Avalanche Studios Boss Reveals Secret Plan to Stop Piracy

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Avalanche Studios Boss Reveals Secret Plan to Stop Piracy

Christofer Sundberg, the co-founder and creative director of Just Cause [http://www.amazon.com/Just-Cause-2-Pc/dp/B0013RC1W4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1301067569&sr=8-3] developer Avalanche Studios, has a simple, two-step formula for cracking down on piracy: give hackers jobs and make better PC games.

For all its determination to put a stop to piracy, the videogame industry sure hasn't had much success in actually making it happen. Increasingly demanding DRM schemes annoy and alienate legitimate customers but do nothing to stop "real" pirates, who as often as not seem to relish such systems as personal challenges. So why do they keep doing the same things, over and over again, when it clearly doesn't work? I don't know. But Sundberg thinks a different approach is in order and DRM doesn't fit into his plans.

"The DRM does not stop piracy," he told CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/295327/news/how-do-you-stop-piracy-try-giving-hackers-a-job-and-make-better-pc-games/]. "It just punishes the people who have actually paid for the game. It's completely useless. Forcing people to be online all the time and so on doesn't show respect to the people who actually buy PC games."

Instead, he suggested that engaging the community whenever possible is a smarter approach to take, pointing out that half the employees at Avalanche come from a "hacker background."

"Perhaps the truest pirates are too much down the road of anarchy to ever work with you in a proper way; these are the guys who see us as evil!" he said. "But in Sweden the [hacking] scene was huge. We're the home of the Pirate Bay, you know. As a studio, we've found that there's definitely a lot of talent [in the hacking community]."

But perhaps an even more effective and obvious strategy is to simply make better PC games. PC and console gamers are "completely different types of consumer," he said, so PC games should be designed specifically to appeal to that unique market. Yet PC ports are often created as an afterthought, which doesn't give potential customers much incentive to actually spend their money on the product.

"Everyone is just complaining about piracy on the PC, but when it comes to in-game DLC or social connectivity, the options on PC compared to console are endless. I would like at some point to do a really good PC game designed specifically for PC players," he said. "I think piracy wouldn't be as much of an issue if there were better PC games out there. We could just scrap the whole concept of stupid DRM."

It's a great idea, and it's never going to happen. Some indie PC developers have adopted his approach but for major, multiplatform studios, the money is in consoles and the PC market just doesn't rate that kind of special love. As long as PC gamers want to keep playing the same games as the console crowd, the best they can realistically hope for is decent ports and DRM that lets them play the game without having to jump through too many hoops.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
I think I love this man. DRM just punishes paying customers. Nice to see someone up top thinking that.

OldRat

Dec 9, 2009
I was ready to engage the "PNAHAHAHA WHEN HELL FREEZES OVER" subroutine, but apparently this man is actually smart.

DevilWolf47

Nov 29, 2010
Is it just me or is the war on video game piracy starting to look like the U.S War on Drugs where countermeasures just fuck things up even worse...?
Or has it always looked like that and i just didn't care enough to notice?

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Good Show.

Stop treating PC Gamers like second-class citizens and we'll finally get somewhere.

Hairetos

Jul 5, 2010
I believe these excerpts should pretty much tl;dr this topic and make pc gamers cream their pants:

"'The DRM does not stop piracy...It just punishes the people who have actually paid for the game. It's completely useless. Forcing people to be online all the time and so on doesn't show respect to the people who actually buy PC games.'"

"'But perhaps an even more effective and obvious strategy is to simply make better PC games. PC and console gamers are "completely different types of consumer," he said, so PC games should be designed specifically to appeal to that unique market.'"

There's some PC-gamer kissass goin' on in here. Bend over and get your share.

/skepticism

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Agree with everything he said, but this just seems to be a bit of pandering after the Crysis 2 affair. Just saying what PC owners want to hear at the moment is not going to cut it. After all the big talk but no follow through by devs recently, I will only take their word when they follow it through.

So the words above I find a bit hollow as the last big game this studio did on the PC was Just Cause 2. They get major points for adding DX 10 and CUDA water simulation to the game. But otherwise it was a console port with nasty mouse and keyboard controls. You could not set them up as you would want, as the controls for one vehicle mode would be hard-wired into other modes. The vehicle handing / physics was very basic ( more of a game rather than port issue though I suppose). In the end I put the game down as the controls drove me mad.

So the above story gets a BS stamp from me until they can walk the walk as well as talk the talk...

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I'm so glad I've bought just cause and just cause 2!
You might say buying their products is a just cause.

MrJoyless

May 26, 2010
Nothing they do will stop piracy, seriously, nothing

If people can get something risk free without cost they will

Even the most well made games get pirated en mass so his theory is already proven wrong.

Hell even when game developers let you pick your price aka, free if you want, you still see over half of the games being used as pirated copies (i think this happened with World of Goo)

I think the best way to reduce piracy (because you will never ever stop it completely) is to do what Ricochet Infinity makers Reflexive.com did, plug the holes that are being used to crack the game and turn pirates into paying customers.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=17350

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_189/5768-Rob-from-the-Rich-Steal-from-the-Poor.5

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
This man is my hero today. Not only does he have the brains to handle hackers properly (suing them is so fucking pointless and makes you look like the giant dick that you are, eh Sony?), but he says no DRM. I love no DRM.

Be sure to remind me when this guy's company gets their next PC game out. I want to buy it just because this dude is so awesome.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
At least someone acknowledges that DRM does nothing...I mean, even the super strict DRM games (Mostly from Ubisoft) are still fully pirateable.
[sub][sub][sub]Or so I've heard...[/sub][/sub][/sub]

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
i was ready to laugh so hard at this guy
then i read it

good show Mr Sundberg
i mean, won't work for every studio, an DMR isn't gonna go away, but nice to see least one guy gets it

Popido

Oct 21, 2010
ib4shitstorm
But perhaps an even more effective and obvious strategy is to simply make better PC games. PC and console gamers are "completely different types of consumer," he said, so PC games should be designed specifically to appeal to that unique market.
I agree. You need to be careful around them. I herd they know computers.
.>;

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
"I think piracy wouldn't be as much of an issue if there were better PC games out there. We could just scrap the whole concept of stupid DRM."
Yeah, to me that sounds like "Hey, this what you guys want to hear, right?"

DRM needs to go, but this is just PR. If people were dissatisfied with ports not being good enough, why would they even bother pirating them in the first place? That whole argument is just a justification pirates use because they're not willing to admit they don't have a problem with infringement, so this is a solution to bad sales not piracy.

Engaging the community is a little more effective, but you still won't catch more than a fraction of the market. Specifically, the fraction that is willing to read dev blogs and the like.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
MrJoyless said:
Nothing they do will stop piracy, seriously, nothing
No, nor will you ever "stop" any other kind of bad behaviour either. The idea is to do what you can to minimize its impact. As Sundberg himself said, there's a hardcore element that's simply beyond reach, but the worst of the problem can be solved by effectively engaging the casual downloaders. Take care of that and the problem is as solved as it's ever going to be.

judowarrior

Feb 15, 2010
A good man.

Some steps in the right directions are portal, Team Fortess 2, HL2 mods, almost every single RTS, the Battlefield series, Dragon Age, and The Witcher.