Trine Headlines Third Humble Indie Bundle

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Trine Headlines Third Humble Indie Bundle

The third pay-what-you-want Humble Indie Bundle has become the Humble Frozenbyte Bundle with the inclusion of physics-based platformer Trine.

The hit $2 million [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100451-Get-Five-Great-Indie-Games-for-Any-Price-You-Want]. Those kinds of numbers cemented the bundle as an ongoing project, with a third Humble Indie Bundle now available.

Except this time, it's the Humble Frozenbyte Bundle. It includes five games from studio Frozenbyte, including physics-based platformer Trine [http://www.amazon.com/Trine-Pc/dp/B002I7KJ5O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302625688&sr=8-1]. The four other games include top-down shooter Shadowgrounds, its sequel Shadowgrounds: Survivor, Jack Claw, and Splot. Trine, Shadowgrounds, and Shadowgrounds Survivor currently retail for $29.99 on Steam, so getting to pay whatever you want for the trio is already a good deal.

Jack Claw is a prototype of a cancelled game, while Splot is an upcoming title Frozenbyte is currently working on. Jack Claw allows players to "juggle cars around like they were puppies," featuring a main character with a long, wiggly claw that can be used to demolish the environment. Splot looks like a cute... something, with concept art that shows off a one-eyed jelly monster, a monkey with a giant head, and a pirate with an ice-cream cone body. I'm baffled, but intrigued.

To purchase the bundle, head on over to the Humble Indie Bundle website [http://www.humblebundle.com/] and choose your price. That's right, choose your price. Your donation can be divided between Frozenbyte, the Electronic Frontier Foundation, Child's Play, and the Humble Indie Bundle organizers in any capacity you determine. All of the games are DRM free and some can be redeemed on Steam, OnLive, and Desura. It's a no brainer.

Thanks for the tip Arachon [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/ARACHON]!

Source: Humble Indie Bundle [http://www.humblebundle.com/]

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
It's strange. looking at the stats, Linux users paid more than double the price, on average, to users of other operating systems. I guess Linux users are more likely to support indie devs or something.

Arachon

Jun 23, 2008
Hey look, there's my name :D

I'm definitely getting this. Although Shadowgrounds doesn't really seem like my cup of tea, Trine is awesome, and anything for Linux makes me a happy bunny, and also charity.

Wuffykins

Jun 21, 2010
How fortuitous, I'd been looking at getting Trine lately and I've a few prepaid cards with some small balances I've been meaning to empty out. Sucks I'm going to bring down the average donation a bit (and stick them with multiple merchant fees), but at least the cash'll be doing something other than sitting around waiting to be absorbed. Now, to figure out who to gift the bundle to...

Also, question Mr. Goldman (if you'll pardon my nitpicking):
Tom Goldman said:
... some can be redeemed on Steam, OnLive, and Desura.
Which titles can be registered on Steam btw? As far as I'm aware none of the titles in the bundle are mentioned on Steam's list of Retail CD-keys they'll accept, or is there some mention of exception for the purpose of the bundle?

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
jack claw looks better than anything else in the bundle, ironically enough...
reminds me of prototype, honestly

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Wuffykins said:
How fortuitous, I'd been looking at getting Trine lately and I've a few prepaid cards with some small balances I've been meaning to empty out. Sucks I'm going to bring down the average donation a bit (and stick them with multiple merchant fees), but at least the cash'll be doing something other than sitting around waiting to be absorbed. Now, to figure out who to gift the bundle to...

Also, question Mr. Goldman (if you'll pardon my nitpicking):
Tom Goldman said:
... some can be redeemed on Steam, OnLive, and Desura.
Which titles can be registered on Steam btw? As far as I'm aware none of the titles in the bundle are mentioned on Steam's list of Retail CD-keys they'll accept, or is there some mention of exception for the purpose of the bundle?
Usually within a week or two they roll out and email you the key to redeem the whole bundle on steam. It's happened with both packs, so I wouldn't expect them to suddenly change their way of doing things.

Wuffykins

Jun 21, 2010
Rednog said:
Usually within a week or two they roll out and email you the key to redeem the whole bundle on steam. It's happened with both packs, so I wouldn't expect them to suddenly change their way of doing things.
Ahh, I was just coming back to edit as I did find out where it was mentioned. Thanks for the answer though, 'tis definitely what I wanted to hear!

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
I already own the already released games, but got this anyway with a nice tip.

Steam can be redeemed right now, at least I could (and got a message I had nothing to activate I did not already own :p)

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
razer17 said:
It's strange. looking at the stats, Linux users paid more than double the price, on average, to users of other operating systems. I guess Linux users are more likely to support indie devs or something.
Or they can't count. HEYO!

But seriously I sincerely doubt the only factor is using linux. It could just as easily that the people who use linux just happen to also have more money to spend at this point in time and in six months it will be the exact opposite.

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
manythings said:
razer17 said:

But seriously I sincerely doubt the only factor is using linux. It could just as easily that the people who use linux just happen to also have more money to spend at this point in time and in six months it will be the exact opposite.
It seems unlikely that it's just a pure chance factor, because double is pretty significant. Maybe it's because Linux has less games available, so they're grateful to devs who cater to them, or perhaps it's because Linux is free, and they have a little extra cash to spend because of it. Whatever the reason, I doubt it's chance.

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
manythings said:
razer17 said:

No, its just that linux users are starved for games that run on their chosen OS and will gladly pay more to encourage linux support.

Edit: Speaking from experience here.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
Just bought this.

Downloading it now, after associating them with Steam.

It's nice to be able to support indie devs like this.

KrazyKain

Jun 2, 2010
Bought every bundle so far, not about to stop now :) and I just had my first day at my new job today too so i'm feeling even more charitable

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
This is pretty funny, if you enter any price under $1 and attempt to split it amongst the different groups this picture pops up.

I got a good chuckle out of it, and before you jump on me I was just toying around with the division of money system. I haven't bought it yet but I will when I get some moneyz.

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
I'll probably only play Trine but sure, why not, I'll throw in a few quid. I got the other two Humble Bundles so I might as well add this one to the collection as well.

DrScoobs

Mar 6, 2009
found out about it as soon as I got home from work :) was a among the first 100 to buy it :) WOO!