Official Portal 2 Comic Reveals Truth About Cake

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Official Portal 2 Comic Reveals Truth About Cake

Valve has created an official Portal 2 comic to expand on a mystery character and possibly reveal if the cake was really a lie.

To bridge the story gap between Powers [http://www.amazon.com/Orange-Box-Pc/dp/B000PS2XES/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1302194185&sr=8-4] co-creator Michael Avon Oeming. For Portal fans, it's going to be a must read.

Oeming told IGN Comics he worked on the book with a team of Valve superstars such as Portal co-writers Erik Wolpaw and Chet Faliszek to make it an important part of the Portal 2 narrative. He's already been working at the company for years on projects such as Valve's previously released comics [http://www.amazon.com/Left-4-Dead-2-Xbox-360/dp/B002BRZ852/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1302194217&sr=1-1].

According to Oeming, the Portal 2 comic will "truly expand the Portal world." He says it "fills the gap between the first and second game, while introducing a much-rumored yet never seen character."

It'll also detail a little bit of Aperture Science's past, though Oeming says that it won't reveal GLaDOS's last name or anything. Chell (the player in Portal) is called a "storytelling device" rather than a main character, so we may not learn too much about her either.

Most incredibly, the Portal 2 comic may finally reveal the truth about that damned Portal cake that nobody will ever stop talking about, though it might not be easy to find. Oeming says: "Yes, we hid the truth about cake pretty deep in the story. If anyone finds it, be sure to go out and have some fun, it means you have too much time on your hands!"

A six-page preview indicates that the comic will follow Portal's Ratman, or Doug Rattman, presumed to be a former Aperture Science employee that was stuck in GLaDOS's test chambers before Chell. Rattman is the one responsible for the messages and hints scribbled all over Portal's walls.

[gallery=187]

Part 1 of the Portal 2 comic will be released on April 8, 2011. Keep an eye out for potatoes [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108965-Portals-GlaDOS-Invades-Steam-With-Potato-Related-ARG] too.

Source: IGN preview [http://comics.ign.com/articles/116/1160119p1.html]

CosmicCommander

Friendly Neighborhood Troll?
Apr 11, 2009
I hate it when comics adopt that "Hey let's be artsy by drawing everywhere and make it look like the artists had seizures while doing their work" thing.

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
The title should be "Official Portal 2 Comic Reveals Truth About Dead Horse"

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Though the idea of a comic explaining some stuff is nice, some of the pictures are a bit disturbing, especially the face of the guy.

Still, I'd love to read it.

Numachuka

Sep 3, 2010
I'm glad they decided to expand more on Ratman. This comic looks like is going to be awesome. Damn Valve, how you so good.

luckycharms8282

Mar 28, 2009
Hmmm...as far as portal 2 goes, I would love to play it. I dont think it's worth the sixty dollar price tag, tho. GRgh, I may just watch a playthrough on youtube and save some money.

ronald1840

Oct 4, 2010
Oh come on guys, have faith in Valve :)
Its not its getting a film adaptation from M Night Shamalan or anything.

Prince Regent

Dec 9, 2007
Ze fuss did I just read??

Though I liked the chaotic style, I think ill just stick to te portal games.

shado_temple

Oct 20, 2010
luckycharms8282 said:
Hmmm...as far as portal 2 goes, I would love to play it. I dont think it's worth the sixty dollar price tag, tho. GRgh, I may just watch a playthrough on youtube and save some money.
That's why you preorder it on Steam for $45.

subject_87

Jul 2, 2010
luckycharms8282 said:
It's just $50 on Steam, $45 if you pre-order.

OT: Well, this'll definitely be an interesting addition to the maddeningly apocryphal backstory of Portal, and I'll definitely be reading it.
CosmicCommander said:
I hate it when comics adopt that "Hey let's be artsy by drawing everywhere and make it look like the artists had seizures while doing their work" thing.
Well, to each their own, I suppose.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
CosmicCommander said:
It's not like it's supposed to show off that the character's point of view is distorted or anything... IT'S ART FOR ART'S SAKE, OBVIOUSLY!

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
I love that artstyle. Marvel/DC American style works fine for superheroes and such, but a chaotic or even psycho-neurotic story like this demands some more 'dirty' line, just as Neil Gaiman's sandman wouldn't exactly have the same effect if it was drawn like just yet another action piece.

Can't wait to see more.

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
luckycharms8282 said:
Sixty dollars?

I only paid £27 for my pre-order. That's about 44$.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
luckycharms8282 said:
$60?
WOW you yanks are unlucky, £32 here in the UK :p

And those pictures, however good they are are going to give me nighmarers for months.

Jordi

Jun 6, 2009
Can someone tell me why "the cake" is such a mystery? It was clearly shown at the end of Portal. You got the cake. It wasn't a lie. It was resolved. What's the mystery?

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
CosmicCommander said:
Ugh. It's the same artist who did Silent Hill: Dying Inside, isn't it? It makes me terribly, terribly sad that Valve had the poor taste to sponsor this...

Piotr621

Jan 6, 2009
imnotparanoid said:
luckycharms8282 said:
$60?
WOW you yanks are unlucky, £32 here in the UK :p

And those pictures, however good they are are going to give me nighmarers for months.
Retailers in Australia have it for $110 AUS on consoles and $80 AUS on PC. Which is why I went 'screw you' and pre purchased for $45 on Steam. Fortuneately Valve don't pull the bullshit that games are priced differently based on region.