Buy Dragon Age 2, Get Mass Effect 2 Free - UPDATED

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Buy Dragon Age 2, Get Mass Effect 2 Free - UPDATED

BioWare is offering a sweet deal to gamers who buy Mass Effect 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Age-2-Playstation-3/dp/B0047TLIBU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1302048638&sr=8-3].

It's called "The BioWare Sequel Celebration," and it works like this. Everyone who buys a copy of Dragon Age 2 and activates its Online Pass content by April 30, 2011, will be given a code to enter at the BioWare Social Network. That code will make a digital copy of the PC version of Mass Effect 2 available through the EA Download Manager, absolutely free.

"Thanks to gamers like you, Dragon Age 2 is off to a great start - breaking the one million mark in less than two weeks and faster than Dragon Age: Origins [http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Age-Origins-Xbox-360/dp/B001IK1BJ0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302049378&sr=8-1]," the company said. "We appreciate your support. As a special thank you for helping with the game's early success, BioWare would like to present you with a download code for 2010's Game of the Year, Mass Effect 2 on PC."

Naturally, there are a few catches. Dragon Age 2 owners are eligible for the free game regardless of the platform they purchased it on, but the giveaway is only for the PC version of Mass Effect 2. If you purchased a used copy of Dragon Age 2, you must purchase and install the Online Pass content separately in order to get the free game, and the offers ends at 11:59 pm PDT, no exceptions - so if you snooze, you lose.

But a full copy of one of last year's biggest releases, totally free, just for buying a game you were probably going to pick up anyway? No matter how you look at it, that's pretty awesome stuff. A lot of BioWare fans may already own Mass Effect 2 but for those who don't, this is one seriously sweet deal. Full "BioWare Sequel Celebration" details and instructions on how to get your own free copy of Mass Effect 2 are available at the BioWare Social Network [http://social.bioware.com/me2offer/].

Thanks to Kalezian [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/Kalezian] for the tip.

UPDATE: The original report stated, as did the offer FAQ [http://dragonage.bioware.com/me2offer/#faq], that the free version of Mass Effect 2 would not include the bonus Cerberus Network content. Something, somewhere, has apparently changed, because the FAQ now says the opposite.

"Cerberus Network is included and will be entitled to the account used to redeem your Dragon Age 2 Online Pass," it says. "This includes Zaeed - The Price of Revenge, Cerberus Weapon and Armor, Normandy Crash Site, Cerberus Arc Projector, and Firewalker Pack. Visit the offer page to download the necessary files."

Even better!

drkchmst

Mar 28, 2010
This would be an awesome deal but the EA Download Manager is epic fail. For some people it opens and doesn't let them download and for others it doesn't even open. So far I haven't seen any word on the forums on a fix.

CarlsonAndPeeters

Mar 18, 2009
This would be an awesome deal, but I don't want either game so I would still end up losing money.

EDIT: no beef with BioWare, the series just aren't my things

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Well, that's quite big.

But I already played ME2 (in fact, I finished the last of the content I care about yesterday and I doubt I'll bother with a second playthrough).

Also, Kasumi > Zaeed (and unless you get the game new she's much cheaper (that didn't sound good, did it?))

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
NpPro93 said:
This would be an awesome deal, but I don't want either game so I would still end up losing money.

EDIT: no beef with BioWare, the series just aren't my things
Actually, that is what I was about to say. I was actually tempted to buy this, but then I remembered how much I hated Dragon Age and how I can't get into Mass Effect at all. Nice try, though, BioWare.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Yes I'm sure this is a fantastic deal for the 4 people who didn't already own mass effect 2.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Cool, but I already have ME2 :( I've still got Origins to finish anyway. Though My PS3 is broken.

Neat deal though as Mass Effect 2 is one of my all time favorite games, and I only got it a month ago!

Pilkingtube

Edible
Mar 24, 2010
This is amazing, a free copy of Mass Effect 2? :D
Now I just need to buy Mass Effect 1 before playing it so I know what the hell is going.. wait.. damnit Bioware, you're clever with your devious marketing you know! Still, it's a great excuse for me to finally get into the series, currently been waiting for another Steam sale.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
I believe I would like this personally more if I

A) Didn't already have both games
B) Had a PC that I could play that on

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
CM156 said:
I believe I would like this personally more if I

A) Didn't already have both games
B) Had a PC that I could play that on
This, but I only have ME2. So I'll just wait and get it by itself, whenever I have a better computer. Maybe. I might not be interested after a while.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
Would be a nice deal, if I were a Bioware fan. I do not get why people hate Square-Enix for trying new things with their Final Fantasy series, but praise Bioware for making the same game since 1998.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Ghengis John said:
Yes I'm sure this is a fantastic deal for the 4 people who didn't already own mass effect 2.
Maybe but i have mass effect 2 for the xbox and this is a great opportunity to try it on the PC, like a demo but its the full game, and free.

malestrithe said:
Would be a nice deal, if I were a Bioware fan. I do not get why people hate Square-Enix for trying new things with their Final Fantasy series, but praise Bioware for making the same game since 1998.
Ah yes, because Square-Enix has obviously not done the same thing by following the same basic plot line for the last ten games
/endsarcasm

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
Well this worked out nicely for me. Now I can gift ME2 to my brother and skip out on getting him an actual birthday present. He's even building a new gaming rig, so thanks for doing my shopping for me, Bioware!

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
I already own it, just giving the code away to someone assuming I can do that.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Uses the EA downlowder Manager.

No Cerberus Network content.

Already own it.

Three strikes and you are out!

binvjoh

Sep 27, 2010
Well I already own Mass Effect 2 but I'll be sure to let my friend, who recently bought Dragon Age 2, know.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Cool. I already have ME2 on the 360, but gift horses, mouths etc.

malestrithe said:
Congratulations, that makes exactly no sense at all.

[sub]People don't hate Square-Enix for trying new things with their Final Fantasy series.
Square-Enix isn't trying new things with their Final Fantasy series.
BioWare hasn't been making the same game since 1998.
People hate BioWare because their newer games are too different from their older fare.

And I'm saying this as someone who kind of liked FFXIII.
[/sub]

TheLazyGeek

Nov 7, 2009
Are people really complaining about free stuff? Even if you already have ME2, be happy for those who don't but bought DA2 anyway...even if you have to go through EA download manager...bah, whatever.