Mortal Kombat Web Series To Launch Next Week

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Mortal Kombat Web Series To Launch Next Week

Great news forMortal Kombat fans: The new Web series is going to start up next Tuesday.

Ever since Kevin Tancharoen's crazy Mortal Kombat movie short appeared on the Web, everyone's been clamoring to know when we'd get to see more. Well, good news: the new Web series is set to debut in six days, on April 12th.

After a ton of news about the series, including set photos and casting news being released by involved parties, things have been relatively quiet for the past month or so. However, a new report is now claiming that the series will launch a week before the new Mortal Kombat game hits store shelves.

This timing makes a lot of sense: Warner Bros. wants to build up as much goodwill towards the franchise before the game actually releases. Honestly, the series hasn't really been all that amazing in recent years, though a particular low point (for me, at least) was Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe. As a result, re-branding the series for a game that effectively reboots the entire franchise mythology doesn't seem like a bad move.

Of course, there's still little actual information about the show itself. The series will feature Tancharoen's gritty style mixed with the fantasy elements of the game universe itself. That said, it sounds like we'll all get the opportunity to enjoy the series come 4PM next Tuesday.

Source: Screen Rant

Roganzar

Winter is coming
Jun 13, 2009
Looking forward to this.
Actually I didn't hate MK vs DC, don't get me wrong I'm not going to go out of my way to promote it or anything, but it was kinda fun. Until the recycled/reskinned animations got to be to much.

Additionally, this will hopefully be the definition of "Serendipity." He accidentally put it up on youtube for everyone, meant to do it for a couple of people, and now is making it for real, (and I think getting paid to do it to). Hopefully a hit.

Frylock72

Dec 7, 2009
I so can't wait for this. When I saw the original youtube video, I was actually engaged, though seeing the woman who was playing Sonya was a definite plus for me.

Edit: Jeri Ryan.

AgentBJ09

May 24, 2010
Yeah, this is a bad idea waiting to happen. I still get horrified thinking of Reptile as a disfigured Jeffrey Dahmer, and not in a good way.

I'll buy the game, and gladly ignore this, thanks.

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
Awesome, I was wondering when this would be coming out after hearing the news it would be a web series.

Just one thing though... Where on earth is it being put up? Nobody has mentioned that. Will it cost?

Sheaphard117

Nov 5, 2009
Didn't this trailer first come out like, 5 years ago? What have they been doing with it since then?

Bunnymarn

Oct 8, 2008
Sheaphard117 said:
Didn't this trailer first come out like, 5 years ago? What have they been doing with it since then?
...It came out in 2010. Even the video title says the year.

Anyway, since Australia has no R18+ rating, looks like this'll be the best Mortal Kombat stuff I can get.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
MK vs DC would do less damage if people would stop thnking its part of the official series. Its not MK 8, the new one is. If that game is MK 8, then what does Marvel vs Capcom count as in Street Fighter? SF24? (counting every other side game they do with SF, and and being very generous since its probably closer to 40) ((sorry for semi off topic rant -.-))

Blubberburg

Sep 17, 2009
this is actually pretty cool, has the 'mortal kombat' fights with the flips n kicks n whatnot but without the excessive poorness and all that mambo jumbo, except if this is like the opening thing and they have already two characters i thought were cool dead, meh idonno im still gonna watch it

AgentBJ09

May 24, 2010
Saelune said:
MK vs DC would do less damage if people would stop thnking its part of the official series. Its not MK 8, the new one is. If that game is MK 8, then what does Marvel vs Capcom count as in Street Fighter? SF24? (counting every other side game they do with SF, and and being very generous since its probably closer to 40) ((sorry for semi off topic rant -.-))
It does need saying, though.

The DC game was non canon, and to be honest, very fun if you saw it as such. I'm surprised not a lot of people do. However, it is still an MK game to me, despite the lessened blood and gore content.

Still, I believe Marvel would've requested the same from Midway if they had approached the company about this crossover. In this case though, big props to DC for going with MK as a crossover.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
AgentBJ09 said:
Saelune said:

The DC game was non canon, and to be honest, very fun if you saw it as such. I'm surprised not a lot of people do. However, it is still an MK game to me, despite the lessened blood and gore content.

Still, I believe Marvel would've requested the same from Midway if they had approached the company about this crossover. In this case though, big props to DC for going with MK as a crossover.
I dunno, Marvel seems a bit grittier than DC sometimes. But its Mortal Kombat! I know if I made some big thing and was gonna do a crossover with MK, I would be like "Rip em to shreds!". Seems more respectable to not be so uptight with your characters.

But eitherway, I just ignore MK vs DC, and remember I love the other ones.

AgentBJ09

May 24, 2010
Saelune said:
AgentBJ09 said:
Saelune said:

I dunno, Marvel seems a bit grittier than DC sometimes. But its Mortal Kombat! I know if I made some big thing and was gonna do a crossover with MK, I would be like "Rip em to shreds!". Seems more respectable to not be so uptight with your characters.

Fair enough, but if I recall from my collection of comics, DC still has a general policy of their heroes not killing anyone else unless in rare situations. Blackest Night/Brightest Day was one showing of that.

I can't blame them for playing safe on that, and although many at Midway were fans of DC comics already, there had to be a bit of give and take on this as I see it.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
AgentBJ09 said:
Saelune said:
AgentBJ09 said:
Saelune said:

Fair enough, but if I recall from my collection of comics, DC still has a general policy of their heroes not killing anyone else unless in rare situations. Blackest Night/Brightest Day was one showing of that.

I can't blame them for playing safe on that, and although many at Midway were fans of DC comics already, there had to be a bit of give and take on this as I see it.
Im a Marvel fan and my interest in DC is very limited, but it always bothered me morally that Arkam Asylum exists. A Robot Chicken sketch shows how I feel about it. Joker mocks Batman for not killing bad guys since he will just go to jail for a bit then break out and thus wins.

Byt thats a different discussion. As for give and take, its hard for me to be ok with removing alot of what makes Mortal Kombat, Mortal Kombat. Even as a huge fan I am well aware its biggest difference is the gore since its not the most complex fighter. (fun though)

AgentBJ09

May 24, 2010
Saelune said:
AgentBJ09 said:

Im a Marvel fan and my interest in DC is very limited, but it always bothered me morally that Arkam Asylum exists. A Robot Chicken sketch shows how I feel about it. Joker mocks Batman for not killing bad guys since he will just go to jail for a bit then break out and thus wins.

Byt thats a different discussion. As for give and take, its hard for me to be ok with removing alot of what makes Mortal Kombat, Mortal Kombat. Even as a huge fan I am well aware its biggest difference is the gore since its not the most complex fighter. (fun though)
Yeah. I did miss the gore and nasty Fatalities, but as a DC fan, I was willing to forgive much of that and enjoy the game.

Speaking of, that makes me scratch my head at this new web series. It seems to be nothing but violence and blood. Even as an alternate imagining, I see this as MK in-name-only, and the image of Reptile being a disfigured Jeffrey Dahmer of this incarnation...Ugh. Makes me sick to think about it.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
AgentBJ09 said:
Saelune said:
AgentBJ09 said:

Yeah. I did miss the gore and nasty Fatalities, but as a DC fan, I was willing to forgive much of that and enjoy the game.

Speaking of, that makes me scratch my head at this new web series. It seems to be nothing but violence and blood. Even as an alternate imagining, I see this as MK in-name-only, and the image of Reptile being a disfigured Jeffrey Dahmer of this incarnation...Ugh. Makes me sick to think about it.
Well, to turn your phrase on you, its sort of a give and take that Im ok with. Considering what they COULD change to what they did, its not so bad. Though the first trailor was for a movie which wanted to give realistic reasons for the non human characters, but now that they are accepting the supernatural stuff, the trailer may be ignored and they will make reptile an actual lizard man.

AgentBJ09

May 24, 2010
Saelune said:
AgentBJ09 said:

Well, to turn your phrase on you, its sort of a give and take that Im ok with. Considering what they COULD change to what they did, its not so bad. Though the first trailor was for a movie which wanted to give realistic reasons for the non human characters, but now that they are accepting the supernatural stuff, the trailer may be ignored and they will make reptile an actual lizard man.
I hope so, but I still don't have high hopes for this thing. (Cage's Force Ball and Shadow Kick/Uppercut moves are from his training, not magic, according to canon.)

I know the canon and mythos of MK like the back of my hand, which may be why I don't like this incarnation. Then again, it's likely non canon as was MK vs. DCU, so I can rest easy.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
AgentBJ09 said:
Saelune said:
AgentBJ09 said:

I hope so, but I still don't have high hopes for this thing. (Cage's Force Ball and Shadow Kick/Uppercut moves are from his training, not magic, according to canon.)

I know the canon and mythos of MK like the back of my hand, which may be why I don't like this incarnation. Then again, it's likely non canon as was MK vs. DCU, so I can rest easy.
Well, you will have the new game to distract you if it sucks.