Gamestation Defends "Sexist" Ad

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Gamestation Defends "Sexist" Ad

U.K. retailer Game defended Gamestation marketing as "slightly edgy and occasionally controversial" after one of its own employees complained that a new advertising campaign is "openly sexist."

A new GamesIndustry.biz [http://www.gamestation.co.uk/] to complain. "I agree Gamestation should target a more core audience than Game, but I just don't see what this slogan has to add to their campaign or to gaming in general," she said.

"It is pretty openly sexist - girls being cheap, obviously, but it's also pandering to the old stereotype that gamers are guys," she continued. "And of course any discrimination is banned by Game's own employee regulations, so I don't see why the company itself should be able to get away with it."

But Neil Ashurst, the head of public relations at Game [http://www.game.co.uk], which bought out Gamestation in 2007, said the ad may be edgy but simply reflects the realities of gamer demographics. "We welcome everyone into our stores and the Gamestation brand reflects its customer base which is still predominantly the traditional core male gamer," he explained. "Our marketing and in-store POS does, and will continue to, appeal to that audience. Throughout its existence, Gamestation has always been slightly edgy and occasionally controversial. Our customers love this about us."

The employee who complained said the response was "a bit of a cop-out" but not terribly surprising. "I appreciate Gamestation's style," she added. "But I don't appreciate them making me feel I'm not who they think should be buying their products."

Chicks, eh?

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
The stupidest ad I've seen since "Dead Space 2 your mother hates it".
Good job Gamestation...

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
It doesnt mean that the girlfriend is cheap, actually it means that she is expensive and going with games instead of girls is cheaper.

ShenCS

Aug 24, 2010
Dear Gamestation,
"Our customers love this about us."
What? No. What we love is that you're occasionally cheaper than the average Game. What we love is the no-nonsense trade-ins and preowned stuff. You're not a close friend or valuable business partner, you're a distributor. If somewhere else sold the games for cheaper, we'd all go there, no matter how "edgy" you are.
This? This is just childish.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
"U.K. retailer Game defended Gamestation marketing as "slightly edgy and occasionally controversial"

Really? I always thought it was dressed up like a den for man-children. This confirms that.

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
It's actually kinda funny, even to me.

Of course, the whiner brigade shows up and tries to ruin everyone's fun.

God I hate our species.

thedeathscythe

Aug 6, 2010
She doesn't even understand the ad, it's not saying girls are cheap, it's saying they're expensive, and buying that game at that price is less expensive than your girlfriend. So she just fulfilled another stereotype in my own eyes.

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
Gameststion aren't edgy, they just feel sort of try-hard... They always come across as being so "ooh we're so in touch with the gamer! Check out our jageddy font! Yeah!"

I prefer GAME, although I'm aware they are the same company.

luckycharms8282

Mar 28, 2009
I laughed. people need to learn to to be so sensitive. You dont like it? Get over it. It isnt talking about you.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Pfft. Everyone knows guys who play Call of Duty don't have girlfriends.
What's the going rate for a hardcore gamer's girlfriend nowadays? $1.99 a minute? What?

Crimsane

Apr 11, 2009
I wonder how the people who make big deals out of advertisements ever find happiness in their lives if they let every tiny thing like this bug them.

Kaze103

Feb 11, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
"It is pretty openly sexist - girls being cheap, obviously, but it's also pandering to the old stereotype that gamers are guys,"
What a homophobe. Since when can girls not have girlfriends?

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
Is she implying girlfriends are cheaper than 30 pounds?

Joking aside ... the ad is a joke. Its not edgy or controversial, its just silly. But complaining about it is even more silly.

Nov 5, 2007
Chibz said:
It's actually kinda funny, even to me.

Of course, the whiner brigade shows up and tries to ruin everyone's fun.

God I hate our species.
Yeah, sexism is fun right!

Urg....

Mehall

Feb 1, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
But Neil Ashurst, the head of public relations at Game [http://www.game.co.uk], which bought out Gamestation in 2007, said the ad may be edgy but simply reflects the realities of gamer demographics.
No it doesn't:

Those who fall under Gamer demographics don't have girlfriends :D

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
"It is pretty openly sexist - girls being cheap, obviously...
Is it obvious?
I'll admit: When I first saw the ad, I thought it was a dig at how expensive having a girlfriend can be, not that the girl herself was 'cheap'. As in "It's cheaper to buy this game then it is to take your girlfriend out" or something. Maybe I just totally saw it wrong, but I got a very different message.

So if they are in fact saying girls are 'cheap', well then it's a blatantly sexist ad. But it they are saying that having a girlfriend is expensive, then I find it hard to disagree. Heck, I'm married and my wife can get darned expensive. How many purses does a woman need? Geez!