Steampunk Brain Mouse is (Pretty and) Terrifying

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Steampunk Brain Mouse is (Pretty and) Terrifying

Sure it's creepy as hell and looks uncomfortable to use, but it's also steampunk and mighty cool-looking.

To quote Peter Balch: "Every self-respecting Victorian Scientist needs a brain in a jar." That's hard logic to argue with, but brains in jars aren't easy to find these days. Thankfully, Balch, who is an independent technical programmer and hardware designer out of Scotland, is helping his fellow crazy inventors out and has come up with a brain in a jar that doubles as a computer mouse.

Balch detailed the device's creation on his website; but here's how it was assembled:

? Start with a standard optical mouse with a fairly small footprint.
? Take a photo of the pcb layout to trace the tracks if needed.
? Remove the microswitches and the wheel encoder.
? The ring from a light fitting and a coin make a nice mouse-wheel. A hexagon head is filed onto a brass rod to make an axle
? The parts are assembled on a piece of stripboard. Brass wire is used as stilts to raise the axle and the mouse-wheel button
? Blocks of wood are carved to enclose the wheel-encoder and button.
? The pcb is cut down to size. Enamelled-wire is used to replace the lost tracks.
? A thin ply baseplate is cut and the pcb and stripboard screwed onto it. Small wooden pads will support the dome.
? The wood is stained. Gold plated bronze contacts (salvaged from scrap electronics) make the mouse buttons; there's not enough room in the wooden blocks to fit microswitches.
? A shoelace covers the mouse cable to give it a Victorian look.
? The dome is from a Victorian gas mantle.
? The brass railing is from a fake oil lamp found in a car-boot sale.
? The brain is made from Fimo wrapped around an egg-shaped piece of wood. The electrodes are enamelled copper wire and pins. The cage is brass wire, a nut, a screw-cup and a thumb-tack all soldered together. A colour-changing LED is glued inside the nut and connected in parallel with the optical-mouse's LED.
? The dome and railing are glued into place and it's finished.

Balch says that he's willing to make this, and full-scale models, for interested parties, but he doesn't mention a price point. Personally, I'd love a to get a mouse that's a bit more comfortable-looking, but you can't deny just how wicked this overall design is.

Source: Geeks Are Sexy

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Yuck. Do not want. Not only is it uncomfortable looking, but I'm not a fan of steampunk anyway. Guess I'm biased. Oh well, I'll stick with my perfectly comfortable trackball that doesn't make me want to hide it away in a closet every time I look at it.

John Marcone said:
Btw am I the only one that thought of "Pinky and the Brain" Brain upon seeing the title?
No. I thought that's what it was for a few seconds, and was having real trouble reading the title until I pushed thoughts of Pinky and the Brain out of my mind. Saw "Brain Mouse" and then a word starting with capital P and ending in y and that was when the confusion started.

darthricardo

May 7, 2010
Wait... what? That looks completely unusable. And not even that steampunk... Kind of more like a kitschy Frankenstein-styled horror piece than anything really steampunk. Awesome though, in it's own way.

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
Why not use a real mouse brain? They cost less than a fast food meal, and no one cares if a mouse dies in the name of science (or steampunk awesomeness).

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
I looked at the picture and instantly thought "that looks a bit big for a mouse's brain..."

...Then I read the article XD

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
I'm assuming that the brown box that's in the back is the actual "mouse" portion? Two prongs and a clickwheel.

At any rate, I think some people need to learn what "Steampunk" means.

darthricardo said:
Wait... what? That looks completely unusable. And not even that steampunk... Kind of more like a kitschy Frankenstein-styled horror piece than anything really steampunk. Awesome though, in it's own way.
Exactly. The funny thing is that, even in the context of "steampunk technology", you would only be using the contacts and the wheel. Tap the contact, sends a jolt through the wire, tada. Signal.

Therefore, the brain is utterly useless. Not to say that it's not interesting to look at, it's just... "off", I guess.

EDIT: You know what they say. "Don't piss on my hat and tell me it's raining. Also, don't glue gears on *your* hat and claim to be sci-fi travelers".

The Random One

May 29, 2008
It's a mouse? I think it would be much more appropriate if it was an USB drive. That's kind of what the brain is, after all.

Captcha: Reports esamplo. *points want at a table, templates for reports appear*

duechebagel

Mar 29, 2011
no video of those of us who aren't clairevoyant psychics and thus able to read this guy's mind and figure out how exactly it's even a mouse?

totally serious question, no idea how you'd move the pointer with it and i think i got the wheel part despite all the jargon, but that thing's got to weigh around a pound or more at the least and looks far too clunky and awkwardly shaped to actually move it around to point with....

maybe it's like a track-sphere type thing?
sorta like how those electricity spheres point the light inside at your fingers, i guess you could possibly move the pointer by moving your hands around the globe...

Kilgengoor

Sep 7, 2010
GHudston said:
Make this into a USB hub or an external hard drive and I'm sold.
An external hard drive would make a lot more sense (it's a brain, after all. HA!), and it could still have contact-buttons, wheels, nice lights and such, without even modifying the design save for what the reconverting operation would require. Well, maybe not an external hard disk, but cram a 20 Gig pen drive in there or something, man!

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
darthricardo said:
Yeah it certainly has a Frankenstein vibe.

I was somewhat disappointed, but if I tried to make something better I'd make something far worse.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Put simply, I love it! ;D YES, it's not steampunk entirely, and is completely unusable, but it looks pretty damn cool I've got to say.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
It doesn't look cool at all and it's impractical to use. What is there to like?

Yeah, I should mention that I don't really care about steampunk.

Smokej

Nov 22, 2010
hm na, i would prefer the real deal...

a cyberpunk model to connect it via datajack directly into the brain