform being designed for from the start. I would have been disappointed, but I would have understood the financial pressures driving this.

They deserve all the anger they get for stringing people along. And trying to do so still with this patch. It will be the barest of things to say they have supported DX 11. I expect tessellation to be MIA.

What ever happened to all that money Nvidia forked over.

MAXIMUM BULLSH!T

brumley53

Oct 19, 2009
I played the online demo... it was pretty much Call of duty with a half assed nano suit. Crysis wars was awesome because of all the cool shit you could do by switching the suit modes and now it's been changed to holding jump for a half second longer and completely losing the regular sprint function. this is bullshit they don't give a shit about the PC market they just want to make money off of call of duty's popularity. I really wanted this to be a good game but after playing that demo I'm 100% sure I'm not getting it.

imgunagitusucka

Apr 20, 2010
The Xbox 360 MP demo was top notch, especially for an EA release. It seemed that Crytek somehow convinced EA to ditch the much maligned EA servers for a peer to peer system. Can anyone confirm this?

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
If Crysis 2 is anything like Crysis, I'm not surprised. How would a console even properly run it?

SaunaKalja

Sep 18, 2009
I remember TotalBiscuit raging over how aim assistance was enabled by default. That is not the PC way, oh em gee!

Feb 13, 2008
If there's nothing wrong with Console->PC ports, why does everyone keep scrambling to distance themselves from them?

And what is the correct term for "removing features found in the original, some of which are standard on specific machines"? Because some people seem to dislike the catch-all term of "dumbing down".

NicoDK

Sep 21, 2009
Bull freaking shite.
Don't try to hide it crytek, we won't judge you, we'll judge EA.

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
If I can't disable the HDR without manually editing something, it's a port of the console game.

TheComedown

Aug 24, 2009
Then why the fuck would something so simple as the play button on steam be setting off false positives on my anti virus?

murphy7801

Apr 12, 2009
Those settings are quite easy to access in command prompt. There all there (apart from directx 11) just there hidden for some reason. Anyway not console port just it seem a bit rushed out not to include those settings(im looking at EA here).

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
you know the word Gullible isn't actually in the dictionary.

Yeh i would have gave the game a slight consideration of purchase if it was $50. But seeing that Total War: Shogun 2 charged me $50 and Crysis "generic shooter" 2 charged me an extra $10 for no appreciable reason, Crytek and EA can suck it.

Vibhor

Aug 4, 2010
unacomn said:
If I can't disable the HDR without manually editing something, it's a port of the console game.
It is.
There are only 3 settings of graphics....or so says PC gamer.

Lordmarkus

Jun 6, 2009
DX9 renderer instead of promised DX11, Press start to begin, adjust brightness on your TV, aim assist, only 3 adjustable graphic options, only 2 nano suit modes...

Yeah, looks like an excellent PC-centric game.

Seriously, Bad Company 2 had everything Crysis 2 doesn't have and Dice didn't even try to hide that they were building a consolegame.

Bargainbin it will be. Next!

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I don't even know why this guy bothers.

No force on earth will stop us PC folks from whining like kicked dogs.