Police Use Stolen Console To Catch Thief

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Police Use Stolen Console To Catch Thief

Dear criminals: if you steal and then fence a console, be aware that the cops will probably be able to track you down when it's connected to the internet.

Stolen electronics, it seems, are getting easier to recover these days. Case in point: Police in Medford, Oregon, managed to track down a burglar who stole -and then sold- a videogame console when the console was registered for online play.

Back on Christmas Eve, a man in Ashland, OR, returned home to find that his house had been burglarized. Amongst the many items missing was a videogame console. However, police were able to track down the console:

The Southern Oregon High-Tech Crimes Task Force contacted the console's manufacturer and was able to trace the unit after it was registered for online gameplay.

Central Point police Lt. Josh Moulin, who supervises the task force, said the trace led to a home in Medford. Officers contacted the resident, who told them he bought the console from Nicholas Gomez, 24, of the 200 block of Oregon Terrace.

Gomez was subsequently interviewed and arrested based on charges of first-and-second-degree theft. However, the police weren't able to find enough evidence to link the man to the burglary.

Exactly what type of console was stolen hasn't been revealed, so it's not clear if kudos should be given to Microsoft, Nintendo, or Sony. It's too bad Gomez wasn't able to be charged with the theft, but it's almost a guarantee that the police will be keeping an eye on the guy.

Source: <a href=http://www.dailytidings.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110331/NEWS/103310323/-1/NEWSMAP>Ashland Daily Tidings

Roganzar

Winter is coming
Jun 13, 2009
However, being logged onto a console can be used as an alibi if done right.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Not enough evidence? Are they stupid? He clearly sold some guy the console he could have only gotten from stealing. The guy admits who sold it to him. This is why we can't have nice things.

Scabadus

Wrote Some Words
Jul 16, 2009
And this is why you sell your stolen goods to reputable underworld contacts.

I mean, this is why you don't steal stuff.

Interesting that they were able to trace the console though, if it was stolen on Christmas Eve you'd expect it to be wrapped up in a cupbard somewhere and not connected and playing games. I wonder what information they traced it by.

Sep 14, 2009
bullshit they don't have enough evidence, i'd beat that guys ass up and down the block for that shit, fuck people like that.

still, awesome that he was "caught"

WolfEdge

Oct 22, 2008
Eri said:
Not enough evidence? Are they stupid? He clearly sold some guy the console he could have only gotten from stealing. The guy admits who sold it to him. This is why we can't have nice things.
Innocent until proven guilty beyond reasonable doubt is quite the *****. That is, until it's you in the hot seat for a crime you didn't commit.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Eri said:
Not really. The guy who had the console says he bought it from this other guy. So now the police have this other guy. The other guy must have stolen it, right? WRONG. The other guy could have bought it from the original thief and then turned around and sold it to try and profit. The person who stole it could have misplaced it, and the guy who decided to sell it just found it wherever the thief lost it. There are other possibilities too.

So, no. They don't have enough proof to say that Gomez actually stole it, which is why they have to let him go. Did he likely steal it? Yeah. But unless they can prove it, whatever story Gomez comes up with is enough to let him walk free. Welcome to the law.

norender

Aug 19, 2010
Wow, some people. Lol just I cant say anything else, but you know, easy way to catch people.

Tendus

Feb 22, 2011
There's always the chance the "buyer" is lying. It's probably slim to nothing, but the cops still need to be sure.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
vansau said:
Exactly what type of console was stolen hasn't been revealed, so it's not clear if kudos should be given to Microsoft, Nintendo, or Sony.
I don't think the PS3 or PSP has a sophisticated enough online setup for this to be Sony's doing (not sure, haven't used my PS3's online in months), and I know for a fact that the Wii and DS don't have what it takes. I'm betting this was a 360.

P.S. Thanks

Phantom Echo

Mar 3, 2011
Well, it's good to know that if anyone ever steals my poor little system, there's a chance that I could get it back without having to worry overly much.

Of course, that assumes that the thief would bother rummaging through the pile of dirty laundry I have thrown over the top of it in order to steal it. I find that underwear, socks, and rancid gym clothes from my high-school days are a good theft-deterrent.

I should know, since I've been robbed once already... and they didn't even move the pile.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Covarr said:
vansau said:
Exactly what type of console was stolen hasn't been revealed, so it's not clear if kudos should be given to Microsoft, Nintendo, or Sony.
I don't think the PS3 or PSP has a sophisticated enough online setup for this to be Sony's doing (not sure, haven't used my PS3's online in months), and I know for a fact that the Wii and DS don't have what it takes. I'm betting this was a 360.

P.S. Thanks
I remember a story from a thread on Sony's forum (the thread was titled: "My Ps3 refused to be a victim" I'm pretty sure).

This guy's PS3 was stolen around Christmas, but the owner had previously connected his PS3 to his PSP for activation and stuff. He kept trying the PS3 for days untill it finally went online and he managed to get control of it with the PSP. He used the webcam the theif also installed to it (bad idea right there) and snapped a photo of him well grabbing the network's IP address. Police caught the guy and returned the PS3.

Was a pretty good story.

Chamale

Sep 9, 2009
Phantom Echo said:
Well, it's good to know that if anyone ever steals my poor little system, there's a chance that I could get it back without having to worry overly much.

Of course, that assumes that the thief would bother rummaging through the pile of dirty laundry I have thrown over the top of it in order to steal it. I find that underwear, socks, and rancid gym clothes from my high-school days are a good theft-deterrent.

I should know, since I've been robbed once already... and they didn't even move the pile.
Bravo, sir.

Since my house was burglarized a few years back, I hide the electronics behind precarious-looking piles of crap. No one will risk a broken neck to steal a laptop. The burglars were idiots anyway the first time - they stole all the beer and a television but didn't take musical instruments.