Most People Dressed As Smurfs Record Set in Swansea

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Most People Dressed As Smurfs Record Set in Swansea

The world record for the most people dressed as Smurfs at a single time now belongs to the Welsh city of Swansea, where a group of 2,510 blue-skinned college students gathered to obliterate the previous record.

Oh, college. While your parents are back home imagining that you're in the library 24/7 cramming away at your studies, you're wasting all your time playing videogames, eating pizza, and really making the most of your youth. And what better way to do that than to get yourself into the Guiness Book of World Records by helping set the new record for most people dressed as Smurfs at a single time.

Yes, it's quite an accomplishment. 2,510 people, most of whom were students at a local university, gathered into a nightclub in the Welsh city of Swansea to pull it off. Dressed in white clothing, each participant had to be checked from head to toe to make sure that no natural skin color was showing - Smurfs are blue, in case you didn't know.

The previous record was 1,253 people, so the Swansea group officially has it by a huge margin. "We knew that if we were going to break the record, we had to do it in style and 2,510 Smurfs will be a tough act to follow for any budding record-breaks," Rebecca Oatley, one of the Smurfs in attendance, said.

And this is just the beginning. "We are hoping to set, break and smash Guinness World Records for iconic characters from Daleks to Superheroes," Oatley said. "Watch this space."

This is what a college education will get you, ladies and gentlemen. Memories. Memories that will last forever.

[Via The Telegraph [http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/5484560/World-record-for-most-people-dressed-as-Smurfs-in-Swansea.html]]

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Holy....

I have to say, I'm impressed. I wasn't aware the population of crazies was that large anywhere.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
And the award for biggest large scale self-humiliation still belongs to 4Chan.
When People Dressing up like Smurfs is still less humiliating than you, you have Screwed up royaly.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
This confused me at first, as to whether it was college or university, then you explained it. Either way, it's impressive.

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
I know about half of my schools senior rugby team had a big party at the end of the year, were everyone went as either a smurf or the Hulk, so lots of body paint either way.

I III II X4

Nov 14, 2008
Wow, I thought that said "Most People Depressed As Smurfs Record Set in Swansea".

Anyway, go them!

Low Key

May 7, 2009
ChromeAlchemist said:
This confused me at first, as to whether it was college or university, then you explained it. Either way, it's impressive.
In America, they equate to the same thing. I know, we're strange. But dressing up like Smurfs is even more strange...

Chimaera

Niche Game Fangirl
Oct 28, 2005
This is kinda smurfy, wherein smurfy means really, really odd.

Ah, college hijinks. :D