Foes Go Planet-Sized in Capcom's Asura's Wrath

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Foes Go Planet-Sized in Capcom's Asura's Wrath

Players of Asura's Wrath will have to summon enough inner strength to take on a planet.

Capcom's Asura's Wrath [http://www.amazon.com/Asuras-Wrath-Playstation-3/dp/B003O6HLOK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1302632735&sr=1-2] may have been flying under your radar, but the game's latest trailer is way too big to let that keep happening. As in, planetary big.

Asura's Wrath follows Asura, a deity angered by his fellow gods that stripped him of his powers. He now uses that overwhelming anger against his enemies. Notably, Capcom says that Asura's Wrath will use an innovative system that allows players to control Asura even during cutscenes for a "seamless player-controlled narrative."

The Unreal Engine 3 title's Dragon Ball Z [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103680-Capcoms-Space-Buddha-Game-Calls-On-West-for-Backbone], and hinted that Asura would have to face foes larger than life. Our second look at the game gives us a peek at how he'll take on a foe as big as a planet.

Apparently, his limbs will explode until he eventually dies. Not the best technique I've seen. Still, it's impressive how he's at least able to stop a giant finger. The trailer's ending hints that Asura might have some kind of regeneration power, or the ability to resurrect. As this is likely just one of many power-stripping gods, it'll be interesting to see what other gargantuan enemies Asura will have to take on.

Asura's Wrath is in development for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

Shameless

Jun 28, 2010
I don't know, the studio's past work wasn't something to brag about, still I will give them a chance.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
*adds game to must watch list*

Ummm...Fuck yes.

Tom Goldman said:
Notably, Capcom says that Asura's Wrath will use an innovative system that allows players to control Asura even during cutscenes for a "seamless player-controlled narrative."
Please don't just be QTEs.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
You know, tell me a Capcom game will have us fighting plannets and i will be less surprised than a bricklayer whos just being told hes expected to work with bricks.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
With Onyx on this one. Something to add to my must play list.

And wasn't it a yellow space buddha in the first trailer?

EDIT: The space buddha in the first trailer it was grey.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
I really hope this does well and frees CyberConnect2 from that Naruto franchise bullshit.

They made .hack! They deserve better!

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Well, since i kinda like over-the-top stuff like this, I'd like to try it out. For example, even anime like this gets me all excited.

And good to see that this trailer had some actual words in it, not like the previous one with all the "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORYAH!!!!!!!"-s. Though they were also pretty awesome.

So, yeah. Really wanna play.

Apr 28, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
Asura's Wrath follows Asura, a deity angered by his fellow gods that stripped him of his powers. He now uses that overwhelming anger against his enemies. Notably, Capcom says that Asura's Wrath will use an innovative system that allows players to control Asura even during cutscenes for a "seamless player-controlled narrative."
About time developers started following Half Life 2's approach to cutscenes.

Thats what they're doing, right? Hopefully?

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Irridium said:
About time developers started following Half Life 2's approach to cutscenes.

Thats what they're doing, right? Hopefully?
Maybe you'll be able to skip them by punching someone in the gob?

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
This game tickles my fancy - the sort of thing you can just let rip on and beat up planet-sized baddies (lol). If only they'd make these sort of things for the PC once in a while - we have gamepads too!

ChocoFace

Nov 19, 2008
Thanks for reminding me that i had to get this. Saw the trailer a long time ago. It'd better be as awesome as it looks.

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
Add Dynasty Warrior music to this or some other form of awesome rock music and I'll definitely play this. Right now though it feels like it needs some rock music though :p

mireko said:
I really hope this does well and frees CyberConnect2 from that Naruto franchise bullshit.

But the Naruto games are so well done. They're clearly the best anime-inspired games I've seen.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
icyneesan said:
Add Dynasty Warrior music to this or some other form of awesome rock music and I'll definitely play this. Right now though it feels like it needs some rock music though :p

mireko said:

But the Naruto games are so well done. They're clearly the best anime-inspired games I've seen.
I just selfishly dislike them for being Naruto games. The fact that they're good only makes it sting more. =(

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
*adds game to must watch list*

Ummm...Fuck yes.

Tom Goldman said:
Notably, Capcom says that Asura's Wrath will use an innovative system that allows players to control Asura even during cutscenes for a "seamless player-controlled narrative."
Please don't just be QTEs.
Agreed.

Shirokurou

Mar 8, 2010
Looking pretty nice.
Asura would actually make a better Dante redesign than the Ninja Theory travesty...