Team Fortress 2 Gamers Raise $300,000 For Japan

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Team Fortress 2 Gamers Raise $300,000 For Japan

Valve's Team Fortress 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Team-Fortress-2-Pc/dp/B00140S21O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301515833&sr=8-1] "Hats For Japan" relief effort is a huge success, raising $300,000 from the community so far.

Valve unveiled a very cool program [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108719-Valve-Offers-TF2-Hats-for-Japan-Disaster-Relief] to raise funds for disaster relief efforts in Japan last week: a series of three unique, expensive Team Fortress 2 hats, available for two weeks only, that cannot be traded. In other words, the only way to get one is to pony up a few bucks for Japan and that's exactly what TF2 gamers are doing, in a big way.

"Wow. Seriously, people, WOW. We knew you had it in you, but we're still amazed you've raised over $300,000 so far," the TF2 Team wrote on the Team Fortress blog [http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=5199&p=1]. "Take a BOW, TF2 community -- because that is an incredible, frankly astounding, amount of money from a dedicated number of gamers, to one heck of a lot of people in some real need right now. Anytime someone gives you guff about something negative in gaming, you go ahead and point them to this post, because here's some late-breaking damn news: they are wrong and gamers are generous and awesome."

The three hats - the "Humanitarian Hackimaki" for $7.99, the "Benefactor's Kanmuri" for $19.99 and the "Magnanimous Monarch" for $99.99 - will be on sale until April 6 so there's still plenty of time to pick one up if you haven't already made the move. Good hat, great cause - what more could you ask for?

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Ya, read this yesterday on TF2 website, pretty awesome.

Only wish I could contribute aswell, but can't afford it. ;_;

Toasty Virus

Somehow I Returned?
Dec 2, 2009
I wish I could donate, but I actually have NO money of my own right now :/

These people amaze me.

Ghaleon640

Jan 13, 2011
I'm surprised by the price of the hats, but yeah, it makes sense. Overall, this is very impressive, and I think it would be awesome if more game studios did this. What else is there to say?

PixelKing

Moderately confused.
Sep 4, 2009
$99:99? Really? It is for a great cause but you think the average guy can throw that kind of cash around?

Calderon0311

May 9, 2009
PixelKing said:
$99:99? Really? It is for a great cause but you think the average guy can throw that kind of cash around?
Average, nope. But the 8$ Hackimaki is a good start.

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
Great achievement for Valve and gaming community.

Azaraxzealot said:
i think this shows how much TF2 fanboys love useless in-game accessories, not how much they care about dying children in japan
Seriously?

Vanbael

Arctic fox and BACON lover
Jun 13, 2009
A hat for $99.99!? Am I reading a typo? I am proud of what Valve did, either cater to the hat collectors or reward people for donating, it kind of doesn't matter in the end. Japan gets the money.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
PixelKing said:
Perhaps not, that's why they give you the $8 and $20 options. I'm sure the average guy can afford the equivalent of £4 or £10. Not really sure what issue you have with it.

Azaraxzealot said:
i think this shows how much TF2 fanboys love useless in-game accessories, not how much they care about dying children in japan
The money still went there, so what does it matter either way?

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
Azaraxzealot said:
in case it's not sarcasm, do you seriously think they all did it for the hats?

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
Woodsey said:
PixelKing said:
Perhaps not, that's why they give you the $8 and $20 options. I'm sure the average guy can afford the equivalent of £4 or £10. Not really sure what issue you have with it.

Azaraxzealot said:
i only give props to valve, not the community.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
theriddlen said:
Great achievement for Valve and gaming community.

Azaraxzealot said:
Seriously?
Yea, actually, I agree with him. While I'm willing to bet some spent more then they would have normally, the truth of the matter is that the majority were just spending anything to get the hats more then out of worry for Japan. Especially when they're exclusive, will quickly become rare and some sort of status symbol, and just look pretty cool.

But, to be fair, I do applaude Valve for doing it in the first place. Valve did raise a lot of money for the relief effort, and I do think that it helps put a positive light on the gaming community as a whole (even if nobody who we'd be trying to impress would care that much, given we already have a video game charity raising so much every year). It's a lot of money for a good cause, and the reason why they bought it isn't the issue.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Azaraxzealot said:
Woodsey said:
PixelKing said:

Azaraxzealot said:

... The community donated the money.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
teh_Canape said:
Azaraxzealot said:
in case it's not sarcasm, do you seriously think they all did it for the hats?
gamers have done more for less (example: paying 15 dollars just to have multiplayer maps and nothing else)

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
Woodsey said:
Azaraxzealot said:
Woodsey said:
PixelKing said:

Azaraxzealot said:

for hats. they may as well be buying them from the store. people shouldn't need incentive to donate.

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
Woodsey said:
Azaraxzealot said:
Woodsey said:
PixelKing said:

Azaraxzealot said:

I can kinda see where hes going with this. while the community donated the money, Valve is sending it in their name. Beside i doubt that Japan cares if -=-FreemanisGod-=- (just an example, dunno if this is a real name) donated money, they just need it. Also Valve can mark this down as a tax write-off next year too.