Xbox Live Enforcer Reacts to "Hacking"

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Xbox Live Enforcer Reacts to "Hacking"

Stephen Toulouse, head of policy enforcement for Xbox Live, has multiple voicemail recordings laced with colorful expletives from the hacker known as "Predator."

Yesterday, stepto.com [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108961-Rumor-Xbox-Live-Policy-Enforcer-Hacked-By-Banned-Player] for the breach. Predator apparently convinced someone at Network Solutions to reset Toulouse's password, and then used that to log into Stepto.com to steal the password for his Xbox Live account. In response to Predator's claims that he is only reaching out to Toulouse to point out holes in his security blanket, the Xbox Live enforcer played a voicemail message he received from Predator.

"He got an old cell phone [number] of mine, and yeah, he called it occasionally," he told Joystiq. "I have a six minute one where he and his friend discuss all the different ways they're gonna have sex with my wife."

Because of messages like that and Predator's actions taking over his website, Toulouse seriously dismisses the notion that Predator is benevolently hacking to help close security holes with Xbox Live. "What happened here had absolutely nothing to do with Xbox Live," Toulouse said. "What these kids try and do is, all day long, they try and get my account or someone's account who's popular or prominent. We're talking like hours and hours and hours of phone calls and trading tips and tricks on forums. It's quite humorous sometimes to watch."

He expects to pursue this attack with as much legal gusto that Microsoft can muster. "What he did, from a lot of people's point of view, I think, is a crime, and we're going to be investigating that," said Toulouse. "We certainly take threats against accounts seriously. We want to make sure that our customers are protected as well."

For what it's worth, Predator claims that he's been banned "over 35" times for allegedly modifying his Xbox 360 console and that Toulouse "had it coming."

"I'm simply letting them know I'm willing to help them secure accounts from future hackers," Predator explained. "All accounts are open for hacking."

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/04/microsofts-toulouse-on-xbox-live-hacker-hes-not-trying-to-he/]

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
So if I contact a web site adim, and manage to convice them im someone else, and that I cant access my account, they will reset the password, allowing me access... and I can call myself a hacker?

Damn, if thats all it takes, than I was wasting my time trying to do what they did in Hackers...

The Zango

Resident stoner and Yognaught
Apr 30, 2009
Have at em, all those kids were are childish fraudsters and while I'm usually on the side of Hackers, I think this time I can get onboard with Microsoft creating a legal shitstorm.

Booze Zombie said:
You ain't going to be any form of predator in jail, boy.
Made me lol

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
The Zango said:
Made me lol
+ 1 to my ego

Thank you kindly for that, have a good day.

Rayne870 said:
Absolutely perfect first post.
I don't know if my ego can take this... I feel awesome!

CosmicCommander said:
And I am the man who arranges the blocks...

...OF THE PRISON SHOWERS!

/referenceandcrappyanalsexjoke
Did you make that reference because of my avatar? Also, I liked that. I really did.

Misho-

May 20, 2010
Lol, I love how hackers, well, hack you and then turn to you (with a smug grin on their face) and tell you I can help so it doesn't happen again in the future... :S :p

Reminds me too much to GeoHotz.

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
Sounds like a run of the mill douche to me?

Sad thing is that this Net Admin for his hosting company probably just got fired. The only way this kid could have gotten in is if they reset the password to nothing, or told them over the phone what the password is. For every ISP I have worked in, this is a sackable offense.

I hope they track this kids IP and just raid mummy and daddy's basement. I know that if the man does nothing about this kids behaviour he is only going to get exponentially worse.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
I might honestly believe GeoHotz should not be punished for his "crimes". But this Predator-guy, I hope Microsoft crush him with all its might.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
I lol when people think password resetting combined with social engineering is hacking... Most of the "modders" and "hackers" on xbox are usually trolls and live for this sort of crap. If anything it just hurts the cause they try and push, making groups like Anonymous seem chaotic and inmature.

That's why that PS3 hacker Geohotz is going to have to pay out his ass.

CosmicCommander

Friendly Neighborhood Troll?
Apr 11, 2009
Booze Zombie said:
You ain't going to be any form of predator in jail, boy.
And I am the man who arranges the blocks...

...OF THE PRISON SHOWERS!

/referenceandcrappyanalsexjoke

Speakercone

May 21, 2010
Misho- said:
Lol, I love how hackers, well, hack you and then turn to you (with a smug grin on their face) and tell you I can help so it doesn't happen again in the future... :S :p

Reminds me too much to GeoHotz.
Let's be fair to the folks in white hats for a minute. There are people who do legitimately hack things in order to help shore up security.

But yeah, I agree. Fuck people like this guy.

Nico III

Apr 16, 2008
My favourite part of the whole story was how it took "Predator" 4 months to get access to StepTo's account long enough to change his profile info to "Jacked by Predator" and that was it.

Time well spent.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Get the guy done for harassment, I'm sure that'll take the fuck face down a peg.