Fallout Mod Features Devastated Japanese Power Plant

Garrett Grothe

Feb 18, 2011
Fallout Mod Features Devastated Japanese Power Plant

A member of the Fallout mod community has recreated the haunting current state of Japan's Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant within the wastelands of Fallout 3.

Appearing on the Fallout 3 mod community, Fallout 3 Nexus, the mod allows players to enter the power plant in Japan recently compromised by the devastating KOBJ [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Sendai_earthquake_and_tsunami], claims in the description that "this is not to mock the earthquake."

KOBJ has created various other mods for Fallout 3, including tweaks as harmless as Budweiser labels and custom glasses. KOBJ's description of the mod gives a little insight into reasoning behind the creation of the Fukushima Power Plant mod:

Though there is variously reason to make this
It doesn't write because it becomes a political comment.
This is not to mock the earthquake has not made.
I mean it is not.
Please guess the meaning Tenpenny Tower.

Explanation was requested from several, I write though I do not want to write so much.
1.When news was seen,recruited it by the nuclear power plant worker hourly wage 200,000 yen(2,378 USD).
2.However, it is impossible to work for one hour because there are a lot of radiations.
3.Money can be gotten only at the time that worked naturally.3333 yen/min(39 usd/min)
4.But When exposed to radiation, The stem cell treatment expense 200,000 yen(2,378 USD) is a portion of medical expense to be paid individually.
Information source(JP)
http://www.news-postseven.com/archives/20110331_16128.html
http://sankei.jp.msn.com/life/news/110329/bdy11032923310004-n1.htm

The question quickly becomes whether or not this mod has been created too soon, as only a month's time has elapsed since the beginning of Japan's woes.

The Fallout 3 mod community is sounding off with mixed reactions gamers in Japan [http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php?showtopic=319319]. As more Fallout fans catch wind of the mod, it will be interesting to see various fan reactions.

Source: Kotaku [http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=15954]

Apr 28, 2008
Seems its just for exploration purposes. Don't really see the harm in that. I'd download it myself, but I uninstalled Fallout 3 a while ago and don't plan on re-installing.

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
Well some people mourn the lost, some people are pricks and trolls, others actually try to help.
Then there's the oddball who's first idea is to make a mod about it.

Awesome.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
"Huh, that seems pretty cool..."

That is what I would probably have said several months before... now it seems to be to soon.

Zechnophobe

Feb 4, 2010
In regards to 'too soon' I would say it is fine. As much as the plant there is going to take a bit of time to work out, the real disaster of Japan was not the nuclear plant. If it was like, a Tsunami mod, or something, I'd be a lot more inclined to say it was a bit too strong of a reminder of bad things.

As it is, I think it is reasonable, especially since it could even be a bit educational.

bushwhacker2k

Jan 27, 2009
If it's based around the actual experience and what happens in such situations then it seems more like it'd be educational than entertaining (I mean that in a good way, as to not make light of people's deaths), and as such I'd approve of that.

Meestor Pickle

Jul 29, 2010
HankMan said:
If you're just exploring, I see no harm.
KOBJ needs to learn to write.
I doubt english is KOBJs first language.

I dont see any problem in this, its just for explorational purposes

wrecker77

May 31, 2008
Its not like it blows up or anything. It doesn't sound like it even features the devastation of the earthquake or tsunami. I see no harm in it.

CommanderKirov

Oct 3, 2010
No it's not too soon.

What would be too soon, if he would have filled the whole plant wth either the Chineese ghouls or Military forces and half submerged in water.

Fuselage

Nov 18, 2009
This isn't as bad as some other mods I've seen...
*Rape a ghoul, get to level 50!*

Grospoliner

Feb 16, 2010
No one has died from the nuclear accident. Why would it even be an issue? It would be more insensitive to reconstruct Fukushima Prefecture in its devastated state. Hell 5 years after the WTC attacks they made a frigging movie about it (which was terrible btw). Some people enjoy learning about the world around them regardless of circumstances. How better to contextualize it than in a game centered (loosely) around nuclear physics.

IndianaJonny

Mysteron Display Team
Jan 6, 2011
bushwhacker2k said:
If it's based around the actual experience and what happens in such situations then it seems more like it'd be educational than entertaining (I mean that in a good way, as to not make light of people's deaths), and as such I'd approve of that.
I'd like to second bushwhacker2k's comment here. It's a similar question of taste to that surrounding the Six Days in Fallujah incident; is it an obscene, revelling in people's misery or a chance to open an player's mind to the experiences of others?

SemiHumanTarget

Apr 4, 2011
Too soon, and the guy's logic, if you can call it that, is misleading. According to the Japanese articles he provided, the workers are getting paid around 2,500 USD a day, regardless of if they actually do anything on a given day. And also, the stem cell therapy he's talking about is optional and non-essential - basically a handful of doctors in Japan have moved in to more or less profit off of these guys, which is sad, but really the workers are not being exposed to enough radiation to make stem cell therapy a necessity. Their medical expenses otherwise are being paid by TEPCO.

Also, thought I'd clear up some of the ignorant comments here:

@Grospoliner, actually two plant workers died in one of the hydrogen explosions. In fact, they were some of the youngest workers there, 21 and 24. This is not to mention the billions upon billions of dollars of lost business for farmers and fisherman in several Prefectures whose hauls have been contaminated, and the lost livelihoods of literally everyone inside of the evacuation zone.

@wrecker77, you're right, because 3 of the 6 reactors already did blow up. Based on the screen shot here, the reactors are in a post-explosion state. Those hydrogen explosions sent plumes of radiation that were so strong, for a short period of time standing outside in Tokyo for an hour would have exposed you to a year's worth of radiation.

I know all this because I live in Tokyo, and the sheer panic and uncertainty experienced by us here, even living 150 miles away from the reactors, was enough to give us all a strong distaste for this kind of thing.

And I might also mention that while, yes, we are about a month removed from the accident, the threat of further catastrophe persists. Just yesterday, Miyagi Prefecture was hit by another massive earthquake that triggered a tsunami warning for the same regions hit in the first place. This is not the last earthquake that will happen, as the tectonic plates attempt to return to their original position, and it isn't unforeseeable that one of those future quakes will trigger another tsunami that knocks out that power plant for good and really causes some trouble.

So, while I don't think anybody should have made any movies about 9/11, even after 5 years, you can't make the same comparison here, because the situation is still disastrously dangerous. On the other hand, for lack of a more eloquent way of putting it, 9/11 was a one-off.

impcnrd

Nov 28, 2009
there is no such thing as "Too Soon". i refuse the accept that as any excuse to hate something because its based off of something bad that happened. in fact, things like this raise awareness of shit like the earth quake.... plus i called this one the day that earthquake happened

SemiHumanTarget

Apr 4, 2011
How would you feel if several of your family members died in a tsunami, you lost your house and all of your possessions, and your family business, which provided all of your income, was reduced to nothing, and you couldn't even apply for a new job if you wanted to because the several hundred thousand people around you are also out of work and there's no jobs to go around, and then someone made a video game about it, except that there wasn't even any way to win in the game, the whole point was for people to just stroll around and admire the ruins of your life? And this video game came out less than 30 days after all that happened?

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
SemiHumanTarget said:
[..]and then someone made a video game about it, except that there wasn't even any way to win in the game
Except he didnt make a game about the tsunami or the earthquake, hes just recreated the powerplant and if you read his explanation hes pointing out that workers are having to work in these conditions and all hes doing is trying to highlight to others just how terrible it is.

Seriously, out of all those who've responded to this thread how many actually bothered to read it beyond the title?