Star Ruler Studio Really Hates GameStop

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Star Ruler Studio Really Hates GameStop

Star Ruler will be pulled from digital distributor Impulse, which was recently acquired by GameStop, because creator Blind Mind Studios really hates GameStop.

GameStop dropped a big bombshell last week when it announced the purchase of Impulse [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108904-GameStop-Buys-Impulse-Further-Invests-in-Digital-Distribution], one of the biggest digital distributors in the business. It's no Steam, but it's right up there with Direct2Drive, GamersGate and GOG, and its acquisition represents a huge maneuver in GameStop's battle to remain relevant in the era of digital. But not everyone is thrilled with the new boss.

"On March 31st, Stardock Systems announced that Impulse will be purchased by GameStop, likely some time in May. Due to a rather large list of things we detest about GameStop, Star Ruler will no longer be available for purchase on Impulse after the takeover," Blind Mind founder and lead programmer Andrew Ackermann, also known as "Thy Reaper," wrote on the Star Ruler [http://starruler.blind-mind.com/] website.

"We are ending sales through Impulse due to GameStop's long, negative behavior toward the PC platform and independent games," he continued. "We would never have signed onto distribution through GameStop, and being forced into this situation has only made it worse for us. We feel GameStop cannot serve as the leader of a true competitor in the digital distribution market."

Ackermann emphasized that the studio's relationship with Impulse has been "consistently good" and that it had every intention of continuing to use the service for future releases. But with Impulse founder Brad Wardell out of the picture, Blind Mind says it no longer has faith in the future of the service.

It won't leave Impulse customers stranded, however. "We will be trying to arrange the continuation of automatic updates through Impulse. If this doesn't work out, our patches are all compatible with the Impulse version, and we will be working on an automatic updater for all of our customers to make the update process simpler," Ackermann said.

And that, kids, is called putting your money where your mouth is.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Ok, I know I can be irrational at times, but that is just plain childish.

dagens24

Mar 20, 2004
Badass. Good for them. They have the courage of their convictions and I think that's very honorable of them.

Omnific One

Apr 3, 2010
gigastar said:
They are just worried about the direction it will take. They don't want extra draconian DRM or a lower cut of the profits. It's not irrational; it's business.

More than likely, it'll appear on other DD services.

Firgof

Jun 8, 2010
We're on a number of distributors other than Impulse. (GamersGate, Steam, Desura, Iceburg Interactive)

Also as a pre-emptive: We had no choice but to act immediately. Legally, there was no other recourse if we didn't want to partner.

Frylock72

Dec 7, 2009
RaikuFA said:
so noone can buy this game now?
They'll likely move to another digital distribution platform; Steam, Direct2Drive or what have you, we'll have to wait and see.

OT: I think the last line of the article pretty much sums it up. Good on them to stick to their guns.

mew4ever23

Mar 21, 2008
Well. That's definitely going to grab GameStop's attention. It is good to see someone keeping to promises they make. Maybe they should offer thier game on Steam? Plenty of indie developers sell there.

tgcPheonix

Feb 10, 2010
mew4ever23 said:
Well. That's definitely going to grab GameStop's attention. It is good to see someone keeping to promises they make. Maybe they should offer thier game on Steam? Plenty of indie developers sell there.
its already on steam

http://store.steampowered.com/app/70900/?snr=1_200_200_256_13

and to be honest, I dont blame them.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Omnific One said:
gigastar said:
They are just worried about the direction it will take. They don't want extra draconian DRM or a lower cut of the profits. It's not irrational; it's business.

Draconian DRM policies i can understand. Not simply using multiple digital distribution platforms i cannot understand.

Besides he stated the reason quite clearly.
From that newspost said:
"On March 31st, Stardock Systems announced that Impulse will be purchased by GameStop, likely some time in May. Due to a rather large list of things we detest about GameStop, Star Ruler will no longer be available for purchase on Impulse after the takeover,"

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
ATTENTION PEOPLE. THIS GAME IS ALREADY AVAILABLE ON STEAM AND DIRECT2DRIVE.

ex2katana

Feb 4, 2005
Firgof said:
We're on a number of distributors other than Impulse. (GamersGate, Steam, Desura, Iceburg Interactive)

Also as a pre-emptive: We had no choice but to act immediately. Legally, there was no other recourse if we didn't want to partner.
I don't know if this guy really is from Blind Mind. If he is, that's awesome.

Good for them. If you dislike a company that strongly, it's your right and responsibility to avoid doing business with them. I personally think that the problem is less with Gamestop and more with the education of the consumers (assuming one of the bullets on Blind Mind's list of grievances is the pre-owned sales model), so I still use Gamestop but only buy new games. Still, it's good to see someone taking a stand.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
gigastar said:
As far as I'm aware, it's called having principles.

Yes, those will conflict with other things in life at times, but it's better to hold on to them rather than break them just because it might inconvenience you.

Omnific One

Apr 3, 2010
gigastar said:
Omnific One said:
gigastar said:

Draconian DRM policies i can understand. Not simply using multiple digital distribution platforms i cannot understand.

Besides he stated the reason quite clearly.
From that newspost said:
"On March 31st, Stardock Systems announced that Impulse will be purchased by GameStop, likely some time in May. Due to a rather large list of things we detest about GameStop, Star Ruler will no longer be available for purchase on Impulse after the takeover,"
A large number of things SUCH AS Gamestop being quite greedy and only looking toward gaining the most profit. It is inevitable that they will jack up the share taken by Gamestop to somewhere between 60-75% to recoup expenses incurred during the sale.

Firgof

Jun 8, 2010
As well as Desura, and Iceburg Interactive.

Not simply using multiple digital distribution platforms i cannot understand.
There are some parts of that decision that we legally cannot discuss.

EDIT:
I don't know if this guy really is from Blind Mind. If he is, that's awesome.
I am indeed and thank you. :)

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Well my hats off to them for sticking to their guns, I wish more people in the industry and community would. I might have to check out Star Ruler too. It looks right up my alley.

Lorechaser

Aug 28, 2004
I'm fairly tempted to break my self-imposed No New Games rule to buy this on Steam now.

I still maintain the whole Impulse purchase is an elaborate April Fools joke or GOG type stunt.

Omnific One

Apr 3, 2010
Slycne said:
Well my hats off to them for sticking to their guns, I wish more people in the industry and community would. I might have to check out Star Ruler too. It looks right up my alley.
Quite, and I admit it is a stunningly good business decision as well. The massive amount of positive publicity originating from the core gaming realm will likely lead to exponentially increased sales numbers. Bravo.