ESRB Rates Sega's Depraved Rise of Nightmares

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
ESRB Rates Sega's Depraved Rise of Nightmares

Sega's Rise of Nightmares is going to scare the blue off of Sonic the Hedgehog.

As if you couldn't tell from Rise of Nightmares' Tokyo Game Show 2010 teaser, the ESRB confirms that Sega's upcoming Saw [http://www.amazon.com/Kinect-Sensor-Adventures-Xbox-360/dp/B002BSA298/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301080373&sr=8-1] messed up.

Sega says that through Kinect, Rise of Nightmares will make players "experience fear and tension as never before." The ESRB's rating reveals that the game is a first-person horror-adventure where you take on the role of a tourist that has to rescue his wife from a deranged scientist. Through the eyes of the tourist, players will dismember and decapitate various deformed monsters with brass knuckles, knives, hatchets, and chainsaws.

The scenery and cutscenes are apparently what will push Rise of Nightmares into the gruesome zone. The ESRB writes that "intense acts of violence" are depicted throughout the game, such as: "A man screams loudly as spikes impale his body; a restrained character's hand is chopped off before he is killed; a character (cut in half) crawls away in a pool of blood; a soldier is ripped apart by a monster, causing blood to stain the screen."

Another less violent, but probably still gross area involves what the ESRB calls "female creatures" wearing skimpy clothing that sit on the character's chest and make comments that include "best sex of my life" or "worst sex of my life," depending on how the character does... something to them. It's the "creatures" thing that makes this act a little odd.

Rise of Nightmares might not be the next unlike Manhunt 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Manhunt-2-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B000NIJ35M/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1301081556&sr=1-1], at first), but it looks like it'll be a title for the queasy to leave on the shelf. Sega expects to release Rise of Nightmares in 2011.

Source: Siliconera [http://www.esrb.org/index-js.jsp]

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
I wonder if this is ever going to make it out of Japan...

It may be a XBLA thing but it looks like its out to redefine the horror genre for the umpteenth time.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
Sex with a monster? That's every boy's dream! But seriously now, this looks rather interesting, not sold on the kinect part of it though.

Enkidu88

Jan 24, 2010
Tom Goldman said:
Another less violent, but probably still gross area involves what the ESRB calls "female creatures" wearing skimpy clothing that sit on the character's chest and make comments that include "best sex of my life" or "worst sex of my life," depending on how the character does... something to them. It's the "creatures" thing that makes this act a little odd.
That's made even more disturbing by the fact that the game is toting itself as a "kinect" game. Are we going to have simulate sex acts with a mutant in our living room now? That'll either be the most disturbing or most hilarious thing in a game I've ever seen. :p

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Does anyone else wonder how you will play this on the kinect when its motion control based and the point of this is to scare the living shit out of you?

For those that dont get it, The calm cool collectedness you need to actually get through a horror game does not match the piss your pants terror the game is trying to install.

Rayne870

Nov 28, 2010
Well...I hope if it does come to North America it isn't censored. But I also think that is just such a bizarre thing to have on kinect. If it doesn't get censored out I'll buy it out of curiosity.

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
Interesting how the audio of every modern horror game owes something to ye olde Silent Hill these days.

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre

Being super gruesome just to be edgy or shocking is so much old news. Why do people keep trying to do it?

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
Tom Goldman said:
Another less violent, but probably still gross area involves what the ESRB calls "female creatures" wearing skimpy clothing that sit on the character's chest and make comments that include "best sex of my life" or "worst sex of my life," depending on how the character does... something to them.
Dear lord, it's F.E.A.R. 2 all over again!!!!

I wonder how a game like that would do here in the states. Furthermore, I wonder how the media would react to it. It's bad enough with murderous acts being assigned to buttons, but this is on the Kinect. Hmm....

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
Interesting. Seems like it could potentially be one of the non-doom kinds of scary games.

Seriously though, this evil scientist thing? It's getting tiresome. I suspect it's because many artists and writers don't get science and feel the need to label it as evil so that they can feel less ashamed of what they perceive as their own sub-standard intellect. I've noticed that many of them have a tendency to take things personally that had nothing at all to do with them.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Hmmm... I might have to grab Kinect, now. Between this and Child of Eden, Kinect actually isn't looking too bad anymore.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
mireko said:
gigastar said:
Well, probably. Why else would the ESRB rate it?
True, but ESRB has its own standards for every continent. Sometimes even countries have thier own ESRB standards, like the UK who (in hindsight, thankfully) banned Manhunt 2.

If there was a worldwide standard i wouldnt have to ask to begin with.

CatinHat

Apr 30, 2009
Didn't MS say that no sexy games like DoA would come to Kinect. Since they said MS is a family company... how does this game help with family values MS?

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
gigastar said:
mireko said:
gigastar said:
Well, probably. Why else would the ESRB rate it?
True, but ESRB has its own standards for every continent. Sometimes even countries have thier own ESRB standards, like the UK who (in hindsight, thankfully) banned Manhunt 2.

If there was a worldwide standard i wouldnt have to ask to begin with.
I think the ESRB only rates for North America, with the UK using BBFC ratings (soon to be replaced by PEGI).

CERO does the game ratings for Japan.

CatinHat said:
Didn't MS say that no sexy games like DoA would come to Kinect. Since they said MS is a family company... how does this game help with family values MS?
To be fair, if people are being disemboweled it probably won't be very sexy.

Well, not for normal people anyway.

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
CatinHat said:
Anyone who says that theirs is a family company (or says nearly anything else with that sense of the term "family" for that matter) is so full of shit that you can safely treat them as unworthy of interest or respect anyway. People and companies that say that kind of thing are frauds, and they say those things in the course of pandering to other frauds. "Family", in that sense, is a sort of linguistic IFF device that frauds use to differentiate those doing the bullshitting and those being bullshat.

Apr 17, 2009
McMullen said:
Interesting. Seems like it could potentially be one of the non-doom kinds of scary games.

Seriously though, this evil scientist thing? It's getting tiresome. I suspect it's because many artists and writers don't get science and feel the need to label it as evil so that they can feel less ashamed of what they perceive as their own sub-standard intellect. I've noticed that many of them have a tendency to take things personally that had nothing at all to do with them.
I think its more because scientists tend to have lab equipment around. I mean, the worst a deranged poet could do to you is stab you with a pen a few times. A scientist on the other hand? Well, they're going to have all kinds of fun toys

Honestly this just looks like another trite gorn game that confuses violence for horror. I'm reminded of this week's Show About Games Show, where the horror meal was "all out of suspense or any sense of real terror"