Oregonian Lawmakers Rickroll the Legislature

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Oregonian Lawmakers Rickroll the Legislature

These members of the Oregon House of Representatives are never going to give their constituents up, let them down, run around or desert them.

Watch the video you see here to the right. Go on, watch it - I can wait right here. I'm in no hurry, after all. Stop reading ahead in the article and watch it already!

Did you watch it? Okay, good. As you may have noticed, this is perhaps the most elaborate political prank - and almost certainly one of the most elaborate internet memes - ever created: the Oregon State House of Representatives reciting Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up," line by line, one at a time.

It isn't a fake, either - the people speaking are real lawmakers in Oregon instead of actors, and they haven't been overdubbed or edited at all, swears Jefferson Smith (D), member of the Oregon House and the prank's mastermind. As Smith tells Yahoo Ticket [http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_theticket/20110408/ts_yblog_theticket/how-one-oregon-lawmaker-convinced-his-colleagues-to-rick-roll-the-state-legislature], the idea for the prank came to him last year as a way to lighten the mood among his colleagues in an increasingly divided and partisan political atmosphere.

"What if we were to Rick Roll the legislature without anybody noticing?" Smith says he mused to his wife Katy as they were preparing for bed. Putting the prank together, on the other hand, was a bit trickier. Most of Smith's colleagues - an even split with 30 Democrats and 30 Republicans - knew of Rick Astley's 1987 hit, and some of them were even familiar with the concept of the "Rickroll." Still, convincing them to go along with the joke was easier than expected, says Smith.

The hard part was the organization. Not only did the mass Rickroll have to take place during a normal floor session of the house, where representatives' speeches are videotaped for public records, but the lines had to be divvied out accordingly and spaced far enough so people wouldn't catch on to the joke.

And, of course, the lines had to make sense in the context of the lawmakers' speeches. "There are some easy lines in there to say without getting noticed. 'You're never gonna' is easy. 'I just wanna tell you how I'm feeling' is easy. But an 'ooh?' That's tricky," admitted Smith.

In the end, only one of the legislators chickened out, while another - who wasn't in on the joke - accidentally said part of the lyrics on tape. This was all done during a February 2010 session, and the next year and two months was spent digging out the lines in hours of footage and editing them together - and don't worry, Smith says that none of it was done on taxpayers' money.

The video was posted to YouTube on April 1st, 2011, and quickly went viral, with some questioning its legitimacy.

"It was real, and it was really awesome," says Smith. "Democracy is a glorious thing."

(Yahoo Ticket [http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_theticket/20110408/ts_yblog_theticket/how-one-oregon-lawmaker-convinced-his-colleagues-to-rick-roll-the-state-legislature])

Gerhardt

May 21, 2010
I suddenly filled with a strange and alien feeling.... Could it quite possibly be... Patriotism? For the first time ever, I think... I think I'm proud of my country.

Dragonborne88

Oct 26, 2009
Ah, the joys of getting internet savvy politicians. This is pretty awesome, well done on integrating it so well that nobody caught on as well!

Lizmichi

Detective Prince
Jul 2, 2009
God I love being an Oregonian right now. God if I was in Salem at that time I would have cracked up. Epic win Oregon epic win.

Bre2nan

Nov 18, 2010
OREGON!!! Yeah, it's nice to have my state get some notoriety for something else other than some stupid tourists getting lost in the woods.

There were a lot of people complaining about this on Yahoo: "Why are they doing this? don't they have work to be doing? tax dollars going to waste! Politicians are overpaid. Obama is EVIL!!! WE HATE FUN!!!" Well, they did say that no tax dollars were spent in the making of this little prank, it took barely as much time as a coffee break to get over with, and all the bills discussed on the floor were passed.

If anything, they were MORE productive when Rick-Rolling themselves. Choke on that, retarded Yahoo political trolls!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
People old enough to be my parents using internet slang? I'd say it was proof it wasn't funny anymore, but it was never funny, so....

koroem

Jul 12, 2010
Another example of how tax payers money is wasted, and this country continues to coast downhill. While its funny, it also paints a grim picture....

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
koroem said:
Another example of how tax payers money is wasted, and this country continues to coast downhill. While its funny, it also paints a grim picture....
Obvious troll is obvious. Or did not watch the video, read the article, or the comments.

OT: I'm relieved to see that some people in government haven't started taking themselves too seriously to act like human beings. Good for them.

Bob the frantic

Sep 5, 2009
Politicians making a joke AND passing bills? If this trend catches on, America may actually be able to get something done. Great work

Lightslei

Feb 18, 2010
Bob the frantic said:
Politicians making a joke AND passing bills? If this trend catches on, America may actually be able to get something done. Great work
Honestly, if we go by the logic created by this video:

Politicians having fun = More Work Getting Done.

I don't know how that works out mathematically, but I'll accept it.