Capcom: RE: Raccoon City Forgoes Typical Survival Horror Elements

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Capcom: RE: Raccoon City Forgoes Typical Survival Horror Elements

Resident Evil: Raccoon City is being developed with the shooter fan in mind.

One of the biggest departures for the first trailer [http://www.amazon.com/Resident-Evil-5-Gold-Playstation-3/dp/B002Z7BE24/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1302017686&sr=8-3] shows off a fast pace and more of a focus on shooting than surviving. Producer Masachika Kawata recently spoke to OXM where he went into detail about the "different direction" Capcom and Slant Six are taking with the title.

"We aren't aiming for another horror game, but a shooting game," Kawata said. "We will have all the regular shooting game specs and features in this game, but on top of that, we will wrap it up with the Resident Evil brand, the universe."

Kawata believes that Raccoon City will be "very, very unique," and he talked about one of the game's systems that will help it to achieve this uniqueness. It'll feature dynamic zombies combined with a health system that makes it harder to take them out when players are injured or bleeding. If players end up in a corner, bleeding, with zombies all around, it might be tough to fight their way out. My guess is that this will be for a reason other than the typical Resident Evil restriction of not being able to run and shoot.

Kawata also called Raccoon City a significant entry for the expansion of Resident Evil to other genres. "The horror games can be pursued in the numbered titles," he said. "However, in a different universe in the Resident Evil world, there should be more challenge, there should be something else that I can do."

More details on Resident Evil: Raccoon City should be released in the coming months.

Source: OXM [http://www.oxm.co.uk/27124/new-resident-evil-is-a-shooter-first-horror-game-second-capcom/]

Drop_D-Bombshell

Doing Nothing Productive...
Apr 17, 2010
That sounds quite a bit like Left 4 Dead minus the special infected, but here we'll have those freaking hunters and lickers. I still think they should try to add some horror elements like monsters crawling into windows in the corner of the screen as such. It ain't resident evil without the "OOH F*CK" moments when a monster bursts through the window in front of you.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
I don't rightly know how to feel about this, I mean obviously I'll still buy it or rent it when it comes out but I like survival games more then shooters.

Rasputin-2

Jan 18, 2010
I really hope we will have the ability to "run and shoot". That has been one of my only complaints about the RE series.

nyttyn

Sep 9, 2008
What is this I don't even.

Wow, we sure did need bland generic shooter 4183

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Drop_D-Bombshell said:
That sounds quite a bit like Left 4 Dead minus the special infected, but here we'll have those freaking hunters and lickers. I still think they should try to add some horror elements like monsters crawling into windows in the corner of the screen as such. It ain't resident evil without the "OOH F*CK" moments when a monster bursts through the window in front of you.
Hell yeah, thats what made the games much more enjoyable. Nothing like Nemy bursting through a wall when you least expect it.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Yes, let's [del]milk the franchise[/del] expand the genre!

Honestly, this game is sounding less and less appealing. With a few fixes to RE4 and RE5's gameplay, I think the series could have gone down the action route while maintaining the horror aspects. And now they're taking the horror out?

"We aren't aiming for another horror game, but a shooting game," Kawata said. "We will have all the regular shooting game specs and features in this game, but on top of that, we will wrap it up with the Resident Evil brand, the universe."
I mean, jeez, he's literally saying that it's just some shooter with the Resident Evil brand name stamped all over it.

The worse part is, one way or the other, this will probably end up on my game shelf.

MaximillionMiles

Jan 20, 2011
*sigh* I'm all for taking a well established series to new directions and trying new things, but... Did you really have to do that, Capcom? Did you need to make it MORE bland? This almost makes me miss the batshit insane plot and bad voice acting of the days gone by...

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I've never even played a Resident Evil game and I'm mildly insulted.

How is a fully third-person shooter an interesting direction to take a horror series in? And what's so unique about that health system? They've just described every standard health system out there today.

""We will have all the regular shooting game specs and features in this game, but on top of that, we will wrap it up with the Resident Evil brand, the universe.""

It doesn't really matter what you print on the box if you're completely changing direction.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Yeah, because Resident Evil 5 was a tense survival horror experience and totally not an action-oriented third person shooter.

Hey, at least they're being honest about it now.

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
People should chill out.

I'm all for more resident evil games. It's an amazing universe and if it means returning to Racoon city during resident evil 2 and 3's events in a co-op action game then thats great.
This game looks fun and I'm looking forward to killing tyrants in co-op with friends.

Plus it'll be interesting to play as the umbrella clean up crew soldiers during the outbreak.

Misho-

May 20, 2010
I'm pretty sure that, eliminating the horror elements- Sticking to shooting rather than surviving- Making Co-op- Not having a fixed camera angle- And lastly being mostly online, fans (of the "real" Resident Evil, basically before RE4) will cry foul!

I'm not sure this series should continue at all for now.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
"We aren't aiming for another horror game, but a shooting game," Kawata said.
Really? We didn't notice -_-

Kawata believes that Raccoon City will be "very, very unique.
... Bwahahahaha!

If there's a game I would like to participate in a boycot it would be this.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
lol, I still have a laugh when fans of the series try to justify the story or the quality of the series.

Resident Evil is a cash cow, how many flops do we fans need to understand that? Resident Evil 5 was a joke.

Bakuryukun

Jul 12, 2010
josemlopes said:
lol, I still have a laugh when fans of the series try to justify the story or the quality of the series.

Resident Evil is a cash cow, how many flops do we fans need to understand that? Resident Evil 5 was a joke.
Resi 5 wasn't a flop. You just don't like it, there's a difference.

Haydyn

Mar 27, 2009
Another shooter? Team based? The day Resident Evil opens up and just says they are not making survival horror is the day I stop playing Resident Evil. RE is the only horror game francise I like.

SteakHeart

Jul 20, 2009
Ubermetalhed said:
People should chill out.

I'm all for more resident evil games. It's an amazing universe and if it means returning to Racoon city during resident evil 2 and 3's events in a co-op action game then thats great.
This game looks fun and I'm looking forward to killing tyrants in co-op with friends.

Plus it'll be interesting to play as the umbrella clean up crew soldiers during the outbreak.
I agree with those statements wholeheartedly. There's just something so lovably cathartic about playing as the bad guy. And I also love Co-op against NPC enemies far more than Multipkayer Deathmatch. So, yeah.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
[quote post="7.275367.10674224"]Kawata believes that Raccoon City will be "very, very unique," and he talked about one of the game's systems that will help it to achieve this uniqueness. It'll feature dynamic zombies combined with a health system that makes it harder to take them out when players are injured or bleeding. If players end up in a corner, bleeding, with zombies all around, it might be tough to fight their way out. [/quote]

Yes, that is totally unique, because it definitely has not already been done in Left 4 Dead.

I have zero faith in this title. It's just another spin-off using the RE name to sell product on what is otherwise probably a generic 3rd person shooter.

The RE series has made some fantastic games, but I think it's pretty much over now. Dead and gone. It needs to stop coming back to life :p

reguess Unite

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Bakuryukun said:
josemlopes said:

Resi 5 wasn't a flop. You just don't like it, there's a difference.
I am sorry but I laughed my way trough the game at how bad it was.

1- The AI is really, really bad. It isnt even about the AI itself, they can go from one spot to another without problems but the enemies lack consistency.

Ex.:
Why do the enemies slow down when 5 feet away from you? Why do they walk like zombies only when 5 feet away? They can run, ride bikes, ride boats, ride trucks, use weapons but since its a zombie game they must slow down. BAD FUCKING DESIGN.

2- The controls are terrible and end up being a way of just making the game harder.
I cant walk while aiming? Why? Why must I exit the aiming stance to walk? I understand that they dont want me to strafe around and shooting at the same time but this?

Here's an idea, let the player walk BUT while walking the gun shakes a lot making it hard to hit anything. Its realistic and it doesnt make you die from cheap deaths.

This isnt even a horror game so why did they chose a control scheme made for slow paced games?

3- Dialogues and cutscenes, its funny that in every event related to zombies Umbrella is always there but they still act all suprised when they see the logo.

The villains monologues are so bad:

"Look at me! I have this thing with a button!"

"Dont do it! (while pointing him a gun)"

"I will, its getting closer to my neck"

"I will shoot"

"It is sticking in my neck, Im going to press the button"

"Stop!"

He presses the button, transforms into a monster, Chris and Sheeva look at him with the faces of "OMG WTF!?" although it is the third guy that pulled that stunt off that day and now I have to fight a huge monster while searching for rockets.

4- This: At 6:18

There is more crap in the game but I think that this is enough for now. I really hate that people gave this game good scores when it came out mainly because of beeing a Resident Evil game, now they look back and see how shitty, predictable, cheesy it was.