EA CEO: Battlefield 3 Is Designed to Take COD Down

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
EA CEO: Battlefield 3 Is Designed to Take COD Down

EA CEO John Riccitiello dreams of a "clash of the titans" between Call of Duty and Battlefield 3, a game that is designed to take the shooter crown from Activision.

When it comes to cash cows, Activision's Call of Duty franchise is like Babe the Blue Ox: It's huge, it's dominant, and it makes all the other not-huge-not-blue oxen rather jealous. EA has set its sights straight on its biggest rival's biggest moneymaker, and big boss John Riccitiello thinks that this holiday season will be the biggest showdown yet.

"This November we're launching Battlefield 3," Riccitiello said at the Ad Age Digital Conference [http://adage.com/article/special-report-digital-conference/ea-ceo-riccitiello-gaming-mass-media/226832/] in New York City. "It's going up against the next Call of Duty, which is presently the number one game in the game industry. It's a game that did $400 million in revenue on day one."

No subsequent Call of Duty has been announced yet, of course, but it's a safe bet that one will be on shelves this holiday anyway. Riccitiello wants DICE's shooter to take it out and spawn-camp it:

[blockquote]"[Battlefield 3] is designed to take that game down. If you're looking for a battle of the titans, a Red Sox versus Yankees, if you're trying to understand if it's Microsoft versus Google and what the tip-off point is for this holiday season - this is it."[/blockquote]

EA is prepared to put its money where its mouth is, too, said Riccitiello, claiming that there will be a "couple of hundred million dollars of marketing" between the two games" going head-to-head. "[We] think we've got the better product. It's going to be a blast."

To speak frankly for a moment, this really doesn't fill me with hope. DICE is a great studio that has turned out some of the best shooters ever made - there's no denying that Battlefield definitely has the chops to go head-to-head with Call of Duty: The Next One. But making a product specifically tailored to beat a competitor just seems like a poor decision to me, and we all saw how well it worked for Medal of Honor.

Shouldn't you try to make a game that you think is good, with design that you can believe in on its own, rather than trying to ape and surpass your competitor? If gamers want a game like Call of Duty, they'll play Call of Duty, not an imitator. DICE (and EA's money) would be much better served making a game that's wholly Battlefield, not Battlefield 3: Call of Duty Edition.

But maybe that's just me.

(GI.biz [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2011-04-07-riccitiello-hails-bf-cod-battle-of-the-titans])

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
gigastar said:

Isnt that what they said with the Medal of Honor reboot?
Yes, someone beat you to it. And by a fair time scale too.

In fact it was up literally 24 hours ago (at time of posting).

RabbiiFrystofsk

Oct 10, 2010
Personally i'd rather they didn't put so much emphasis on trying to 'fight' COD more try and show itself as far superior shooter on its own morals.
I first experienced Battlefield through Bad Company 2 and i've tried to play COD games again but it just doesn't do it for me anymore. Once you've played Battlefield and experienced all that can be done you just can't go back to simply shooting the same gun at the same person over and over again following the same path. You want to be the one who clinches that tank kill or tracer dart that buggeringly annoying Apache or throw a motion mine and get a buttload of assist points or clinch that +375 marksman bonus sniper shot from the other end of Harvest Day.
Battlefield SHOULD take COD down, but only for the right reasons.

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011
Didn't he say the same thing about the last Medal of Honor, and didn't it fail to come anywhere close to beating Call of Duty?

He's being competitive in a jovial sort of way, so I suppose that's... something. But honestly, unless you're ready to bow down to Activision if they beat you, don't go pulling a Rex Ryan, Johny boy.

I hate what the modern warfare combat evolved of honor shooter genre has become, so color me uninterested either way.

luckycharms8282

Mar 28, 2009
EA is trying to build up as much hype as they can. The big cheeses at the head of EA know that, even if they dont topple cod in sales, their profits will still be high. I honestly dont believe battlefield will beat cod anytime time soon, and certainly not this holiday season.

Im starting to become a little worried about mw3. Here's to hoping they announce it at E3.

Furism

Sep 10, 2009
"It's a game that did $400 million in revenue on day one."

When this is your justification for creating games, you already lost.

silverbullet1989

Jun 7, 2009
people buy the next cod year in year out then complain like hell about it been a clone of the last game with a handful of different weapons and maps, then they complain like hell about the cost of the dlc for it... stop bloody buying the games! sorry rant over...

I like that Dice are finally using the C-word ;) but come on, battlefield 3 isnt gonna make a dent in the console market wen the next cod game comes out but i recon they could beat it on the pc by a long shot...

jsnfloyd

Mar 24, 2011
Prediction: Battlefield 3 will offer many of the same weapons, armaments, and vehicles as BFBC2.

So, why buy it if it will offer the same experiences as the last installment?

JS ibanez

Jan 12, 2010
The fighting talk itself is part of their advertising. Im not sure if it will win though. COD is just a more individual fast paces game which appeals to short attention spans and KDR strokers.

I agree with the hope that they just concentrate on making it battlefield.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Would that be in the same way Killzone was designed to "take down" Halo?

Buccura

Aug 13, 2009
No matter how much better Battlefield 3 will be than the next Call of Duty, it ain't happening.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Generally people not directly involved in a games development are idiots... EA CEO's are an elite pedigree in this regard.

As long as Dice are given free reign over the development without this kind of corporate influence lighting fires under their asses, then BF3 will be a great game.

That said, beating cod isn't as much making a great game... its setting a new trend. Which I doubt it will.

Feb 19, 2010
jsnfloyd said:
Prediction: Battlefield 3 will offer many of the same weapons, armaments, and vehicles as BFBC2.

it has a huey. thats one new thing :p

Apr 28, 2008
Yeah, it will fail. Bad Company didn't take the crown. Medal of Honor didn't take the crown. This won't take the crown.

Your just digging yourself a giant-ass hole. And now I'm worried the quality of Battlefield will suffer. Do you know how Call of Duty 4 stole "most profitable shooter" title from Halo? They did something COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from Halo. Your not going to win by offering an experience thats just like the competition. You idiots.

jsnfloyd

Mar 24, 2011
NAHTZEE said:
jsnfloyd said:

it has a huey. thats one new thing :p
BFBC 2 had Huey's.

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
Why? The games are entirely different. It'd be as though Paradox announced that the next EU is designed to take down the Total War series.

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
RT-Medic-with-shotgun said:
it will beat CoD by being more call of dutier than Cod could EVER be.

1. They said this about medal of honor, BF2, and BF 2 Vietnam
2. They abandonment BF 2142,(hate the fuckers for that) after they claimed to stick with it
3. They abandoned BF2 after they claimed they would support it
4. EA CEO's are a special kind of stupid when it comes to CEOs. Usually the stupidity of a CEO is circumvented in a minor fashion because they know something about their companies field. EA cannot say that because they know NOTHING about games except that their games are the best EVAR!
5. EA screws up most of what it touches through marketing, trying to boost its income(because it was not making the CEOs enough money or outrunning warcraft)
Oh! Someone who also knows what they've done to BF2142 and BF2! I've been in the modding scene for BF2142 and it was a huge mess I can tell you that. DICE promised modding tools for 2142.. and all we were left with were promises.