Mojang Finally Sets Minecraft Release Date

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Mojang Finally Sets Minecraft Release Date

Mojang has joined the big boys by setting a holiday 2011 release date for the final version of Minecraft.

The holiday season of 2011 is going to be a big one for gaming. Already scheduled are the release dates for titles such as Minecraft [http://www.amazon.com/Elder-Scrolls-V-Skyrim-Pc/dp/B004HYIAPM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1302276954&sr=8-3].

If you're confused, I'll be happy to explain. Markus "Notch" Persson began selling Minecraft in its alpha phase (at a discount) and has constantly been updating it since with new features such as moved to beta [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104626-Minecrafts-Deadly-New-Ghasts-Will-Burn-You] on December 20, 2010.

On November 11, 2011, Minecraft will be released in its final form. Theoretically, anyway. Notch writes on his blog that Mojang will continue to update Minecraft just as it always has. He says the full version "won't be very different at all from what the game was like a week ago." The date is more of a milestone so that Mojang can work towards implementing more integral features, such as an achievement-like quest system [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108054-Notch-Pondering-Achievements-for-Minecraft]. Presumably, the game will also be raised to full price.

The unofficial tagline for Minecraft's release is "us too." November 11 was actually chosen because it's so close to other videogame and movie release dates. Minecraft has already made its bones [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109044-Minecraft-Sales-Figures-Reveal-33-Million-in-Diamonds], and is only sold digitally, so Mojang could really go "full version" with the game anytime it wanted to and not have it be in conflict with the rest of the industry. While Notch is downplaying the significance of the date, I'd be surprised if there isn't something special waiting for Minecraft players on November 11.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
As long as it has a quest/story/objective system implemented at launch I'll be happy.

(I'm quite happy with it as it is right now but I don't think he can rightfully call this a full release version without that being included)

I suspect on 11-11-11 I'll be playing Skyrim, not the latest version of Minecraft, but I'll have plenty of Minecraft hours logged between now and then. :)

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
Well I'll be bamboozled. I guess by now Holiday 2011 is pretty much all mapped out for nearly every gamer demographic in existance, huh? Well...maybe not strategy game enthusiasts but eh...

"us too" is a great tagline btw heheh.

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
It will be nice having a hard copy.
Yes I already own the game but I do loves me the hard copy when it comes to great games that deserve memorabilia.

I think they need to take one excellent user mod every 6mo and make it a setting in the game.

SomethingUnrelated

Aug 29, 2009
I'm sorry, but my allegiance lies with another game for that release date. Still, I'm likely to look Minecraft up afterwards.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Too much stuff this fall...It's almost as bad as 2008's bloated October/November.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Interesting. I'm still not touching it, but I like to see how well it does considering the time its going to be released.

CosmicCommander

Friendly Neighborhood Troll?
Apr 11, 2009
Why are Bethesda and Mojang being so callous as to release Skyrim and Minecraft on Remembrance Day?

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
CosmicCommander said:
Why are Bethesda and Mojang being so callous as to release Skyrim and Minecraft on Remembrance Day?
Why not? Is there a law against releasing a product on Nov 11?

I can always just turn the volume down for a minute.

CosmicCommander

Friendly Neighborhood Troll?
Apr 11, 2009
Zhukov said:
Why not? Is there a law against releasing a product on Nov 11?

I can always just turn the volume down for a minute.
I just thought it should be a day dedicated to frugality and dignity to those lives lost. I'm not saying that they should be stopped from selling it, I just think they should show some respect. Seeing as it's a day to remember the dead, selling a product for leisure seems... Kinda iffy.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
CosmicCommander said:
What is this remembrance day you speak of?

Anyway, as a poster above me said, I'll be playing Skyrim that day.
But I reckon I'll have logged more than a few hours in Minecraft by then.

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
would anyone be offended if I said I wanted to wait for a console version.

WyndWalker02

Jul 10, 2010
If nothing else, I'd point out that Notch and the rest of Mojang are in and from Sweden, so the American "Remembrance Day" (never heard it called that, btw) probably has little resonance with them. I imagine they went with the date simply because so many other companies are as well.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
CosmicCommander said:
fenrizz said:
What is this remembrance day you speak of?
The day the people of the former British Empire/modern Commonwealth remember the soldiers who died during and since the First World War. Many tend to observe a one minute silence during the day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remembrance_Day
Ah, thank you.
I have heard of this before, but never knew what it was about.

I guess it is not so common where I am from.

Ickabod

May 29, 2008
i think that they all picked 11/11/11 because it looks cool, and its an easy day to remember.

EllEzDee

Nov 29, 2010
Wait, it's almost finished? In that piece of shit state? There's literally nothing worth doing in the game. I figured they'd add something worthwhile first...it's just Garry's Mod with less to do and more repetition.