Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Pokemon 100 Percenters Are Mad

Yahtzee wants you to reward the sick bastards who must "catch 'em all."

Read Full Article

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
Good article. I've never really understood 100%ers. It often falls into that murky water of turning a game from fun into work. My rule is, if I'm not having fun, I'm not playing anymore. Unless there's rewards for going off the beaten track, I'm not bothering.

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
What a bizarre solution...
Anyway, I like pokemon a lot, but I've never done the 100% thing, it's a waste, and I have tons of fun just catching the ones that interest me.

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
I have a lot of games that I totally love, but not a single one of them will I actually go out of my way to get something after I've already beaten the game.

I actually felt ripped-off after having beaten Super Mario Galaxy just because I'd already beaten Bowser's last form and only got like half of the stars in the game. But I felt no incentive to keep playing 'cause I'd already beaten the last boss.

My problem is, though, that I always try to collect everything but then I stop once I beat the game or shortly after I beat the game and never look back.

hawk533

Dec 17, 2009
I got all 150 original pokemon when it was just Red and Blue by having both versions of the game and trading back and forth with myself. Once I realized that my only reward was a message from Professor Oak I never tried it again. I had hoped that maybe I would get Mew, the otherwise uncollectable pokemon.

I like doing things to 100% if it's a game I love and there's a reward for it. I collected all the flags in the first city of Assassin's Creed. Once I realized that I wouldn't be rewarded for it I gave up on collecting flags. I agree with you Yahtzee, getting 100% just for it's own sake is for mad people.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
I love playing the Pokemon games. But I never play to catch them all.

I only play to catch my favourites. Or the rare ones that you encounter through logical progression in the game.

Edit: The only games I 100%'d for fun were Fallout 3 and the Force Unleashed 1+2

ImBigBob

Dec 24, 2008
I think a lot of the desire to "catch 'em all" comes down to wanting to build a strong Pokemon team (and there's a surprising depth to the game). If you have them all, that basically means you have unlimited options for play, and it's a hell of a lot more satisfying raising a team by your own hands than entering a bunch of numbers in a Gameshark.

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
The funny thing about Zelda: OoT is that the creator specifically put an unbeatable challenge in the game just to cockslap 100 percenters. He apparently hates them.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
I completed the national dex (excluding a few of the mystery event pkmn that aren't required for the certificate) on Pokemon Platinum, I did so because I had the time (having long car trips on holiday) and also since I'd stopped using cheats recently at that point I wanted to prove to myself that I could catch 'em all without cheating, which I did. I'll probably never do it again but it was a good experience.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Come on... You've never just done something "because it's there"? ...before you answer: remember Minecraft.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Admittedly i would like to fill my Pokedex, but im in no hurry to do it, i like training my little Mons. And again...admittedly, i don't know why i have so much fun on them games, it's a game that should NOT work...but it does...if anyone else had developed this concept, it would be a total disaster.

But come on Yahtzee, don't tell us that your not playing this game right now...we all you know you are, and we all know you secretly love it ;)

Soon Yahtzee will want every single Pokemon, making him a 100%er ;)

My friend, you have sucked in to the world of Pokemon ;)

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
crudus said:
The funny thing about Zelda: OoT is that the creator specifically put an unbeatable challenge in the game just to cockslap 100 percenters. He apparently hates them.
Dare i ask what the challenge is?

I actually dread to think...

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Been playing the Sly Collection, which just so happens to contain the easiest platinum trophies ever. I got through Sly 1 and 2, which were an absolute joy and getting the trophies was a lot of fun. Granted, there really weren't any bonuses to be had, other than making a number outside of the game go up, but again, the game was fun anyways, so I didn't mind getting all the clues, pickpocketing coins, and buying specific abilities. Sly 3 on the other hand, is a different story. For some reason, the developers thought it would be a good idea to minimize the silky smooth and fun platforming with tons of completely different minigame-esque missions, many of which are frustrating and control like shit. The last level is terribly awful, adapting previously tolerable segments into abstract and repetitive ideas they don't fit into well, and somehow making the control even floatier.

I managed to get through the whole game, just to say that I did and get ever so closer to the strangely tantalizing idea of having all three platinums this disc has to offer. Then I found out that the only way you could get it in Sly 3 was 100% completion and the only way to get that was through the previously unmentioned master thief challenges. Guess what those are? The same damn broken minigames, only now you have to do them f-ing faster, with longer load times. Looks like platinum is not in my future. I could do it, but I really don't wanna. I'll watch the Sly 4 teaser trailer online, thank you. And if it has more Penelope or Dimitri segments, I'll keep my 60 dollars.

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
I 100 percented Final Fantasy 10.

Thing is I can't remember if I enjoyed doing so, I guess I must have blanked the trauma from my memory.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
I still play ruby version, it gives me a lot of joy to level pokémon to 100.

Capatcha: Relaxin?

Answer: Why yes I am :3

Little Duck

Diving Space Muffin
Oct 22, 2009
On a side note, last I checked, Rugby is the up and coming thing due to pricks like Rooney slowly killing football. Just an update from across ye ponds.

On topic. I always wondered why the series had never evolved. I was kind of hoping for something tales of symphonia battle style (let's see if he'll play this one). You'd only carry say 15 pokemon at the most and battles would consist of choosing just 3 of these pokemon. Not only would this stop the 100%, as they would more strategically have to choose their pokemon for specific areas, it would also mean greater battle variety as their opponent would have the same choice of up to 15 pokemon to choose from it's specific love affair.

The pokemon would also have greater variety, flying types like butterfree say, being able to hover away from diglett, then whaling down on him, forcing the player to switch to a pokemon which can fly or can shock it.

ProjectJAY

Apr 13, 2009
I'm actually having a lot of fun attempting to catch them all. I've played 170 hours of Pokemon White and I'm always looking forward to levelling up my team and trading with others every time I switch it off.

I guess that makes me mad...

*curls up into a ball and starts giggling madly*

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
2xDouble said:
Come on... You've never just done something "because it's there"? ...before you answer: remember Minecraft.
Well minecraft is comprised entirely of just doing stuff without any sort of requirement. It's more like if you lived in the pokemon and could gather them if you felt like it or just build a house and forge some swords.

OT: I 100%'d Final Fantasy X and killed Penance (it was Penance wasn't it?) and you literally got an item what said you beat Penance... from then on I was done with that bullshit.