New Max Payne 3 Screens May Give Fans Hope

Scott Bullock

Nov 11, 2010
New Max Payne 3 Screens May Give Fans Hope

The first Max Payne 3 screenshots in two years have sparked rumors that the game is soon to get a full reveal.

Back in the dark ages of 2009, Rockstar released several screenshots of a bald, fat Max Payne running pell-mell through the jungle, looking like Bruce Willis after eight weeks of nothing but Sloppy Joes and burritos. The fans were, to put it mildly, displeased. two years later, Rockstar Vancouver has released two new screens with Max sporting a full head of hair. Looks like Rockstar understands a very important fact: Hell hath no fury like a fanboy scorned. The surprising release of screenshots after two years of silence have led some to begin hopefully muttering about an upcoming reveal.

Though Max Payne 3 isn't mentioned on parent company Take-Two's release list, it did comment, "We're still working hard on Max, and we'll have more news in the coming months." This was back in December, putting us squarely in that "coming months" time-frame. This, combined with the words "He's coming" attached to the screenshots on Twitter [http://twitter.com/RockstarGames/status/53094164606365696], seems to lend credence to the rumors of some upcoming reveal or big announcement concerning the game.

For those uninitiated in the world of Max Payne, he's an emotionally tortured, pill-popping, bullet-timing, monologue-reading undercover detective in a noir-style world of deception and drug-crazed lunatics with Norse mythological undertones. Both previous Max Payne games were critical darlings, though sales on Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne left something to be desired.

Little is known of the new game other than that it is set in Sao Paulo 12 years after the end of the last game. It will be the first game in the Max Payne series to not be developed by Remedy Entertainment and written by Sam Lake, the creator of the series, which has stirred some doubt amongst fans as to how the it will stand up next to the previous installments.

Source: Scrawl [http://scrawlfx.com/2011/03/max-payne-3-returns-with-two-new-screenshots]

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
I'm on the "uh-oh" side. It will feel like a completely different game.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I'm really doubting this is going to live up to my hopes.
I very much want a full film-noir game and, IMO of course, South America isn't the best place to do that. Also, call me crazy, but I really don't like rockstar.

Apr 28, 2008
Aw... I actually didn't mind overweight hobo-Sam. Mainly because there was a male protagonist that doesn't have a perfect body. Ah well, I'm just nitpicking.

Still though, very cautious about this game.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
I'll need more than a couple screens to convince me the game hasn't been run through the current game industry generic crap-o-tron, the fantabulous magic easy-money-making machine

Ferrious

Made From Corpses
Jan 6, 2010
HankMan said:
Actually it's if you finished the game on the highest difficulty level- she survived
thank you Wikipedia
Aww come on, that's cheating going and looking it up like that.

Serenegoose

Faerie girl in hiding
Mar 17, 2009
Art Axiv said:
HankMan said:
I wonder if Mona will come back in this one to?
If I remember correctly she died in part 2.
Unless you play it on the harder difficulty for alternate ending hijinks! Presumably the default ending is canon, but nobody knows for sure yet.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Oh god... here we go again. I had rather hoped this game had been lost forever in development hell.

As much as I enjoy pretty much anything output by Rockstar, THIS particular title needs Remedy's magic touch. What it most certainly DOESN'T need is a redesign or a location change. Mix the gameplay up by all means but don't mess with a working formula.

I'm of the opinion that Max Payne should be laid to rest... finally and forever. Let a good pair of games have their dignity please.

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
Serenegoose said:
Art Axiv said:
HankMan said:
Unless you play it on the harder difficulty for alternate ending hijinks! Presumably the default ending is canon, but nobody knows for sure yet.
I just want to publicly state how embarrassed I am that I did not know this with Max Payne 2 being one of my favorite games ever.

As for the third one? Well...we'll see. Just because Sam Lake and Remedy aren't attached to it doesn't mean it will be bad. I'm cautiously pessimistic about it though, but I would like to be proven wrong.

Sean Strife

Jan 29, 2010
Robot Overlord said:
Art Axiv said:
HankMan said:
I don't understand... who is "she"? as far as I remember there was only Max' wife and some chick who injected you with valkyr in Max Payne. I'm guessing you're talking about the abomination of fecalmatter that was the supposed sequel to one of the greatest stories ever told in the gaming medium
If I'm not mistaken, Mona was the chick who injected with you Valkyr.

Ferrious

Made From Corpses
Jan 6, 2010
Robot Overlord said:
I don't understand... who is "she"? as far as I remember there was only Max' wife and some chick who injected you with valkyr in Max Payne. I'm guessing you're talking about the abomination of fecalmatter that was the supposed sequel to one of the greatest stories ever told in the gaming medium
Max Payne 2 is probably my favourite game of all time. I felt it improved upon the first one very well, and had a stronger story than some of the valkyr-craziness going on in the first game.

On topic, if Sam Lake isn't involved in Max Payne 3, then I will wait for the reviews.

Also, if James McCaffrey isn't the voice, then I'm not buying it. I practically fell over my chair while playing Alan Wake:

Over Excited Ferrious said:
THAT'S MAX PAYNE!
My name is Ferrious, and I'm a Max-a-holic.

(It's even installed on my work computers.)