Videogame Music Takes Leap Toward Grammy Recognition

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Videogame Music Takes Leap Toward Grammy Recognition

Four Grammy awards have been amended to encourage submissions from the video game industry.

The current generation's videogame soundtracks often result from the same compositional and orchestral work as their television and movie counterparts, but they haven't typically been recognized as such. This may change with the future of the Grammy Awards, as The Recording Academy has seen fit to specifically add videogames to the descriptions of four awards.

Funnily enough, a videogame song actually won at the 53rd Grammy Awards which took place in February 2011. However, it was a Civilization IV [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107737-Videogame-Music-Secretly-Wins-First-Grammy].

The win may have made The Recording Academy reconsider what types of submissions should be accepted for the Grammys. Recording Academy awards vice president Bill Freimuth told IndustryGamers: "I think this could be viewed as a first step in the direction of video games getting their own category. Many people from the game community have been asking us to create a special category for games over the years, but the main reason we haven't is because we have received very few entries from game publishers."

The descriptors for "Best Music for Visual Media," "Best Compilation Soundtrack for Visual Media," "Best Score Soundtrack for Visual Media," and "Best Song Written for Visual Media" were altered from "Motion, Television, or Other Visual Media" to "Motion, Television, Video Game Music, or Other Visual Media." Worldwide executive of music at Electronic Arts Steve Schnur says the change "acknowledges that film, TV and games can stand side by side and be independently recognized," and he predicts the academy will receive many new videogame music submissions in the coming years.

Schnur also believes that the change is a move to recognize the evolving Grammy audience. Inon Zur, a composer on dozens of prominent videogames such as Dragon Age: Origins [http://www.amazon.com/Fallout-New-Vegas-Pc/dp/B002SU4QG4/ref=sr_1_3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1302408230&sr=1-3], hopes Grammy recognition will help videogame music gain respect from the "mainstream audience."

We may not see a videogame music winner right away, but change has to start somewhere. Up the road, videogame composers will likely be recognized as highly as those working in film and television.

Source: IndustryGamers [http://www.industrygamers.com/news/video-game-grammy-sounds-like-it-exclusive/]

Traun

Jan 31, 2009
Well this is good.
What music would the Escapist userbase nominate?

LGC Pominator

Feb 11, 2009
Traun said:
Well this is good.
Off of the top of my head?

Marty O Donnell (halo)

Jesper Kyd (Kane and Lynch / hitman)

Jeremy Soule (guild wars)

Breaking benjamin (just for the halo 2 Blow me away track, that is so freakin cool!)

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Traun said:
Well this is good.
Shadow of the Collosus OST is sublime;

And you can never go wrong with Katamari either :D;

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
There's something I don't like about this. I can't quite figure out what it is.

On the one hand, great - game music is finally being judged for its composition versus the fact that, well... the song was composed for a game and therefore "doesn't count".

However, this could be one more thing that'll turn some of us humble gamers further into a bunch of overly defensive, whiny, pretentious dickheads. Why do I say this? All anyone has to do is disagree with including a certain soundtrack, and watch the wildfires engulf everything in sight. Hell, anyone remember when word got out that ME3 was getting a different composer (not quite the same thing I know, but it's close enough)?

But I like DA2 and rap music, so what the fuck do I know?

Erm... sorry. ^^'

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
Very nice. I would like to have it recognized by the public that what I choose to listen to on a regular basis is beautiful music regardless of original context. As for the above question about what I would nominate: Tomas Dvorak (Machinarium and Samorost), Koh Ohtani (Shadow of the Colossus), Joe Hisaishi is putting together the soundtrack to the upcoming game affiliated with Studio Ghibli, so I would likely want to nominate that.

smartmoose

Genre Wars Winner
Feb 17, 2009
If I could make a prediction about a game in the next year I would want something from Portal 2 to win an award. From what I heard it should have some good music in it.

Tristessa

Mar 28, 2011
Nice to see another step toward the mass recognition of video games!

I'm sure a great deal of game music would be appreciated by many more fans, if they only got to hear it. Personally, I think Jesper Kyd's work is brilliant, especially the Assassin's Creed 2 soundtrack. Most notably, "Ezio's Family"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0i6YFrSs6c

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Hopefully Marty O' Donnel can add "Grammy award winning" to his resume when Bungie releases their new IP. Man is a genius when it comes to writing music.

I dunno, someone like Nobuo Uematsu is a legend to videogames but he'll have to do something more recent in order to be put up for consideration.
Tristessa said:
Nice to see another step toward the mass recognition of video games!

I'm sure a great deal of game music would be appreciated by many more fans, if they only got to hear it. Personally, I think Jesper Kyd's work is brilliant, especially the Assassin's Creed 2 soundtrack. Most notably, "Ezio's Family"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0i6YFrSs6c
That would be a great nominee to. Stuff like "Brotherhood Escape" is one of the most epic chase themes I've heard in a while. Although that was from Brotherhood. I think its the same composer

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
If this actually works out, it'll put the Grammys ahead of the Oscars into the category of "things that might actually matter somewhat," for the simple reason of encouraging wider recognition and less genre snobbery.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Grammys are stupid and meaningless/Video Games are being nominated WOOO!!!!!!

That aside, this is good news simply because it is in the favour of spreading wonderful game music.