Star Fox 64 3D Lands Arwing on 3DS in July

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Star Fox 64 3D Lands Arwing on 3DS in July

Nintendo has confirmed an official release date for Star Fox 64 3D.

One of Nintendo's techniques to generate content on the Star Fox 64 3D [http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-3DS-Cosmo-Black/dp/B002I096AA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302709586&sr=8-1], and Nintendo has just given it a solid release date.

A solid release date at least for Japan, anyway. The Japanese website [http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/anrj/index.html] for Star Fox 64 3D reveals a date of July 14, 2011.

There's no confirmation of the date for other regions. Yesterday, Nintendo released its Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109190-Nintendo-Lineup-Confirms-Ocarina-of-Time-3D-for-June] for June 19 in North America. Ocarina of Time 3D is scheduled for June 16 in Japan, so Star Fox 64 3D may not be that far off from July 14 elsewhere. However, it's a bit odd that Star Fox would be left out of the lineup.

The website also confirms that Star Fox 64 3D will be getting a visual upgrade along the lines of Ocarina of Time 3D. A mini-video at the bottom of the site shows off higher resolution models of Fox, Slippy, Peppy, and Falco running to their ships. It'd be nice if Nintendo saw fit to add new content too, perhaps along the lines of extra levels, bonus modes, or online multiplayer. There was nothing more satisfying in Star Fox 64 than taking out a friend in an Arwing with a bazooka while on foot.

Source: Andriasang [http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/anrj/index.html]

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
About time. With Street Fighter, Zelda, and this, I think I can occupy myself for a few months.

lionheart_1

Mar 18, 2010
Note to Nintendo: You'll get more people buying the 3DS if you make original games for the console, rather than rehashing games that try to feed on the nostalgia felt by gamers of yesteryear (like myself for example).

FiveSpeedf150

Sep 30, 2009
antipodean said:
Note to Nintendo: You'll get more people buying the 3DS if you make original games for the console, rather than rehashing games that try to
feed on the nostalgia felt by gamers of yesteryear (like myself for example).
Not true in my case! I could give a shit less about Nintendo since they too the family-friendly route, but a chance to relive my middle school glory days on OOT and Starfox is tempting indeed...

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
antipodean said:
Note to Nintendo: You'll get more people buying the 3DS if you make original games for the console, rather than rehashing games that try to feed on the nostalgia felt by gamers of yesteryear (like myself for example).
New Paper Mario, new 3d Mario, new Mario Kart, (yes it's kind of pathetic that I just listed 3 Mario titles, completely different though they may be) plus w/e they're gonna announce at E3...I'd say they're doing fine.

I think we can definitely expect improved multiplayer with online play. They also said there was gonna be a new arcade type mode that focuses on highscores. My guess is that you'll be able to pick levels from a list in that.

My N64 broke about a year ago and I hadn't touched SF64 for several years before that, so I'm eager to play through it again. Hopefully the touchscreen won't be dedicated to displaying the button layout....

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
antipodean said:
Yeah... it used to be that Nintendo would release new iterations of their series as opposed to re-makes of old iterations. I mean. This took work. New models, new textures, almost necessarily a new engine, new UI design... to release the same exact game with the same exact characters and story. Why not just make it a new game at this point? That'd be a lot more exciting...

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Yes, Yes, YES!
More reason to save up for one.
Ill hopefully get one in may.
Plenty of time to save up for it and OOT.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
More N64 do-overs? Call me when they have new games.

Electrogecko said:
New Paper Mario, new 3d Mario, new Mario Kart, (yes it's kind of pathetic that I just listed 3 Mario titles, completely different though they may be) plus w/e they're gonna announce at E3...I'd say they're doing fine.
A new Paper Mario we know nothing about, a new 3D Mario we know nothing about, and a Mario Kart title which will probably be just the same as either Mario Kart DS or Mario Kart Wii because there really isn't that much you can do with cart racing. I'd say they're not doing fine right now.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
I want the original star fox back, not that 64 bit garbage! LONG LIVE THE SNES

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Tom Goldman said:
There was nothing more satisfying in Star Fox 64 than taking out a friend in an Arwing with a bazooka while on foot.
What? There were no on-foot sections in StarFox 64

OT: This is more than amazing. If anything could get me to buy a 3DS it would be this game. It was the first game I ever played and I loved it.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
JUMBO PALACE said:
Tom Goldman said:
There was nothing more satisfying in Star Fox 64 than taking out a friend in an Arwing with a bazooka while on foot.
In multiplayer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX-pGlStTZw

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Tom Goldman said:
JUMBO PALACE said:
Tom Goldman said:
In multiplayer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX-pGlStTZw
WHAAAAAAAT?!!! That is so amazing! I can't believe I never knew about this. I guess I should have had more friends when I was a kid :/

Merlark

Dec 18, 2003
I have never been against remakes, in some cases devoted fans have had to take the reigns to bring in old classics that you just can't play anymore these days by traditional means and I think that's Awesome.

But seriously is there some sort of rule at nintendo about their Naming convention. I mean think about this for a second, okay its Star Fox. Just plain Starfox because its not a sequal to the starfox on the SNES, instead we add the 64 prefix at the end to tie it in that this is a NEW starfox Series for the N64.

Now we recreate the game for the 3DS and its not Starfox 3DS it's starfox 64 3DS because its a recreation of the first SNES starfox game for the N64 but now recreated again for the 3DS but its a clone of the original 64 title...

Why must there be this dewy decimal system for Nintendo games? why place the system in the title. when you pre-order starfox 64 3DS your not asking for the game your defining the parameters of the game.

To throw the gamestop guys off we should all go to the counter and ask, "Hey can I preorder that starfox game remade for the N64 system then ported to the 3DS system?"

I hope they do add allot of extra features, a company with as much money as nintendo should put a little effort if they are going to port their stuff. i'm almost a little bugged, yeah the slightly better graphics are nice but the 3DS is capable of much more then that, why not go full out and show of some of the system hardware while you are at it?

oh well, here's to earning James Mc'clouds Shades for the 5th time. :)

notyouraveragejoe

Dehakchakala!
Nov 8, 2008
This looks brilliant. Eventually when the price drops I may just buy the 3DS for this and Orcarina of Time. Now all I need is a 3D Pokemon game....

Though I just got a second hand DS Lite really cheap so that should tide me over for a while.