Gearbox Wants Female Duke Nukem Game

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Gearbox Wants Female Duke Nukem Game

Gearbox's Randy Pitchford wonders what a female version of Duke Nukem would be like.

Now that sexist [], offensive, and harmful to society. Gearbox's Randy Pitchford disagrees, saying that the sex of Duke Nukem isn't as important as his ego-centric personality.

Speaking to CVG, Pitchford echoed recent comments [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107952-Can-Duke-Nukem-Become-a-Feminist-Hero] where he said that Duke Nukem is not as bad as he might seem on the surface. "It's funny, Duke isn't a misogynist," Pitchford said.

"He is ego-centric and everything in his world revolves around him," he continued. "And women can offer him something different than men can. So if, to Duke, women are less than him, it's not because they're women, it's just because they're not him."

Pitchford points out how Duke actually puts himself "at great risk" to make sure women are safe, which is the premise of Duke Nukem Forever. He adds that it'd be interesting to see what a female version of Duke Nukem would be like, saying: "Maybe that's a game."

Pitchford's hit it right on the head here. The Duke Nukem games are not about denigrating women and promoting the male gender, but about Duke Nukem and his over-the-top personality, which just happens to be pretty masculine. A female version of Duke Nukem would be engrossed in herself and her interests too, whatever those might be.

Daisy Nukem, if you will, would likely be completely different than her male counterpart. While the stereotypical male wants to get right into the action and kick some ass, the stereotypical female might have a stable of beefcakes do her fighting for her, until they all get wiped out and she has to step in to take care of business. She'd probably also find a way to be president of the world or something. Any other ideas?

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/290029/interviews/duke-nukem-forever-feminism-fellatio-and-the-funnies/]

luckycharms8282

Mar 28, 2009
She would definitely give the Duke a run for his money as far as kicking ass and chewing bubblegum goes.

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
I think that Gearbox is on to something. The problem is if anyone complained they'd say that she isn't being protrayed as a proper woman and is showing negative protrayals of women.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
Harbinger_ said:
I think that Gearbox is on to something. The problem is if anyone complained they'd say that she isn't being protrayed as a proper woman and is showing negative protrayals of women.
well, people are stupid anyway, it's not like you could fix that

I, for one, think that this idea that Pitchford gave could turn into something interesting

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
SirBryghtside said:
cainx10a said:
Ain't Bayonetta the female Duke Nukem? :p
I guess so, and people pointed out that she was oversexualised.

*looks at picture of Duke*

Um... why is it that no one's complained about Duke being oversexualised?
Because you know, Duke, Marcus and Kratos is what every real man is supposed to look like. >__<

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
So if Duke Nukem is an overy masculine person, will the female constrast, be extremly feminine?

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
He adds that it'd be interesting to see what a female version of Duke Nukem would be like, saying: "Maybe that's a game."
No! That's a bad Randy! Don't wreck classics, ever.

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
I was just talking yesterday about how a Duchess Nukem who did the exact same things as Duke Nukem does(except obviously with men instead of how Duke handles women) would be received entirely differently, and how that was more or less proof that it wasn't misogynistic.

Crazy.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Yeah... Why not?

I'd love to see what would result if you take something as insanely over the top as Duke Nukem and create a female equivalent.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
SirBryghtside said:
cainx10a said:

Not enough penis.

CommanderKirov

Oct 3, 2010
SirBryghtside said:
cainx10a said:

Because men do not make a big deal out of it like women do.
And women care only if their gender is being portrayed in oversexualising manner.

Also how the hell would that work? A female Duke?

Like a hellbent dominatrix bent on saving all the ladyboys in the universe or what?

I just cannot see it... Help?

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
I thought that was Wet. Depending on how you'd want to interpret it I suppose.

Is there a reskin of Duke where all he's wearing is tanga shorts? No? Then I'd say he's not over-sexualized. Or maybe there is, I haven't exactly been paying attention.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
Of course if you took the Duke personality and applied it to a woman the critics wouldn't instead focus on the fact that a woman is being portrayed as a self-centered hedonist.

He is sometimes very poorly behaved, but then Duke Nukem is not a role model, nor has he ever been cast as such.

ShenCS

Aug 24, 2010
cainx10a said:
She's the female Dante. Although I suppose Dante could be called the Japanese Nukem. Hmm... That would be one HELL of a crossover game.