Modern Warfare 2 Puts Entertainment Over Realism

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Modern Warfare 2 Puts Entertainment Over Realism

Modern Warfare 2 will be a far cry from "sim" shooters, according to Infinity Ward, who are going for "authenticity not realism."

Call of Duty 4 might have really made you feel like you were in the thick of a real-life battlefield, but it was never the type of game where you need to worry excessively about recoil or whether you're prone, crouching or standing. Modern Warfare 2 will follow the same spirit.

"We go for authenticity not realism," Infinity Ward's Vince Zampella said. "We're not making a sim, we're making entertainment. We want it to look real like an action movie."

Thus the things that we saw in the Modern Warfare 2 footage from last week: rifles with mounted radars for use in snowy conditions, the ability to somehow fire a pistol while operating a snowmobile. "You see a guy in an action movie, what he does is a little over the top," Zampella explained. Take it from a guy who has crashed a snowmobile into a tree - firing a gun while driving one is "a little over the top."

Don't expect to be doing absurd action movie stuff at all times, though - Infinity Ward's m.o. seems to be to only use things when they work. That's their policy with the open-ended sandbox levels that will feature in Modern Warfare 2. "We do it where it fits and doesn't make the game worse," Zampella said. "There are certain levels like [the Brazilian one] where it fits naturally."

So expect some slightly larger-than-life fun. But don't expect Just Cause 2 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92141].

[Via CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=217173]]

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
...I knew that. I played the first Modern Warfare after all.

Hasn't that always been the MO of the Call Of Duty games? To provide a fun, yet authentic experience?

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
Good game design philosophy. Make it look and sound realistic since you're going for a realistic setting, but don't compromise the gameplay. After all, it would suck if you died after 1-2 shots.

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
Keane Ng said:
We want it to look real like an action movie."
This really is, I mean to say... Real like an action film?! Isn't that kind of an oxymoron? But on topic, why did they need to say this, I'm pretty sure everyone who has played COD4 (or at least everyone I know) expected it to be in the same vein...

Ashbax

Jan 7, 2009
Hooray, I guess. The only game I know of that did very-realistic-shooting well, was rainbow six vegas 2.

But yayz for snowmobile shootouts!

Barry93

Mar 5, 2009
I think snow mobile shoot-out's are an awful idea as I know right now I'm already going to hate that section. I'd also much rather prefer the radar be at the top of the screen and not on the gun.

Now if they could only spend more time on making better maps. I would like to see balanced maps with one side being a mirror image of the other (which would give them time to make twice as many maps). A great example of not doing this is the map Creek. The map was a total failure as one side was cleary superior to the other. Although symmetry isn't everything, Wetwork showed us the multiplayer maps on a boat are a very bad idea as there is no way to get around the enemy team; you could only go foprward to face the enemy. I would also like to see more 1v1 based maps like shipment. Cage matches just don't work on larger scale maps.

Conveant0

Feb 4, 2009
Fine by me, as long as the storyline is solid, I couldn't care to much if Roach manages to discover the lost mystical art of regenerating health from a few bullet wounds to the neck.

pigeon_of_doom

Vice-Captain Hammer
Feb 9, 2008
Kind of pointing out the obvious surely? I mean, I don't remember spending hours dug into a trench on the front-line in their WW2 games. Infinity Ward have been providing quality entertainment for years now, so it should be obvious that they will be providing a condensed, accessible approach to warfare. Hopefully they can attain the same level of engaging storytelling they reached with their previous game.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
You'd be surprised how many people think the CoD games are an army sim...

Glad there's no pretending from Infinity Ward, they use a good design philosophy

Toners

May 27, 2009
A random person said:
Good game design philosophy. Make it look and sound realistic since you're going for a realistic setting, but don't compromise the gameplay. After all, it would suck if you died after 1-2 shots.
this is called the hard setting :p or one shot kill matches, if you're into that kinda thing.

cobrausn

Dec 10, 2008
Toners said:
A random person said:
this is called the hard setting :p or one shot kill matches, if you're into that kinda thing.
Actually, what would really suck is if you were hit by a single bullet and fell down into a pool of your own blood and guts, having to go through an extended scene of battlefield surgery just to keep you alive.

I think I prefer the 'hide in a corner until I feel better' method.

calelogan

Jun 15, 2008
"There are certain levels like [the Brazilian one] where it fits naturally."
As a Brazilian, I'd like to know what they meant by that. As a gamer...I can't wait for it. :)

Toners

May 27, 2009
cobrausn said:
Toners said:
A random person said:
Actually, what would really suck is if you were hit by a single bullet and fell down into a pool of your own blood and guts, having to go through an extended scene of battlefield surgery just to keep you alive.

I think I prefer the 'hide in a corner until I feel better' method.
pool of own blood and guts? :S unless you're hit with a shotgun round from close range or unless it's a dummy round, you probably won't get guts everywhere :S
... unless it's a 50 cal round, in which case say goodbye to a section of your body :D
or a wartime cannon.
plus, it's a game, no serious need for battlefield surgery, that's what the reset button is for :D

Rajin Cajun

Sep 12, 2008
scotth266 said:
...I knew that. I played the first Modern Warfare after all.

Hasn't that always been the MO of the Call Of Duty games? To provide a fun, yet authentic experience?
My thoughts as well. I never took CoD as a sim ever since I picked up the first one. Fun? Yes. Authentic? Somewhat. Realistic? Never. TBH if I wanted an Infantry Sim I already have ARMA.

akmarksman

Mar 28, 2008
Living in a semi-rural part of Alaska..I can attest to being able to do things on a snowmobile/snowmachine..
Firing a gun in the general direction can be done,but it better not be a DEAGLE..something more anemic and controllable..like a Springfield XD or a Glock..

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
So what they're saying is that Modern Warfare 2 will play a lot like the original. I suppose that means I won't like this game either.