From the Vault: In 3-D

APVarney

Writer and game designer
Aug 15, 2006

In celebration of our 300th issue, we look back to this article from 2007, which asked, "Will computer games ever truly breach the third dimension?"

Read Full Article

The Random One

May 29, 2008
HentMas said:
......... I WANT MY JONNY QUEST VIRTUAL WORLD!!!!!
Man, I used to watch the cartoon only for the 'virtual world' in the ending. One day Cartoon Network skipped it for ads. I was so mad.

OT: This makes me wish the Escapist was older, so I could be reading well-written, well thought out articles from 1993 about how RPGs are about to die and adventure games are the future.

MOT (more on topic): When I heard of text based Quake I thought of the Doom roguelike. Aw yeah.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Funny. This mentions seeReal, but fails to mention their prototype holographic displays, which, on paper at least, are way cooler than their autostereoscopic displays.

But... Yeah, we have a long way to go yet.

Although, mentioning ARquake, I suspect you can create your own implementation for a modest budget of $1000-2000 if you make use of a laptop, cheap GPS tranciever, and cheap VR glasses (Vusix comes to mind; They even have AR variants of their glasses, and some models have 6 axis head tracking as well.
Add in a few wii-remotes or similar... Well, cheap it isn't, but the costs are low enough to be managable to anyone that can afford to put together a high end gaming PC.)

Freechoice

Dec 6, 2010
APVarney said:

In celebration of our 300th issue, we look back to this article from 2007, which asked, "Will computer games ever truly breach the third dimension?"

Read Full Article
300?

THIS. IS. SPAR THE ESCAPIST!

Pinguin

Aug 15, 2009
Current generation "3D" is absolute pants. Nothing more than a gimmick distracting away from immersion.

Let me know when they actually make a holodeck-type gaming system, and then I'll be interested in '3D' graphics.

Jan 23, 2009
Volumetric 3D - Best 3D.

Seriously. Thats the one I want.

(Its the "Help me Obi Wan Kanobi youre my only hope" variety of 3D.)