Ubisoft: Assassin's Creed II Less Repetitive, Is "Unpredictable"

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Ubisoft: Assassin's Creed II Less Repetitive, Is "Unpredictable"

Ubisoft seems to be taking great care to address one of the most prominent criticisms of the first Assassin's Creed, namely the monotonous nature of the game's mission design.

Though some folks found a lot to love with the first Assassin's Creed, a good many gamers were grouchy about perceived flaws in how the game was designed, namely that it got really repetitive and tasked the player with a whole lot of drudgery during every assassination mission.

Ubisoft seems to have heard the grumbling and are making it known that things are going to be different in the newest Assassin's Creed. For one, it seems that the overarching structure of the game will be less linear, and possibly proceed in a way other than "travel to X town to kill X dude, rinse and repeat." Instead, Ubisoft's Sebastien Puel says they're "now telling a story in a way that is intended to be very unpredictable. There are no more 'x assassinations' to perform but a story that develops through a great amount of mission givers."

And the missions those givers will dole out to you won't always be chores like pickpocketing or interrogation that grinded on the patience of some gamers before. "There is no limit now to the types of challenges we can give to players," Puel said, giving examples of assassination, intimidation or "info-gathering" missions. "We are very careful to create a lot of variation in the types of gameplay and pace we are proposing."

Combat has also received a significance upgrade in terms of complexity, being based on the first game's fighting system but "with much more possibilities and strategy" in each fight. "Players won't be able to simply button mash, killing guard after guard," Puel explained. "There will be more thinking involved due to the new different guard archetypes and weapons; you will have to strategically plan your every move."

That comes as good news to someone like me who actually deeply enjoyed combat in the first title. Hopefully they haven't made fighting so intricate where I can no longer simply stand around and try to counter-kill every single guard's attacks by stabbing them in the face.

[Via NowGamer [http://www.nowgamer.com/news/670/assassins-creed-2-to-be-more-unpredictable]]

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
yeah i hope they make it better, the first game was pretty boring after the first 2 missions since it was mostly the same thing

honestly they should take a lot from infamous, including the climbing of buildings. i've compared infamous to assassin's creed but say it's they way it should have been

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
Cool, but I hope they put the same amount of work into the new splinter cell.

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
cleverlymadeup said:
yeah i hope they make it better, the first game was pretty boring after the first 2 missions since it was mostly the same thing

honestly they should take a lot from infamous, including the climbing of buildings. i've compared infamous to assassin's creed but say it's they way it should have been
Yeah I kinda like the auto grabbing of ledges and not having to hold a button for it.

civver

May 15, 2009
Though I didn't mind the repetitiveness in the first game too much, it is something to be improved on. And a more non-linear play style would be enjoyable and more immersive.

Jul 9, 2008
Even though I'm apparently one of those rare individuals who didn't feel the flaws of the first game outweighed the benefits, I'm glad that they're listening to us. Lets just hope they don't go the FEAR 2 route and throw the baby out with the bath water.

Also, I kind of already knew this due to the GameInformer a few months ago. Bit late, eh?

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
Aby_Z said:
needausername said:
Does this game have a release date yet?
Nov 17 2009
So, I gotta hold £80 back for this and Modern Warfare 2... On the plus side, it'll be cold outside (well colder, I live in Britain), I can just stay in and use the weather as an excuse.

delet

Nov 2, 2008
needausername said:
Aby_Z said:
needausername said:
Nov 17 2009
So, I gotta hold £80 back for this and Modern Warfare 2... On the plus side, it'll be cold outside (well colder, I live in Britain), I can just stay in and use the weather as an excuse.
Yup. I love the release date. It's exactly 6 days from my birthday, so any game I want, I'm probably getting for free.

AMCization said:
Aby_Z said:
needausername said:
Nov 17 2009
Wait, Nov 17, isn't that...

L4D2 as well?
Indeed it is. Luckily, I'm part of the group that wants to boycott L4D2. No way I'm buying that -_-

oblivionenigma

Jun 2, 2009
Awesome. I really enjoyed the first game, though I agree with the complaints. I felt that, in spite of how fun I found it to be, it was barely touching the surface of the potential the series had. The idea that they will actually listen to gamers and open up more possibilities seems wonderful.

Oh yeah, and Ubisoft... please... give me an ending to this one that doesn't make me want to break my hard drive this time. Seriously, the first one's ending was so...grr... well... anyone who's played the game can sympathize, I'm sure :\

delet

Nov 2, 2008
oblivionenigma said:
Awesome. I really enjoyed the first game, though I agree with the complaints. I felt that, in spite of how fun I found it to be, it was barely touching the surface of the potential the series had. The idea that they will actually listen to gamers and open up more possibilities seems wonderful.

Oh yeah, and Ubisoft... please... give me an ending to this one that doesn't make me want to break my hard drive this time. Seriously, the first one's ending was so...grr... well... anyone who's played the game can sympathize, I'm sure :\
Yea... Might as well write 'BUY THE NEXT GAME PLOX!!!' on that wall...

RRilef

Dangerfield Newby
Jan 5, 2009
I'm really looking forward to Assassin's Creed 2. The first game was very repetitive, filled with terrible AI, and sometimes felt too easy. But it was such a fun game despite all those things that once they are gone, I can only imagine how great this game will be.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
RRilef said:
I'm really looking forward to Assassin's Creed 2. The first game was very repetitive, filled with terrible AI, and sometimes felt too easy. But it was such a fun game despite all those things that once they are gone, I can only imagine how great this game will be.
I couldn't have said it better myself - the original was one of my favourite games - and the promise of less repetitive missions only makes the long wait until release more difficult...

Ashbax

Jan 7, 2009
Keane Ng said:
That comes as good news to someone like me who actually deeply enjoyed combat in the first title. Hopefully they haven't made fighting so intricate where I can no longer simply stand around and try to counter-kill every single guard's attacks by stabbing them in the face.

>
I hear that. I liked the combat in the first game, But still spent most of my time one shotting everyone (Including assasination targets) With a hidden-blade counter to the face.