205: Pastor Blaster

Dale Culp

Jun 4, 2009
Pastor Blaster

When Dale Culp learned his church's pastor was a fan of Doom, he was shocked. But as more and more people identify themselves as "gamers," why shouldn't a man of God enjoy shooting virtual Nazis in the face?

Read Full Article

Tech Team FTW!

Apr 1, 2009
I was already well aware of the fact that most Christians are entirely capable of being mature and reasonable; gaming being no exception. It does, however, strike me as somewhat hypocritical that this pastor should defend his like of videogames by claiming any conflict of his own morality is made moot by the fact that it is unreal while decrying the presence of swearing that, by his own admission, is also not real.

It is one of my earnest hopes that the demonisation of Christianity, and indeed all religion, may eventually subside through the humanisation of church leaders. Gaming priests may be a positive, albeit minor, step in that direction.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Great Article.
I know a few pastors like this myself, and it's always encouraging to me. I also know a few pastors who don't play, but don't condemn either. In fact they'll use games on a 'youth night' at the church, playing Halo or Call of Duty on the big screen projector in the sanctuary!

I just have to wonder why people are surprised by this, though. The dogmatic of the church used to stand against Rock and Roll and Hip-Hop music, and now we've got Christian rock bands and Christian Hip-Hop artists!
As the youth of the church grow to become it's leaders, they grow with an understanding of what is and is not important to stand for or against. The leaders of today know that Rock and Roll is just music, and any music can be used for bad, or for good. Likewise, the Church leaders of tomorrow will say the same about video games, and it'll happen sooner then later.

Again, great article.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Pi_Fighter said:
It does, however, strike me as somewhat hypocritical that this pastor should defend his like of videogames by claiming any conflict of his own morality is made moot by the fact that it is unreal while decrying the presence of, by his own admission, swearing that is also not real.
Well I'd put to you that the swearing is always real. It's an audible thing, not a physical act. You aren't actually shooting anyone, but they are obviously swearing. The way swearing wouldn't be real is if they made up the swear word, like 'Oh finklebun!', or 'You S'wit! (To steal from Morrowind). Those are not real swear words, and I don't doubt the pastor would have no problem with them, like the not-real violence taking place. The using of real swear words used today is real, regardless of the medium in which they are presented.

EDIT: Pardon the double post!

Tech Team FTW!

Apr 1, 2009
Baby Tea said:
Pi_Fighter said:
It does, however, strike me as somewhat hypocritical that this pastor should defend his like of videogames by claiming any conflict of his own morality is made moot by the fact that it is unreal while decrying the presence of, by his own admission, swearing that is also not real.
Well I'd put to you that the swearing is always real. It's an audible thing, not a physical act. You aren't actually shooting anyone, but they are obviously swearing. The way swearing wouldn't be real is if they made up the swear word, like 'Oh finklebun!', or 'You S'wit! (To steal from Morrowind). Those are not real swear words, and I don't doubt the pastor would have no problem with them, like the not-real violence taking place. The using of real swear words used today is real, regardless of the medium in which they are presented.
That raises the obvious question of why a priest would actually be bothered by swearing at all.

Do priests believe that a fifteen year old does not know any and all of the swearing presented in a game marketed, and indeed restricted, to a "Mature Audience"?

Is a virtual character virtually swearing after having their virtual legs blown off inappropriate?

Desensitisation is not the correct answer because if the presence of "foul" language in a game desensitises one to swearing, then violent content would also desensitise the audience to violence. As this is clearly not the view presented by the pastor in the article, it can be deduced that he has some other reasoning to justify this seemingly non sequitur of an attitude.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Just for the record, "Pastor Blaster" may be one of the best titles I think we've ever run with.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Pi_Fighter said:
Baby Tea said:
That raises the obvious question of why a priest would actually be bothered by swearing at all.

Do priests believe that a fifteen year old does not know any and all of the swearing presented in a game marketed, and indeed restricted, to a "Mature Audience"?

Is a virtual character virtually swearing after having their virtual legs blown off inappropriate?

Desensitisation is not the correct answer because if the presence of "foul" language in a game desensitises one to swearing, then violent content would also desensitise the audience to violence. As this is clearly not the view presented by the pastor in the article, it can be deduced that he has some other reasoning to justify this seemingly non sequitur of an attitude.
I would say that this pastor is just annoyed by the swearing. He doesn't swear himself, and doesn't like it when others do around him, even in games. Obviously I can't speak for him, but I could see this as a reason. I know other people like that.

Personally, as a Christian, don't like it when people swear around me, but I'm not bothered by it in most movies or games (If it fits the characters and/or situation). I don't swear myself, unless really really angry, but that doesn't happen often and I don't like it when it does.

And there are other Christians who don't tolerate any swearing at all in any form. It's all in people's sensibilities. Swearing seems to be a minor problem with this Pastor. I say minor because he obviously still plays despite the swearing, he just wishes there were less of it. I know people who don't play games with magic in them. I know people who don't play games with violence in them. I know people who would never play a violent game, but watch violent movies. It's all sensibilities, and it's all perception.

I think the fact that he plays anyways, despite his 'problem' with the swearing, is a wonderful image of how something that bugs you isn't always a soteriologically binary choice of 'yes or no', or in this case: 'play or not play'. You notice the pastor never condemned people for played games with swearing, or condemned those games himself. He merely stated that it would be his preference if the swearing was reduced, or gone.

It wasn't a 'hellfire or heavens gates' statement or choice, just a musing while fixing a roof.

Tech Team FTW!

Apr 1, 2009
Baby Tea said:
In hindsight, I probably payed too much attention to a minor detail.

It also just occured to me that I have been using the titles pastor and priest interchangably...

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Pi_Fighter said:
In hindsight, I probably payed too much attention to a minor detail.
Good talk, though!

It also just occured to me that I have been using the titles pastor and priest interchangably...
Ahh, you'll only bother the die-hards on both the Protestant and Catholic sides.
Technically there is a difference, but who cares. I knew what you meant!

Zivlok

Dec 12, 2008
Yeah, just to throw my two cents in, the pastor was speaking more of his own personal preference when he said he didn't like all the swearing, than making a grand sweeping statement. I don't use profanity often, but I don't have a big problem with it, but, especially when there's only about 10 samples that are recycled and 4 of them contain profanity, it just gets annoying. Also, he probably doesn't like it when the Lord's name is taken in vain, which to me personally is more insulting than referencing the act of sex, or pooping.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
I think this needs to be seen by more people, if only to remind them that a majority of religious people, even those actually in the inner workings of a religion, can be completely normal and enjoy a video game, without condemning anything.

CyberKnight

Jan 29, 2009
As another random data point, I'll say that one of the reasons I decided not to buy Gears of War was because I watched some of the gameplay videos and heard what was, to me, an undesirable amount of swearing from the virtual characters (and this was just in the between-action conversation, not while they were getting their virtual limbs blown off). I decided I didn't want it.

Halo and Call of Duty are much more reserved in their language use.

Now, the question has been asked, why does the swearing bother you but the violence doesn't? It's a fair question, and I admit I don't have an answer. (Although I will say that I also thought Gears of War's violence was "over the top" as well, and that also influenced my "no buy" decision.) Call of Duty does push the violence for my personal comfort level, and I don't play that one nearly as much as Halo, for instance.

Then again, Shadowrun shows huge blood splatters resulting from headshots and geysers of blood erupting from falling players, but I still play that from time to time and don't even think twice about it. Go figure.

Acervusvlos

Aug 30, 2008
I'm really glad to see The Escapist painting Religion in a light that isn't necessarily biased towards either side. Gaming and Religion go together quite well, namely when it comes to creating that eternal conflict in video games, Good Versus Evil.

Whether you're killing a God (Shin Megami Tensei/Silent Hill 3), are a God (Black and White/Okami), or are just a (Not so)humble servant (God of War), Religion, Mythology, and supernaturalism in general play an important role in gaming.

Another

Mar 19, 2008
YAY!!! My pastor isn't the odd man out!!

I cant count the number of nights a bunch of us from the church have gone to the pastor's house for lan parties.

Cosplay Horatio

May 19, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
Just for the record, "Pastor Blaster" may be one of the best titles I think we've ever run with.
Agreed! This pastor is awesome...I never would've known that men of God would be interested or participate in the worlds of gaming we live in.

PeaceFistCreations

Feb 19, 2009
Hey, its a normal, well-adjusted human. You don't see many of them today.
I so glad someone has seen and made this, this is how the world is supposed to operate.
Even religious leaders shouldn't care if a few polygonal models are triggering animation on each other every time someone shoots the particle effect button.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Cosplay Horatio said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
Agreed! This pastor is awesome...I never would've known that men of God would be interested or participate in the worlds of gaming we live in.
Oh, I just meant in terms of the actual title of the article. It makes me snicker every time.

Cosplay Horatio

May 19, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
Cosplay Horatio said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
Oh, I just meant in terms of the actual title of the article. It makes me snicker every time.
I understood the intentions of your post...I was adding to it with my own thoughts on this article. This would make a great video game title and theme. A Pastor who takes up arms and kicks ass in the name of the lord! He is...Pastor Blaster...the deliverer of justice to the demons who trespass on God's Green Earth. Coming soon this X-mas.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
A Pastor playing video games? Oh well, just as long as it keeps him away from little boys (for the love of God, I'm KIDDING!)

To be honest, I don't think it's all too strange. More and more middle aged people, regardless of occupation, have been taking up video games. There hardly isn't anyone who doesn't love video games these days. I think comedian Christian Finnegan put it best when he said that we're going to be a generation of gamers. These days, the only people who despise video games are people who are old and bitter, who prefer to stand behind outdated traditions, and people who just haven't bothered to give them a chance.

This was a great article, but unfortunately, I kinda felt it was lacking. All it summed up to was an expression of disbelief, a well written expression of disbelief, but nothing much at the same time. There were many ways you could have taken this article, but I guess this issues theme kinda restricted it. But I digress, it was still really entertaining to read. Keep up the great work.

CantFaketheFunk said:
This is also true, so very true :)