Natal Will Have "Real, Hardcore" Games

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Natal Will Have "Real, Hardcore" Games

The Xbox 360's Natal won't just be all casual games and virtual boys in your TV - it'll have "real, hardcore triple-A" titles, according to Microsoft.

Between Sony's "PlayStation Wand" motion technology and Microsoft's Project Natal, Sony was the only one of the two to make a case about how their tech could be used for hardcore, traditional games like real-time strategy and first-person shooter titles. Natal, meanwhile, had a demo of a 3D Breakout-clone, some sort of art application, and Peter Molyneux's Milo. Not exactly core gamer type of stuff.

Microsoft doesn't think we'll be left to dry when it comes to Natal's offerings, however. "We'll have games that are specifically designed to work only with Natal - not just arcadey games, but real, hardcore, triple-A titles," project director Alex Kipman told Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/e3-post-natal-discussion-interview].

Kipman described games that take advantage not only of Natal's motion-recognition, but match it with more traditional controller-based gameplay. "Think about a first-person shooter where I'm using the controller but I'm doing facial tracking by just moving around and looking round corners," he said.

The experience, he said, could work to provide simultaneously enjoyable experiences for hardcore and casual gamers alike where the 360 reads Natal and controller inputs simultaneously, like a Halo type game where one player will using the controller while the other uses Natal to chuck grenades or drive. Sounds interesting, but we'll just have to wait and see if you can really make an experience that's compelling on multiple levels like that.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Before the Wii bashers get on this, I just want to say that this seems REALLY gimmicky, which is what a lot of people have been complaining about when they play Wii's core titles.

MS has completely missed the point.

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
Am I the only one that just really doesn't like motion controls? As soon as their released everyone tries to tack on some crappy motion-based component to their game that just drags down the entire experience. Really, there's no need for it.

VitalSigns

May 20, 2009
Lets hope this doesn't crash and burn, I am generally stoked on the idea of so much immersion, but I am skeptical. Really hope this does well.

MrSnugglesworth

Into the Wild Green Snuggle
Jan 15, 2009
CoverYourHead said:
Am I the only one that just really doesn't like motion controls? As soon as their released everyone tries to tack on some crappy motion-based component to their game that just drags down the entire experience. Really, there's no need for it.
I agree completely. Wii is barely motion, considering after the first week of getting it, you finally sit down and just flick your wrist.

PizzaDentist

May 6, 2009
I actually disagree. If they had perfected the motion plus control on Wii from the beginning and scrapped the whole IR light thing, it would be a better concept. LED light cursor = evil.

Motion control tennis (done properly) is great.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
PizzaDentist said:
Sega CD - 32X anyone?

64DD

Doesn't anyone learn?!
No, they have not, and most never will.

Any new tech must be shoehorned onto every new release for the next year to prove just how bad it is. I guarantee you that when VR comes around, ever game will have a gimmicky VR section that handles like crap.

PizzaDentist

May 6, 2009
CoverYourHead said:
Though I totally agree that some games really do try and shoe horn a motion control aspect in just for the sake of it. Resi 4's quicktime events, instead of press x to not die, it's waggle your remote to not die.

And yeah, I have a Wii, but I refuse to call it a frickin' Wiimote. It's a remote, and always will be.

But yeah, motion controls are awesome when they're actually used appropriately, instead of in a 'for the sake of it' or 'because we can' way.

Gamer137

Jun 7, 2008
Remember how everyone said the Wii would revolutionize console shooters and now most people bash it? Natal will most likly do the same.

PizzaDentist

May 6, 2009
randommaster said:
PizzaDentist said:
Sega CD - 32X anyone?

64DD

Doesn't anyone learn?!
No, they have not, and most never will.

Any new tech must be shoehorned onto every new release for the next year to prove just how bad it is. I guarantee you that when VR comes around, ever game will have a gimmicky VR section that handles like crap.
When it comes around? Anyone else remember the Virtual Boy? :lol:

LivingInStereo

Dec 22, 2008
I'll believe it when I see it. And if there is a game where You have to march on the spot to move the world just might end subsequently.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Indigo_Dingo said:
If a person is peering around a "corner", aren't they no longer looking at the screen?
I think it would be more of a head tilt motion.

PizzaDentist

May 6, 2009
There is something on PS3 where you have to press buttons to move your left and right legs... check out the review.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/748-Duke-Nukem-Forever

PizzaDentist

May 6, 2009
Actually, it could be amazing, so long as people just know what they're doing. Like this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw

Knonsense

Oct 22, 2008
CoverYourHead said:
It's a natural part of the process. While they seem incredibly gimmicky today, I think that they will eventually lose this. After all, electronic gaming was really gimmicky in general when it started from what I can tell.

"Oh, let's translate a real life game like blackjack into a boring, watered down version that happens to be electronic."

high_castle

Apr 15, 2009
People bash the Wii controls because they came out before they worked properly. A few years have passed, maybe the technology has improved. It would definitely be interesting if it worked the way Microsoft says it will, but I have trust issues with this company. It's not like they've ever released buggy tech before...oh, wait...