EVE Online Devs Revealing New Game at GDC Euro

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
EVE Online Devs Revealing New Game at GDC Euro

Hilmar Petursson, boss of EVE Online developer CCP, will be delivering the keynote address at the upcoming GDC Europe in August, during which he will unveil the studio's newest project.

Petursson, who has been with the Reykjavik-based company since 2000, will be speaking about his company's growth from a team of 30 people to more than 300 current employees in a presentation titled "CCP: Winning the War." CCP's growth has been closely tied to the success of its cutthroat spacefaring MMO EVE Online, which reached 300,000 subscribers in May.

Rather than continuing to tie their fortunes solely to the success of EVE, though, CCP plans to branch out - and Petursson will be using the opportunity to formally lift the veil off of their new project, reports Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=23985]. As for what the project is? Well, that's anyone's best guess.

So, in the absence of any information beyond "Hey, it exists and will be revealed at GDC Europe," let's wildly speculate. It might well be another MMO, as that seems to be CCP's area of expertise. If so, the question would be if it would be a "single-shard" MMO, where all the players are in one massive world (a la EVE), or a more traditional "multi-shard" game with players sectioned off server by server.

If an MMO, I'd be inclined to guess the latter. I can't really imagine any way to do a single-shard game without having a nigh-infinite amount of room... which would almost certainly require a sci-fi space setting, and CCP wouldn't risk crowding itself out of the market like that. So if it's an MMO, I'd expect a more traditional multi-shard game, though it's hard to see the off-the-beaten-path-and-proud-of-it CCP making a fantasy swords n' sorcery game like everyone else.

What I can see is CCP taking pride in its Icelandic heritage (as it has been known to do in the past). Come on, admit it: A Vikings Online game would be totally badass.

Either way, we'll know when GDC Europe kicks off this August, in Leipzig, Germany.

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
Hopefully their new game will be a bit more approachable than EvE. Regardless though it'll still probably be pretty cool.

Avernus

Jun 10, 2009
Safe money says it will be based upon World of Darkness; they've had a partnership for a couple of years with White Wolf already, and it's likely that CCP's ambulation technology in development will be used towards this new IP.

Edit: Just remembered that CCP also showed off a very brief clip at their fanfest last year, of a Eve Online based shooter, very likely console based since they are looking at branching into that area. I would expect it to be on PC as well considering their expertise in the area.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
CCCP? I guess it'll be about the Red Army.

No? Okay, then I want Viking Online. Pretty please? With Norse mythology, kickass fights and so on.

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
Almost definitely gonna be New World of Darkness (Vampire: the Requiem, Mage: the Awakening etc.)

If not, it'll be an EVE spinoff.

Femaref

May 4, 2008
Will be the WoD I guess, that topic is going through the community since the contract with White Wolf was signed some 2 odd years ago.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
As long as it spawns no internet preachers yelling insults at me for playing another game i'm happy.

Voodoomancer

Jun 8, 2009
Avernus said:
Just remembered that CCP also showed off a very brief clip at their fanfest last year, of a Eve Online based shooter, very likely console based since they are looking at branching into that area. I would expect it to be on PC as well considering their expertise in the area.
I understand that the clip was shown accidentally, when it started playing, another guy ran up and promptly turned it off, but they are doing something.

But their next game will most likely be a WoD game (vampires and werewolfs, yay)

Although I'd like an EVE RTS, but now I'm just fantasizing...

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
I hear it's an all text based MMO that's a spin off of dwarf fortress and contains a highly advanced simulation involving yogurt bacterial cultures, the big bang and griefing.

The yet to be officially announced slogan for the game is "Beyond graphics, beyond space, there is only MUD(mjög uppbygging dreifð)."

Avernus

Jun 10, 2009
Voodoomancer said:
Avernus said:
Just remembered that CCP also showed off a very brief clip at their fanfest last year, of a Eve Online based shooter, very likely console based since they are looking at branching into that area. I would expect it to be on PC as well considering their expertise in the area.
I understand that the clip was shown accidentally, when it started playing, another guy ran up and promptly turned it off, but they are doing something.

But their next game will most likely be a WoD game (vampires and werewolfs, yay)

Although I'd like an EVE RTS, but now I'm just fantasizing...
I think it was shown on purpose, the dev Oveur (Nathan), is usually the guy who gets to drop little bombs like that during fanfests, he's very popular with their community. I stopped playing just a few months ago, but was very involved with Eve for 6 years since the launch.

With the amount of backstory and development in Eve, it would be very easy to do numerous projects related to it, like your suggested RTS. For me a 4x strategy game like Master of Orion seems like a natural shoe-in.

Sigenrecht

Mar 17, 2008
It's Dwarf Fortress 2. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise, and if they ask why Bay 12 Games isn't publishing it, it's because CCP murdered them all over a question of ability and Norse honor.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Avernus said:
Safe money says it will be based upon World of Darkness; they've had a partnership for a couple of years with White Wolf already, and it's likely that CCP's ambulation technology in development will be used towards this new IP.

Edit: Just remembered that CCP also showed off a very brief clip at their fanfest last year, of a Eve Online based shooter, very likely console based since they are looking at branching into that area. I would expect it to be on PC as well considering their expertise in the area.
This. I'm hoping it is.

crazykinux

Jul 11, 2006
Avernus said:
I recently wrote a post on the possibility of an EVE Online FPS shooter, and included a video I took during their presentation, which showed part of the video they showed at Fanfest 2008!

Friday Video: Is an EVE Online FPS about to be announced?
http://www.crazykinux.com/2009/06/friday-video-is-eve-online-fps-about-to.html

Enjoy!