Astronaut Gives Out-Of-This-World Space Concert

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Astronaut Gives Out-Of-This-World Space Concert

Cady Coleman's weightless flute performance from the International Space Station is one of the coolest things you'll see today.

Astronauts are plenty impressive people on their own, but every now and then someone special like Cady Coleman joins their ranks. Coleman is currently stationed up in the International Space Station, where she plays the flute to relax in her free time. Recently, she put on a little demonstration that was broadcast on the Web for the whole world to see.

Coleman's video was produced for the DMI House event in Austin, Texas that took place last month. The beginning gives viewers a tour of the station and winds up in the cupola of the ISS, whereupon she shows off the spectacular views of the ISS and finally plays some music. The coolest part of the video, though, is when she shows off her musical instruments.

As Coleman eloquently explains in the video, she wanted to bring other people's instruments with her for the trip to the ISS "because space is so special. I've been here twice before but never really lived here. And I know how special it is. it's the kind of place and experience that you want to share and help other people understand that space belongs to all of us."

So, Coleman's instruments (aside from her own) include a silver flute from Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull, an Irish flute from Matt Molloy of The Chieftains, and a tin whistle from Paddy Moloney (also of The Chieftains).

Coleman's performance is lovely, but it's the views from the cupola that really steal the show. The whole video is pretty stunning, and I can only hope that a follow-up performance is in the works.

Source: Geeks Are Sexy

Ekit

Oct 19, 2009
That's the coolest thing I've seen in A LONG time!!

I don't know much about flute playing o I can't tell if she's a good player or not, but the view from out the window was breathtaking.

FoOd77

Jul 2, 2009
Space and music, for some reason those two things go together amazingly well, just watch 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Awesome video, props to Coleman and everybody on the ISS.

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
Damn. I miss space.

Oh sure, it was cold, dark and the fear that I may die at any moment because of a crack in my scpaceship got larger but hell, it was a pretty sight.

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
You know, just seeing this, the strangne unreal normality of it all drives home that we have left our planet and gone into the void.

To misquote xkcd, some time ago we started living in the future.

JakobBloch

Apr 7, 2008
If someone gave me the chance for any experience I wanted only restricted by current technology, my wish would be to go into space.

I am 30 years old in 2 days and still, whenever I think of space and spacetravel I instantly revert to a 10 year old kid with wonder in my mind while stareing at the night sky.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
See this is why I don't want gravity...Lucky lady, and yes this was reaaaalllly awesome!

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Nothing worse than a show-off.

OT: In your face the rest of the world Ireland beats you again.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Damn. After seeing how her hair flows around and the flute just...floats around, i am amazed.
Sure, i knew that there was no gravity in space. But damn...it looks so unbelivably awesome, I suddenly have the urge to become an astronaut... What the hell. And what a view she had...amazing.

Damn. Now I really want to go space. Please, some deity and/or extremely rich person, grant my wish!

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
That is so awesome. Though I wonder what thier internet speed are in space?

Still awesome.

supernovashadow

Apr 2, 2010
LavaLampBamboo said:
You know, just seeing this, the strangne unreal normality of it all drives home that we have left our planet and gone into the void.

To misquote xkcd, some time ago we started living in the future.
I had the same reaction. It still amazes me that we have people living IN SPACE. Seriously, how cool is that?

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
At 3:45 you can see a Soyuz capsule!

Damn, this is awesome! I wish I could thank her.

internetzealot1

Aug 11, 2009
"which doubles as our gym and our bathroom."
wat?

And did anyone else see a flashing light fly past the window at 5:13.